SIG 220 Holster and Belt Advice

This is a discussion on SIG 220 Holster and Belt Advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys- I am looking to pick up either a 220 Carry or a 220 Compact to carry. I know this is a pretty big ...

Thread: SIG 220 Holster and Belt Advice

Hey guys-

I am looking to pick up either a 220 Carry or a 220 Compact to carry.

I know this is a pretty big pretty heavy gun for CCW so I need a good belt and holster....

I am pretty interested in the Wilderness Products instructor belt, does anyone have any advice on that or a similarly priced gun belt? Do I need the poly reinforced belt or will the 5 stitch work?

Also after carrying IWB for a while, I'm pretty sure I want to try OWB carry, Open Carry is legal here, so the occasional peek wouldnt be a problem I think most people are far to concerned about printing, I personally think that people pay very little attention to lump and bumps around peoples waistband anymore with all the cell phones PDA's etc.

I think a fairly high ride OWB holster that held the holster close to the body, maybe a holster that goes between the belt and the pants would work......

I dont know help me out, I have never shopped for an OWB holster before, again cost is a pretty important factor.

Thanks
    Josh

I have a full size P220. Open carry is not an option in my state, but I carry this in cold weather under a jacket or sweatshirt in a DeSantis speed scabbard holster and it holds it very tightly and high enough. You know--the P220 isn't really as heavy as alot of other pistols I can think of, and not nearly as much as a 1911 type pistol of compact size. You definitely want a good belt though and I use an 1 1/2" that's obviously not in this picture.

Please do some research over at sigforum prior to purchasing a P220 Carry or Compact.

I spent over $900 on a Compact SAS that is a sweet looking 5 shooter.

Too bad for me the magazine holds six.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Senior Moderator
    The Wilderness 5 stitch is an excellent belt. Unless you're carrying a complete bat-belt full of gear, the 5 stitch is plenty stiff.

For a holster, I suggest the Comp-Tac MTAC. It's IWB, but super comfortable.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Hey guys-

I am looking to pick up either a 220 Carry or a 220 Compact to carry.

I know this is a pretty big pretty heavy gun for CCW so I need a good belt and holster....

I am pretty interested in the Wilderness Products instructor belt, does anyone have any advice on that or a similarly priced gun belt? Do I need the poly reinforced belt or will the 5 stitch work?

Also after carrying IWB for a while, I'm pretty sure I want to try OWB carry, Open Carry is legal here, so the occasional peek wouldnt be a problem I think most people are far to concerned about printing, I personally think that people pay very little attention to lump and bumps around peoples waistband anymore with all the cell phones PDA's etc.

I think a fairly high ride OWB holster that held the holster close to the body, maybe a holster that goes between the belt and the pants would work......

I dont know help me out, I have never shopped for an OWB holster before, again cost is a pretty important factor.

Thanks
    Josh

I have a P220 compact that I carry daily. I use both inside waist band and outside waist band holsters, depending on what I wear. If you go to Sigforum, you'll pick up on some problems with the P220 Carry, most of these problems revolve around the internal extractor design. Initially, I had to send my compact back to Sig for some work regarding a failure to feed the last round in the magazine. Bottom line, Sig made good and I have a pistol now that is a pleasure to shoot and to carry and is amazingly accurate.

As far as holster recommendations go, for OWB wear, Sam Andrews at Andrews Custom Leather, is THE man!!! His holsters are truly some of the most comfortable I have had the pleasure to wear. He's a great guy to do business with and really knows his stuff, plus, his holsters are really reasonably priced.

Andrews Custom Leather

As far as belts go, I have 5 belts from Jim Speidel, The Beltman. His belts form the foundation for every single holster I have. Again, he's a gentleman it's a pleasure to do business with and his belts are of extremely high quality.

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

Hope this information helps.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

VIP Member
    Before I switched over to 1911's, I carried the P-220R Carry regularly.

My choice was IWB in a VM-II but during the winter months I occasionally used a Galco Concealable OWB holster and the Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt. The belt was absolutely fine with both IWB and OWB holster and the P-220.

Kramer's Gun Scabbard is a very nice OWB holster you might want to check out.

But I have to say, the very best way for me to carry my SIG was IWB with the VM-II!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a Beltman and a Wilderness Instructor w/ CSM insert. There is absolutely no doubt that the double-width bullhide is a noticably better foundation for a big gun than the Instructor, even though I like the Instructor for IDPA.

My P220 rides in an MTAC for IWB and a Regulator by Nate at UBG Holsters for OWB. Nate does great work for a good price and has a much shorter turnaround time than just about any other custom leather smith. I give a big ol' to Nate and to the Beltman.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    My Spanky New Uber~Custom Leather 220 OWB Rig will be arriving at a front door near me...Real Soon!

No further information is available at this time.

What a teaser I am.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    My Sig P220 SAS loves it's home in a Full Belt Slide from Boom-Stick Holsters BOOM-STICK HOLSTERS - Belt Holsters
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links