Snap removable pancake holster longevity

This is a discussion on Snap removable pancake holster longevity within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm debating on a new OWB pancake holster for a S&W 586 L-Comp. I like the idea of an easily removable pancake holster, but threading ...

Thread: Snap removable pancake holster longevity

Snap removable pancake holster longevity

I'm debating on a new OWB pancake holster for a S&W 586 L-Comp. I like the idea of an easily removable pancake holster, but threading belt loops is no big deal.

For some reason though I keep thinking the snap removable holster would end up flapping around after regular use.

Those who regularly wear one of these, can you comment a little on their longevity? This holster would be worn pretty much every day.

I don't know as though it matters, but I will be getting it from Tim Thurner @ TTGunleather

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up

Well, if you're not going to be taking your holster/firearm on and off all day then I would just go with a regular OWB pancake.

Just my personal opinion on that. I'm certain that other folks will have other assorted pro & cons to add.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I personally feel when it comes to snaps they are better suited to IWB where the gun is supporrted by belt tension and the snaps just keep the holster in place
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are you talking about the snaps holding the weight of a holster, or leather with snaps that loop over the belt?

Administrator
    I don't really think there are any longevity related issues or problems with having a "snap on - snap off" OWB rig...only that if you're just going to don your holster in the morning and take it off at night - there is really no need for the snaps.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love my Axiom by Sparks, but never use the snaps. I've thought about replacing them with rivets. I just love the way it carries.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thank you all for your valid points! Tim's snap design wraps around the belt, so I don't think there would be very much of an issue.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the normal belt loops.

The snap design may be convenient for those putting it on and taking it off multiple times each day, and that's not what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    I'm debating on a new OWB pancake .

I don't know as though it matters, but I will be getting it from Tim Thurner @ TTGunleather

I ordered that same model from TT on 5/13 for a G27. I've since switched to a G23 and I emailed them this afternoon to ask them to make it for the G23 instead.
    Exactly 14 minutes later Tim called me and said he would make it for the 23, checked to make sure that the holster I ordered would be the best choice for me,told me where my holster was in the line.etc.
    I've never owned one of their products before but judging from their interest in customer service I definitely don't think I'll be disappointed.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a Regulator from UBG that uses snaps. I doubt I have had it long enough to see wear if there were going to be some, but the design doesn't suggest to me that it would be a problem.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Here is the first OWB that Tim from TT Gunleather made and it was a special/custom order for my 3" S&W 29. If you look closely below his embossed logo you can barely make out the #1. So far it's holding up great after alot of use. I don't use the snaps much but bought the holster to do double duty as a winter time CC holster for easy removal when entering prohibited buildings, events ect. It is also very comfortable for packing the little brute. Highly recommend him and the holster.

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

THAT is one gorgeous holster Sportsterguy! I already have a reinforced mouth IWB on order with Tim and a used one on its way, so the question definitely is NOT who I'm getting it from.

Come to think of it, I'll probably just give Tim a call and talk it over with him. Thank you VERY much for the pics! That gives me a pretty good idea of what it would look like with a similarly sized 586 L-comp in it.

Links