Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

This is a discussion on Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I gues I'll put my two cents worth in here. Good spot to comment from experience. I carry a G30 in a Fist #7 (when ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

I gues I'll put my two cents worth in here. Good spot to comment from experience.
    I carry a G30 in a Fist #7 (when I'm not pocket carrying my 638) and I have been using a belt that I purchased years ago from the Amish in Pa. It works just great. Now before everyone jumps in here, I DID try my Dillon gun belt. This is a quality belt, quite thick but I had to resort to contorting my body to get the damn thing threaded through the holster, then my belt loop, then the holster again. Once on it was uncomfortable but I couldn't move it because it wouldn't slide through the leather slots. With the other belt it worked out fine. I can set it where I want it , THEN tighten it and holster stays where it is supposed to. So you see, your gunbelt might not be someone else's way.

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by revelator View Post
    The advice that I dismissed was completely unsolicited. I wasn't up in arms about getting advice I didn't agree with. I was reacting to the force-feeding of advice that I was not seeking.

I have already gone around this road many times on other forums and with other CCW kind of folks about my issues with typical carry methods so I am not really interested in rehashing the same discussion with only a slightly different audience.

Do you think maybe there is a reason you keep getting the same advice, even from different sources? Obviously, all you want is someone to validate your views as being superior to those of people who have actually been carrying for years. Forget about the facts that these people are trying to help you get ahead of the learning curve. Some people obviously have to learn for themself. You remind me a lot of a teenager that has all the answers but no actual experience. Just to shut this thing down, you obviously know more than everyone else and whatever method you choose to carry is the best one. Furthermore, your chosen carry method will become the standard by which all others are judged. Finally, could you please post a photo of your hair on fire.

ranburr

Hi revelator, i'm another non-gun-belt wearing person. I guess I should say that my guns are not huge heavy chunks of metal, though- I mostly carry pm9, snubbie .38 sp, or keltec 3at. I do succesfully, securely, and comfortably carry my lightweight guns on regular flat leather fashion belts, though wider usually fits the clips on the holsters better. I imaging heavier guns call for much more support.

To the subject of holsters that work without gun belts:

I have used a simlar holster by desantis (The Insider)http://http://www.desantisholster.com/031.html- just a low-ride, IWB clip design, worn in the 2:00 position. It works ok without a belt, but definitely stays put better and doesn't pull the pants down as much when you at least wear some version of belt-age. since my holster carries my gun so low, I don't have any problem with it "balancing" or "tipping" on the flimsy belt- a problem that a real gun belt would solve in holsters that cause this issue.

alternatively, some paddle holsters hardly need a belt at all, just need something to snag the inside hook around. use a paddle all the time late at night or in my pj's if I have to go out to the barn or across the property, etc. downside is having to conceal OWB.

man, you guys really make me sorry I ever asked a question about these two holsters.

now if I can get the admin to reply to my PM about how to delete my account, then I will hastily leave your friendly community and you guys will be free to pat yourselves on the back for running off the riff-raff.

BTW sincere thanks to those of you who replied to my question on topic.

OMG quit crying already!

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by revelator View Post
    man, you guys really make me sorry I ever asked a question about these two holsters.

now if I can get the admin to reply to my PM about how to delete my account, then I will hastily leave your friendly community and you guys will be free to pat yourselves on the back for running off the riff-raff.

BTW sincere thanks to those of you who replied to my question on topic.
    Why do you need your account deleted to leave? My computer and internet service allow me to pick which sites I visit and post on. Lighten up Francis! At any rate, no one is telling you to leave. Just don't get upset when you hear something that you don't like.

ranburr

DC Founder
    While I agree that the OP was a bit defensive, I cannot say that he was not justified to some degree. I think people should understand that when someone articulates that there is a reason that they cannot wear a regular gun belt, without actually stating it, that there is, in fact, a justifiable reason. I can think of several. Certain medical situations (hernias, surgical scars, colostomy, etc), everyday reasons (must wear a suit) and many more can prevent someone from wearing a stiff belt cinched up tight.

I will add that while I prefer the security of a good gunbelt (I have 3), I sometimes wear a regular "off the rack" belt and suffer no consequences. Saying that you must wear a gunbelt 100% of the time is wrong. You need a belt that can be cinched tight and doesn't stretch. A gunbelt is, obviously, good meeting that requirement. So are many others....

Our efforts to enforce civility has failed here; we have successfully run this new member off.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Wink

After reading through this entire thread...I think we all could really use a good, "stiff belt" and not one made out of leather either.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I understand there are reasons not to be able to wear a heavy belt as I'm sure most members understand that too. But I do feel the OP was so vague about why a gun belt was "not an option", that it lead people to think he was just being "stubborn". Maybe it's none of our business, but it would have saved alot of problems had he just said " it's a medical problem" or some kind of explanation. It did come off as "being hard headed" with an attitude rather he realizes it or not.
    If the OP is reading this, this forum beats all others out there. Some of the best people on the net. You won't find a better,well managed forum to go to for information on ccw. Everyone here is here to help you. We hope you stay on the forum. if you'd rather, you could change your username and no one would know the difference. Good luck to you whatever you choose to do.

