Appendix Carry: Homemade Holster for a Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry: Homemade Holster for a Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pasted this from my blog. The link is below in my sig. The blog includes a short video. First a little background: I've had ...

Thread: Appendix Carry: Homemade Holster for a Kahr PM9

Appendix Carry: Homemade Holster for a Kahr PM9

I pasted this from my blog. The link is below in my sig. The blog includes a short video.

First a little background:

I've had my little PM9 for a while now and it's been great as a pocket gun with the homemade pocket holster I made for it. The problem is I carry so much stuff in my pockets that sometimes the bug can't go with me and I just stick with my primary. Then a couple weeks ago I went to Florida for a family vacation and decided to bring my wife's snub nose .38 special. It's adorned with Barami Hip Grips so that it can simply be slid into the waistline sans holster. This was my first extended session of appendix carry with any firearm and it wasn't as intolerable as it would seem.

The ease at simply stuffing the gun in my waistband at the easily accessible 1:00-2:00 o'clock position and heading out without worrying about tucking or the gun sliding down my pants all without having to wear a belt was a revelation. In Florida my attire was always ultra casual with a t-shirt and shorts which is ideal for "stuff & go", but at home about 94.8% of the time I'm in pants with a tucked in shirt. The hip grips aren't tuckable and besides the snub stays with the wife. That leaves me with my PM9 and an idea.

About Appendix Carry:

Appendix carry isn't nearly as widely used as strong side carry for a number of reasons. First, it requires a gun with a very short barrel and grip, both as thin as possible. In front of your hip, if your gun has too long a barrel it'll jab your leg like crazy when you sit down. Trust me, it's not fun. Some guns that could work are: Kahr's subcompacts, any of Kel-tec's line, the Walther PPS, Taurus' subcompacts, J-frame sized snubs, and probably any 3" 1911. Some folks can get away using double stack subcompacts like the Glock 26, but they're significantly thicker. Second, not everyone's body type will work with a gun in that position. This is not to say that you can't have a gut if you want to appendix carry, but if it's spilling over your belt then it definitely won't be comfortable. Lastly, there is the common fear (mostly among men) that appendix carry places the weapon dangerously close to the family jewels. My belief is that with the right weapon, holster and proper training (ie muzzle control, finger placement, etc.) appendix carry is no less dangerous than any other form of carry.

The pros to appendix carry are significant. You have quick easy access with optional access with your weak hand if necessary. It takes less shoulder articulation to draw from your centerline than from past the 3 o'clock position strong side. It is also much easier to draw while seated from this position when driving. If for some reason your strong hand has become disabled you can still reach your firearm with your weak hand. For concealed carry purposes, you have constant awareness of your gun's concealment. It's much easier to lessen the chance of being "made" because of inadvertent exposure with the gun directly in front of you than to your side or behind you. If being able to tuck in your shirt is a requirement than that always adds an additional layer difficulty to quickly accessing and drawing. The solution is simple; practice, practice, practice.

My Homemade Appendix Holster:

A few months back I bought a few sheets of kydex to play with. I'd seen a couple tutorials online showing how easy it was to form it and I thought I'd try my hand at it. At the time I had a Kel-tec P3AT and tried making a holster for it. My attempt was mildly successful in that it could hold the gun and protect the trigger when worn, but it was very rough and totally uncomfortable. I sold that gun and tossed the holster in a box. My next pocket gun purchase was my PM9 and when I thought about trying out appendix carry I dug out that first kydex try and realizing that there might be enough kydex there to reform it around the PM9 I figured why not try.

Kydex is cool stuff and short of cutting it into shreds it gives you multiple tries to reshape it however you want. I wanted the kydex to cover fairly high on both sides of the slide, not only as a sweat shield against my skin, but also to ease reholstering. Many other kydex designs like to trim it low on the belt side and if the whole holster is worn low on the waist sometimes the pants or belt will slightly cover the holster opening. My Crossbreed can do that at times as you can see in the video on my blog. I also used a separate clip so that a shirt can be tucked over the gun. You might recognize the clip, it's actually scavenged from a Comp-Tac CTAC holster that came with the PM9 from the previous owner. It's a 1.25" clip which works great since it almost completely hides behind my 1.5" belt. The extra holes drilled into it are from experimenting with different clips & attachments at different times. The design is kind of a cross between the Comp-Tac's 2 O'clock and the Ehud Appendix Carry Holster. With a gun as light as the PM9 there's no worries about the single clip attachment being sufficient to support the weight. I've worn this holster in workout shorts and as long as I tighten the drawstring I haven't had any problems with the holster pulling out on the draw. Having a single attachment point in this position also helps in that the gun has a little bit of leeway to rotate when sitting down or twisting which helps in the comfort department.

Speaking about comfort, which is probably at the top of the list of desirable traits, this holster ranks a solid 7.5 out of 10. I rounded off all the edges I could, but because kydex is so stiff it can still poke at times. Unlike my Crossbreed which can at many times be forgotten when being worn, you can always remember you're wearing this holster. That's really not a bad thing, but it could be more comfortable. I could see a leather version having more give, except it could never be as thin as kydex and unless it had a reinforced mouth (more thickness) it would quickly collapse after the draw.

As you can see in these pictures concealment is quite good. Even from the side because of the tucked in shirt and small size of the gun there's no discernible bulge. At times the bottom part of the clip may peek under the belt, but it's not very noticeable and easily overlooked.

Appendix carry is good way to carry your primary or even your bug. Give it a try.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Nice holster,

I like tuckable appendix carry holsters
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

great job !

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    My belief is that with the right weapon, holster and proper training (ie muzzle control, finger placement, etc.) appendix carry is no less dangerous than any other form of carry.
    So would you say then, that it is MORE dangerous? haha
    Last edited by TacticalCompact; June 17th, 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: bold for emphasis

Lead Moderator
    Great job! Looks like you have a good handle on shaping kydex.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well done! I'm impressed with your efforts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    So would you say then, that it is MORE dangerous? haha
    Thanks for catching that, I'll fix it.

Resembles Comp-Tac 2 o'clock

Your holster strongly resembles the Comp-Tac 2 o'clock holster, which I use for my Kahr MK9.

Mine works very well and I like appendix carry for a small gun like the MK9.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nice job, although ideally I'd like to see less daylight through the triggerguard. I chalk that up to re-purposing the P3AT holster and just not having enough kydex left to completely cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    At times the bottom part of the clip may peek under the belt, but it's not very noticeable and easily overlooked.
    Isn't that the standard Comp-Tac clip that's supposed to go over the belt?
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

You're right on both accounts. There is a tad more daylight thru the trigger guard than I would normally have which is because I reused the kydex, but the trigger itself is covered so I'm not worried about anything being able to catch it. All of Comp-Tac's standard clips are designed to go over a belt, but I used it under mine for more concealment. Yes, the weight is then supported mainly by my pants, but I keep the clip directly next to a belt loop which is supported by my belt and the weight of a PM9 even fully loaded is quite light. I know now you'll say that there is nothing to keep the holster from coming out of my pants along with the gun. That's where the high sides of the holster near the slide comes into play. I use my thumb to push off the holster until it clears the retention of the trigger guard. It works very smoothly and in practice has never pulled my holster out. It even works in running shorts as long as I have the drawstring tied tight.

Very nicely done.

Links