Okay I broke down... need a holster AGAIN

This is a discussion on Okay I broke down... need a holster AGAIN within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay I broke down. I got the GP 100 with the 3" barrel. Now if this was the 4"er I'd already have a holster for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay I broke down... need a holster AGAIN

Okay I broke down. I got the GP 100 with the 3" barrel. Now if this was the 4"er I'd already have a holster for it, but I like making things hard on myself.

I'm going a little out there on this one. I thought about it carefully and I'm looking for two designs:

#1. A tuckable holster. It's the one thing in my carry setup that I don't have is a tuckable holster so I can wear a full size gun without an untucked shirt or jacket. I've long wanted to do this with a revolver but the 4"ers are just a hair too long. I mean less than an inch shorter and they'd be perfect... hence the 3" barrel I just bought should work fine.

It'd be ideal if the grip of the revolver actually protruded above the waistline, but you could tuck your shirt around in front of it to hide it. I can easily disguise any belt attachment point so that's not a problem. I don't need some weird velcro thing.

#2. A pancake holster for carry at 3 o clock. I understand a number of makers make excellent pancake holsters. This would be for more casual settings, times I could dress around the gun to disguise its presence, or times I might not have to conceal it.

Euc? remember those older S&W pancake holsters that they made for the 2 1/2 -3 inch 686 models? I have one, and tried my Ruger in it (the one I just bought) geeeeeze.. it fit like a glove.....just in case you have something like that hanging out in your holster box

That I don't have. I do have one holster that's a generic sleeve looking deal that actually works really well on a wide variety of revolvers, it just looks like it wouldn't work worth a hoot.

Anything that would fit an L frame Smith should work for a Ruger GP100.

Comp Tac CTAC or Milt Sparks with the tuckable clips.

If you're tucking, I would suggest a pair of Hogue's hard nylon pebble finish grips. Better traction, and not as pricey as wood, and definitely won't hang up you over-garment. Leather is nice, but I like BladeTech.......

Those are some interesting ideas. Apparently, if you don't care about tucking, the Don Hume IWB holsters are popular with this gun. I think I'll go kydex or try one of those or maybe both...

Lead Moderator
    I have the Tuck this by Desantis. not too bad and the grip does ride above the waistline. Nylon material .

I've gotta ask, isn't a GP-100 in an IWB a bit uncomfortable? I carry my 642 IWB and even that took a good bit to get use to. How much extra belt length does that require? Might try my M66 if the GP works for you.

Several leather benders make tuckable designs you might like. For pancake holsters, I'm looking into those myself and thinking seriously about Eric Larsen of HBE - plenty of options available to get exactly what you want.
    Jack

P.S. Actually, I'm checking into having Eric make a COM3 tuckable for my 642 now as well. I'll let you know what he says.
    Last edited by maclean3; November 5th, 2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added tuckable info.

That's why I'm asking... but I have two holsters for L frame Smiths that ride IWB and they work just fine. It's all about where you carry it. A full sized revolver is a tall order and I have to carry it in front of my strong side hip. I do find it very uncomfortable to carry when I have to sit down for any length of time however, so I just carry the XD40 95% of the time any more.

I will admit that I have to be wearing my good stout gunbelt to keep it in place though.

After much searching, I'm actually thinking I may pick up a Desantis Speed Scabbard which isn't quite what I'd originally thought of, but would be all around more useful.

Well Euc, you got me thinking ... and that's never a good thing.
    I just placed my order with Eric Larsen for a full carry rig for my 642:

- Tuckable COM3 iwb holster
    - New 1-1/2" belt
    - Speedloader carrier
    - Surefire 6P carrier

All of the above in a custom, "Distressed brown" finish (looks sorta like a bomber's jacket). It's gonna be Suh-weeeet!

All of this is ENTIRELY your fault though, I hope you know that! Good luck with your own holster search, I'm well pleased with mine - other than having to wait for him to make it that is.
    Jack

The hate spreads.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well........see! Im glad I had nothing to do with it, its all his fault! :chairshot

Shoot well and thanks for the kind words.........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    Well........see! Im glad I had nothing to do with it, its all his fault! :chairshot
    Heh heh, it's not gonna be YOUR fault until my gear is safely here at home. I'm not half as think as you dumb I am.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Gee...

I wish I lived in a CCW state, so I could justify buying all the leather... but....

I prolly couldn't afford it anyway!!!

LOL

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    (SNIP)

- Tuckable COM3 iwb holster
    - New 1-1/2" belt
    - Speedloader carrier
    - Surefire 6P carrier

All of the above in a custom, "Distressed brown" finish (looks sorta like a bomber's jacket). It's gonna be Suh-weeeet!

(SNIP)
    Can you post a photo of your gun and rig when you get the leather?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links