Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy - Page 2

Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

This is a discussion on Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thanks guys. I understand that a gun belt is recommended but there are also a dozen other things that are recommended for IWB, most of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    thanks guys. I understand that a gun belt is recommended but there are also a dozen other things that are recommended for IWB, most of which are not going to be something I am going to routinely do. I don't want to wind up with a holster that will ONLY EVER work with a gun belt, that's a waste of time since probably 75% of the time I'd need it, I won't be able to use it with any kind of heavy belt, or at least not one that is worn tight enough that there would be any advantage to wearing it.

I've never tried any High Noon holsters, but I have two Don Hume H-715's (the S.O.O.T. version with straps instead of clip). I just recently received my first custom made IWB holster. So far, I like the Don Hume's better than the custom.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by revelator View Post
    I've lived nearly 36 years without carrying a gun at all.
    Congrats.

Are you suggesting if I don't want to wear a gun belt, I should not carry at all?
    Nope, everyone is just trying to make it the most comfortable and tell you, from their experiences, what works.

People try things that don't work. They get frustrated and decide carrying just won't work for them, or it isn't comfortable, is starting to cost too much, etc. Since you came here for advise, I am assuming you want to make this work for you. Everyone just wants it to be a smooth, comfortable, safe, and concealable transition for you.

Glad you came around to listening to the advice, although I am not sure you'll accept it right away. Some just have to learn things on their own.

I would take a look at the High Noon Split Decision. It has some forward cant and is tuck-able. Will accomplish the same thing you're trying to do with a couple better features...for only about $10 more I think it's well worth the added cost.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I also have a Sigma(I have two actually) and I also have the Hume 715 clip holster. I think the Hume holster is a bit more fitted to the gun than the HN soft holsters.

I have carried the Sigma in the Hume IWB with a cheap belt, no belt, and a decent gun belt. For me, if I'm appendix carrying, it was fine with a cheap belt. For carrying on the hip, or around the 4:30-5 position....having a good belt is an improvement for sure...but I still do it with a cheaper belt from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    People try things that don't work. They get frustrated and decide carrying just won't work for them, or it isn't comfortable, is starting to cost too much, etc. Since you came here for advise, I am assuming you want to make this work for you. Everyone just wants it to be a smooth, comfortable, safe, and concealable transition for you.

Glad you came around to listening to the advice, although I am not sure you'll accept it right away. Some just have to learn things on their own.
    Well, I know what my limitations are, and there is no way you guys could know about these limitations. So that's why I asked a specific question, and not a general inquiry for advice. I know already that many people, rightly, advise the use of a gun belt. However, not everyone is in my situation so I suspect if you were given my circumstances, you likely would make the same type of choices I am making.

But if one other person tells me I have to dress around my gun or otherwise I am not taking my personal safety seriously then I think I might just set my hair on fire.

I would take a look at the High Noon Split Decision. It has some forward cant and is tuck-able. Will accomplish the same thing you're trying to do with a couple better features...for only about $10 more I think it's well worth the added cost.
    Really? As I understand it, the cant is not useful for appendix carry, right? and also I have absolutely no need for a tuckable holster. If I find that I am more likely to carry at 4:00-5:00 then I will probably just get a Bare Asset...

The feature that would be more useful for me would be adjustable cant. Even more useful would be adjustable ride height (ability to get it to ride lower ... and yes I know the drawbacks, I have a smartcarry after all). All of that with a holster that is as compact as any of these High Noon holsters we have been talking about would be great. The sheer size of something like an MTAC is way too much for my circumstances...

Quote Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
    I also have a Sigma ...

I have carried the Sigma in the Hume IWB with a cheap belt, no belt, and a decent gun belt. For me, if I'm appendix carrying, it was fine with a cheap belt. For carrying on the hip, or around the 4:30-5 position....having a good belt is an improvement for sure...but I still do it with a cheaper belt from time to time.
    This is exactly the input I was looking for! Thanks!

Well, I know what my limitations are, and there is no way you guys could know about these limitations.
    You could give us this background info so we could better answer your specific question. It's the anonymous internet don't forget. People come here all the time asking about their particular situation to get info from others in the same situation: Tall, short, skinny, fat, crippled, don't have the use of their right arm for a period of time, old, have to wear a suit every day, have to hide it at work, can't wear on body, etc etc etc.

So that's why I asked a specific question, and not a general inquiry for advice. I know already that many people, rightly, advise the use of a gun belt. However, not everyone is in my situation so I suspect if you were given my circumstances, you likely would make the same type of choices I am making.
    We could answer that for you if you'd allow us to.

I, however, won't be the one helping any more. I don't need the attitude today.

dude, there's no attitude. but you are welcome to interpret as you see fit.

