CTAC/MTAC v K&D Dakota Defender - Page 2

CTAC/MTAC v K&D Dakota Defender

This is a discussion on CTAC/MTAC v K&D Dakota Defender within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the CTAC and MTAC. Of the two, the MTAC is definately more comfortable IMO. The leather feels better than the kydex does against ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have the CTAC and MTAC. Of the two, the MTAC is definately more comfortable IMO. The leather feels better than the kydex does against the body. I have no experience with K&D.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh26oo View Post
    K.D. have you decided on which one to get already? If so which one and how is it working out for you?
    I did (it ended up being none of the above) and it should be here any day now... I keep my fingers crossed whenever I check my mailbox at work...lol
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

So what did you decide on?

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    The Mason-Dixon from Bluegrass Holsters... Brock dialogued with me and answered my questions and concerns and is actually going to be making some 2.5" belt loops for me so I can carry while kilted...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Thanks for all the great input guys. I was actually leaning towards K&D due to the initial responses, but then I had this email exchange with Kevin from K&D (I sent him an email when I posted here):

Kevin Manley's response:

Now I found that to be an odd response to an honest question... Everything I've heard is that Kevin is really great at working with customers to get exactly what they need, etc... So I sent this email to maybe clarify a bit:

And I just got this response:

So it seems that for some reason K&D Holsters doesn't want my business... Unless you guys have a different view on this, I guess my money's going to Comp-Tac. It's a shame too, K&D sounds like it would have been a good choice from what you guys said.
    That is strange, while I have never sent him a email, I have spoke to him on the phone a few times. He has always been polite and I never felt like he wanted to get off the phone fast. One time I called and didn't get him or wait for the anwsering machine, before I could sit down he called me back. But if I got the response you got I would do the same thing.

lol... I figured I'd get some "Just get both"...
    That's because we all know that you eventually WILL get both. - We don't have to tell you to..

And If I had to bet, that's probably what Kevin was thinking. - Consider this: when YOU thought you were just asking a question about the features of a merchant's products, what KEVIN perceived was yet another person asking him to defend his product against a lower priced competitor. - One that is a flat sheet of leather and a couple of pressed-plastic bits, compared to his hand crafted leather works.

I bet it's more inline to assume his answer isn't so much translated as "go away kid, you're bothering me" as much as " If you don't know what you are looking for, an M-tac is a good choice. I won't be able to convince you via eMail that my product is worth the price unless you have a baseline experience in CC."

- but that's just a guess on my part.

Oh, and I just got my first Bluegrass Holster... Love it. - I had Brock modify the standard design for a one-off piece for me, and his work is TOP notch. - I had to send it back once, but that's because of the custom tweaks I wanted and we both (Brock and I ) were half-expecting that.

going to be making some 2.5" belt loops for me so I can carry while kilted...
    please, please, PLEASE... post some pics of that. Now you've got me REALLY curious.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

I have owned all three you mentioned and ended up selling the Defender. Beautiful holster, high quality work but couldn't quite get the fit I needed. The CTAC was the champ until I got an MTAC. No looking back....if you can't get that thing to fit than forget about IWB. Seriously.

Very comfortable and honestly, I mentioned this in another thread but why would I want to put an M&P 45 in a $150 leather holster that I wear INSIDE MY PANTS. Who cares how it looks...comfort and the ability to conceal my weapon is what I want!

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    K&D makes a great holster. I ordered a Dakota Defender in February. I think I got it in late May or early June. Their website states that they have a lengthy lead time and they mean it. I really liked the holster.

After using it for a few weeks on some really hot days, I noticed that the black suede on the back of the holster was staining my clothes. I asked Kevin if this was common and what I should do about it. He said that's never happened before and offered to replace the suede if I sent it back. So I sent back about a month ago. I'm still waiting for it to come back.

K&D does make a holster that is worth waiting for. It's a shame that I have to hide it when I wear it. If your anxious to get a new holster, order the MTAC. If you don't mind waiting, a K&D holster is worth the wait. Or order the MTAC and then order a Dakota Defender. Having too many holsters is as hard as having too many guns.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    jlh26oo.....First off, Welcome Aboard to the forum!

I have both the CTAC and MTAC. The MTAC is only slightly bulker, I really don't notice it. As for the 'one-size-fits-all'.....I sugest wear it as it comes, if it needs adjusting you could cut some of the leather away. Do a search and you'll find it. One of our members posted pictures of his 'adjusted' MTAC.
    Thanks!

Yeah, I don't think I'd alter it. Either it would work for me as-is, or I'd just swap it out. I'm certain the C.T.A.C. would be fine comfort wise, since I currently use a Comp-Tac U.C. Pro (bare kydex) and it's fine. What's hard for me to deny about the M.T.A.C. is its VERSATILITY.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    So what did you decide on?

NCH
    The Mason-Dixon from Bluegrass Holsters... Brock dialogued with me and answered my questions and concerns and is actually going to be making some 2.5" belt loops for me so I can carry while kilted...
    That's funny, I went exactly the opposite. Due to reasons I won't bring up on the forum I decided against Bluegrass and called Kevin today and ordered one of his new "Thunderbird" holsters with a tweak here and there. Kevin was very pleasant to deal with and made the transaction very easy. I know it will be worth the wait as I have had other holsters from him.
    I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about an idea I had for a convertable IWB/OWB holster, turns out Kevin had already had this design in the works, even though others think they reinvented the wheel with this design, Kevin calls this new holster "The Thunderbird" and he should have photos on his site soon. Of course I will post photos of mine when I receive it, around Thanksgiving!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have one on order also I cant wait.
    I already got the Bluegrass Holsters Ghost for my HK USP with the gator trim from Brock and I liked it so much I thought I would try the Mason-Dixon for my colt officers. Brock was great to work with and I like the fact he listened to what I was asking for and was willing to put the time into customizing. Since I have never carried OWB before the Mason-Dixon convertable seemed like a good way to hedge my bet.

I will post some pictures and let you know how I like it soon as it arives.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links