Shoulder Holsters

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the range Thursday and the person working the counter had a shoulder holster open carry. Well the gun was holstered horizontally ...

Thread: Shoulder Holsters

Shoulder Holsters

So I went to the range Thursday and the person working the counter had a shoulder holster open carry. Well the gun was holstered horizontally so when she turned around the barrel pretty much was pointing at me. So pretty much anyone behind someone with this style holster has the weapon pointing at them whether concealed or not. Personally I feel a little uneasy knowing/experiencing this. Thoughts?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

I know what you mean. It makes me pretty uneasy too. If the firearm is a true double action (like a Sig) or a D.A. revolver, I think that it is probably OK. It truly scares the hell out of me to see a cocked 1911 or a Glock carried in such a manner (particularly when you consider that a pretty high percentage of folks AD a round as soon as the trigger is exposed when they are faced with the stress of a real lethal force encounter)
    A shoulder rig is pretty much a special purpose rig for folks that are seated alot - stakeout squads, dignitary/executive protection personnel, pilots and drivers. They have tremendous drawbacks as a general self defense tool.

Administrator

Shoulder Carry - My Opinion

I carry horizontally in a shoulder rig often. With a high quality firearm in a proper shoulder holster it is just not a problem.
    Perhaps psychologically & visually it's a problem if the firearm is visible but, mechanically it is not a problem.
    Think about this - If you carry "at the waist" & Muzzle Down....Remember that when you walk around "Upstairs" on a second or third floor in your own home...YOU ARE covering the tops of the heads of your family members on the floor below.
    Just because you can't see the them (or their heads) walking around down below you...does not mean a bullet won't find easily them through the floor should you happen to have a N.D.

That usually does not scare people BECAUSE they don't think about it because they don't see it. It is no "less real" of a danger though. Or NOT a danger if your firearm is properly holstered.
    Remember that any quality firearm left alone in a proper holster is safe if it has been holstered in a "made safe" condition.
    Putting a loaded firearm in a good holster is as safe as putting a firearm in a drawer. It is going to stay inert unless it is fiddled around with.
    The bottom line is that no matter what "mode of carry" you choose your firearm should be properly holstered & then left alone.
    Accidents happen when people screw around & fidget with their holstered carry firearms.

Administrator

Oh BTW

Way Back in the days when I hung out in a room full of city dicks...at least 8 detectives carried horiz. shoulder & with everybody CONSTANTLY walking back & forth you DO get used to it in very short order.

Assistant Administrator
    I don't have a prob' with sho rigs but do choose the more ''conventional'' types like my Bianchi X-15 - this front break makes for an easy and smooth draw for me.

Of course - my std OWB rig still has a muzzle pointing down at people's heads below if I am on a floor above! I really do not see ''in holster'' muzzle sweep as a problem generally - way different from a hand holding the sweeping gun!

Much has to do I think with the individual's skill level and safety approach. I don't use a sho rig all that much now but it sure is handy sometimes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    no more dangerous than any other holster. Its the user ya gotta watch out for.

What Rocky said. Heck, my main carry gun is a single action (just because you can't see the bits and pieces don't mean it's not a single action) and I'd trust it to that carry position if I wanted to carry that way. Why should I freak about about anyone else?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    So I went to the range Thursday and the person working the counter had a shoulder holster open carry. Well the gun was holstered horizontally so when she turned around the barrel pretty much was pointing at me. So pretty much anyone behind someone with this style holster has the weapon pointing at them whether concealed or not. Personally I feel a little uneasy knowing/experiencing this. Thoughts?
    I may be off base on this one, but I would think that if you can't "trust" the weapon in a holster, no matter what the orientation of the weapon, you shouldn't be carring it period!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Interesting Addition

Years ago I personally range tested the Colt 1911 in a junk leather Galco holster - I used a "utility knife" to cut away the entire trigger guard area of the holster so that I could pull the pistol trigger with the Colt "thumb safety" in the off position & only the leather holster retention strap between the cocked hammer & the firing pin & I could not get the pistol to fire.
    So if anybody is that concerned about any holstered Colt Type pistol NOT being 100% safe then....buy a leather holster with a retention strap between the hammer & the rear face of the slide.
    It's really a bit of overkill but, if it makes any shooter feel better then it will not slow up your draw that much if you practice.

no doesnt bother me i know yeah it points point point at the ground it points at your side and rear ...

I carried a Glock in a holster like that all weekend log just told dad dont walk behind me anyone else sorry ya take your chances

Links