He PM'd me stating "The common variable is a lot of gun forum people are jerks."

He came here, having having self admitted problems in other forums, with a chip on his shoulder....and showed it to us in 8 days(June 18th join date).

He never mentioned "limitations" until post #20. Not sure he really said he had them...but it was after much of the gun-belt suggestions and defensiveness happened.

As I said earlier, you take people's advice...filter what you want, and move on. We are all just trying to help. Perhaps you don't want to hear it...oh well.

Best of luck to him on his search.

I tried my best to answer the OPs question. The title of this particular thread asked for advice on holsters. It really is none of our business as to why this person didn't want/have/need a gun belt, the simple fact was that it was not an option for him. While more info about why no proper gunbelt may have helped soothe our curiosity, his limitations toward not wanting/having a gunbelt, honestly is not our business. If he didn't want to tell us he couldn't afford one, or if he didn't want to explain his medical conditions, then who are we to have an attitude towards him for wanting his privacy? There were a few ways to handle this. One was to answer his question about the holsters as best we could, given the info he gave. Two, would have been to simply ignore the thread because he didn't want to give us the info we wanted. Three, we could give him a hard time and run him out of town. Sure his attitude wasn't the greatest, but it is my belief that we should be above resorting to attitudes ourselves and simply do our best to help them out. I for one went months without a "proper" gunbelt when I was just starting off ccwing and had no ill side effects. Telling a new poster to " not let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya" to me seems a little rude and is kinda embarassing that someone on THIS FORUM would act this way to a new ccwer looking for advice, attitude or not. We were all new at some point in time. I for one have seen this type of attitude on other forums, and because of it, I avoid them, and I thought/hoped that this forum was above that, which it usually is. I for one feel kinda bad for the OP and I hope i was able to answer his original question. Unfortunately, this person has left the forum, let's just hope that he was able to take some good advice with him/her.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Telling a new poster to " not let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya" to me seems a little rude and is kinda embarassing that someone on THIS FORUM would act this way to a new ccwer looking for advice, attitude or not.
    After the attutude and insulting/rude PM to me, I thought it was justified...and a civil way to say what I really would have liked to

If you have attitude and are being a jerk, people are going to call you on it...and they did. I don't care if you are new or not. He didn't want to reverse course after several of us asked him to realize that everyone was trying to help. He was just looking for a scrap IMHO...I hope he isn't like that while he's carrying.

I had a similar conversation as this thread with someone who is now a friend of mine.
    He always wore sweats with the tie string in the front but wanted to be able to carry so he could protect his wife and child.
    But he would not even listen to anything about a belt so I just let it drop, but as Time went on I picked up on little things like he always wore loose fitting clothes did not wear a seat belt when driving hated hot weather. I later ( about a year or so later) found out he was the organizer of his chapter of burn victims group he had massive skin grafts and scaring from a pulp paper mill explosion making it imposable for him to wear a gun belt or any belt for that mater but this thread reminded me of his “If you had my reasons you would not wear a belt either”

I guess what I learned is things are not always what they seem.
    He was just so stuborn he refused tell me about his burns.
    and was willing to fight tooth and nail about how he did not need one.
    I'm not saying this is the case here, But maybe somthing think about.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    I had a similar conversation as this thread with someone who is now a friend of mine.
    He always wore sweats with the tie string in the front but wanted to be able to carry so he could protect his wife and child.
    But he would not even listen to anything about a belt so I just let it drop, but as Time went on I picked up on little things like he always wore loose fitting clothes did not wear a seat belt when driving hated hot weather. I later ( about a year or so later) found out he was the organizer of his chapter of burn victims group he had massive skin grafts and scaring from a pulp paper mill explosion making it imposable for him to wear a gun belt or any belt for that mater but this thread reminded me of his “If you had my reasons you would not wear a belt either”

I guess what I learned is things are not always what they seem.
    He was just so stubborn he refused tell me about his burns.
    and was willing to fight tooth and nail about how he did not need one.
    I'm not saying this is the case here, But maybe something think about.
    That could easily be the case, or something similar. That's why he got recommendations on pocket carry, smartcarry, smaller weapons, lighter weapons, and others. The waist is not the only place to carry a firearm. You also don't need a $100 'gunbelt'. Any belt that is stiff enough, and wide enough to support a holster will do. I call those gunbelts, whether they are made by Dickie's or Rafter or Beltman.

I believe the "That's a worthless piece of advice" stuff was what turned this thread sour.

I, too, am sorry that somebody got a bad impression of this forum, but by the OP's own admission, it isn't the first forum that it happened. I tend to agree with youngda's assesment of the common variable...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links