Listen, revelator. Since you prefer not to wear belts made for the purpose of carrying guns, I thought maybe I'd share a perspective of using purpose-made equipment of which you may not be aware. If you ever need to draw your gun and your holster moves with your gun, instead of holding firmly for a clean break, that second effort required to draw or the fraction of a second you lose on the first effort may result in you being in some serious hot water. That was the point I endeavored to bring to your attention. This speaks nothing of retention issues or other problems that others have raised that you'll have by not wearing a gun belt. Moreover, my recommendations are not part and parcel of any gun culture norm but based on experience and knowledge of what works and what doesn't. They're certainly not part of any fashion sense pal. Further, people who carry guns are usually pretty serious about protecting their life, yet you seem to care more about preserving the status-quo of your wardrobe style than affecting a clean, fast draw. Thus my very respectfully worded question. But since you have gotten by this long without a gun, I suppose you could Mexican carry a 1911 in condition 1 while doing the rodeo and still be safe and secure. So best wishes carrying your gun with a canvas belt and/or anything else that you so choose now that you have it all figured out.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

wow you guys are real welcoming of newcomers to the forum aren't you?

I have received my un-vite loud and clear!

Kinda like saying you don't like wearing a seatbelt because it wrinkles your clothes.

-JT

wow you guys are real welcoming of newcomers to the forum aren't you?

I have received my un-vite loud and clear!
    It's not an un-vite, and this forum is very welcoming of newcomers. But when somebody asks advice, and then gets up in arms because they don't like the advice, well, it kind of makes people a little testy about trying to be helpful.

When a suggestion is ruled 'worthless' based on unknown and vague criteria, it makes people kind of hesitant to keep trying. Kind of like shooting in the dark. We might hit the mark and we might not, and when you are the only one who knows where the target or the light switch is, it's kind of frustrating for people to keep trying.

Welcome to the forum and on making the decision to be able to defend yourself. I hope you find what you are looking for and keep us posted on what you find will work for you.

Regards,
    Kerb
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It's not an un-vite, and this forum is very welcoming of newcomers. But when somebody asks advice, and then gets up in arms because they don't like the advice, well, it kind of makes people a little testy about trying to be helpful.
    The advice that I dismissed was completely unsolicited. I wasn't up in arms about getting advice I didn't agree with. I was reacting to the force-feeding of advice that I was not seeking.

I have already gone around this road many times on other forums and with other CCW kind of folks about my issues with typical carry methods so I am not really interested in rehashing the same discussion with only a slightly different audience. If I was interested in rehashing that debate, then rather than the specific question about IWB holsters, I would have simply said "please critique the validity of my limitations of wardrobe and mode of carry". But it seems I cannot ask a question about holster choice without inviting such a critique.

I was reacting to the force-feeding of advice that I was not seeking.
    We like to call it sound advice from multiple people with many years of carry experience. Many have a drawer full of holsters and old belts to show from their lessons-learned.

I have already gone around this road many times on other forums and with other CCW kind of folks about my issues with typical carry methods so I am not really interested in rehashing the same discussion with only a slightly different audience.
    Multiple forums, same result....huh. This engineer knows the common variable

Re-read what was posted, and your reactions...honestly assess to yourself if your typing comes off as abrasive(this may not be your intent, but I assure you it's there). If you don't see it than maybe the "CCW kind of folks" at the next forum won't either...or maybe they will.

I've been guilty of this same thing before. People will react to your question in all different ways and give you all sorts of information, because they are coming from different experiences and angles that whatever your unknown situation is. things you write make people react in different ways and they want to share their golden nuggets of info personal knowledge with you...be thankful for that. Just take the good with the bad and filter it out as you see fit.

Well, to get this back-on-topic..... I carried a M&P compact 9mm in a High Noon Bare Asset supported by a walmart Dickies belt. The belt cost me $9.95. I actually wore this belt before ordering my wilderness tactical belt. Once i got my wilderness belt, I wore that for 2 weeks or so, and went back to my Dickies belt. I hated that wilderness tactical. I also tried my Dickies, M&P combo with a Don Hume 715 Leather Clip-on. Extremely uncomfortable. i found the Don Hume to be a poor fit, very thick, and extremely rigid, too rigid for comfortable carrying. The Don Hume 715 went on ebay, I still have my Bare Asset. I now have a beltman belt and there is a huge difference in whatever I am carrying (now an XD in a crossbreed). Anyway, while a belt is recommended, it is not always feasible, as it took nearly 2 months to get my beltman, I needed another option. Like I said, my walmart Dickies belt was great, I still use it sometimes, and when paired with my high-Noon bare asset (I wet the bare asset, stretched it, reshaped it for my XD, I liked it that much!), it is extremely comfortable and easy to carry.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links