OWB Holster Suggestions

OWB Holster Suggestions

This is a discussion on OWB Holster Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to get an OWB holster for my Sig 229R. I carry IWB all the time, the OWB holster will only be used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB Holster Suggestions

OWB Holster Suggestions

I am looking to get an OWB holster for my Sig 229R. I carry IWB all the time, the OWB holster will only be used for USPSA shooting and for hunting trips(some horseback riding).

Holster must be leather(cuz I like em that way) and <$100. I don't think I want a retention strap due to the USPSA shooting, but It will need to hold the gun securely.

I was thinking of getting a Galco Combat Master. Looks like a good setup, and would be boned to fit my gun perfectly. Anyone have experience with this?

Any suggestions of other holsters to look at.

Thanks.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Check out High Noon Holster's Sky High holster. High Noon makes very good holsters.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I have used my OWB carry holster(s) for USPSA matches before. I've never taken my SIG to these events as I don't do single stack, but I like my DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my P220 carry and I would use this holster for competition with that pistol.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I love my Regulator from Nate at UBG Holsters. It's a snap-around OWB that fits both my P220/rail and my P226/non-rail. I think is is an excellent piece of work for under $100. I bought it after seeing Lima's post about the same holster, which JD got for her:

* http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ics-added.html

I've used mine for IDPA and it works as advertised---good retention but smooth draw with only a little bit or breaking-in.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

+1 on the Regulator from UBG. I've got a couple of them and it's become my favorite OWB holster so far. And it's about the same price as the Galco Combat Master.

One of the things I like best about the Regulator is that it rides lower than most regular pancakes, which may or may not be to your liking.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I have had good success with the Premier from Dillon Leather. It's made by Mitch Rosen. Its snap on/off like the Regulator. I have it for my p228.....the same gun as the p229, basically. Might look at that.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    One of the things I like best about the Regulator is that it rides lower than most regular pancakes, which may or may not be to your liking.
    Yep, I meant to mention that myself. I wear my IWB fairly deep, so I like having a similarly low ride on the OWB.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

The Bluegrass Kit Carson model has caught my eye...looks like just what I'm looking for. They are a site supporter as well so I'd like to throw them the business.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have used my OWB carry holster(s) for USPSA matches before. I've never taken my SIG to these events as I don't do single stack, but I like my DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my P220 carry and I would use this holster for competition with that pistol.
    +1 on the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I have one for my 1911 and, although it's a stingle stack, it works just fine. My pistol is very secure and accepted in IDPA circles.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i like the carry lock my self.

For another lower riding holster w/ snaps. Take a look at the Mitch Rosen Premier. Works great for my P220C. Available in the express version which may be had in a reasonable time (i.e. approx. 1 month).

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Haugen Handgun Leather

I just recieved a OWB for my Kahr made by Haugen Handgun Leather. He makes them one at a time and they fit like a glove.

I bought a OWB holster from Don Hume for my S&W 686 for about $40 including shipping. It also fits my GP100.

DonHume.com

Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

See 'Related Links' above...Search holsters...Find Fist holsters...#12...quick delivery, reasonable $, works well...a great start! OMO...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Alessi

The two best, Alessi and Del Fatti.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links