Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

This is a discussion on Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This would be for a S&W SW9VE Any comments or comparisons from those who have seen or handled both? Also how is the High Noon ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

Hume 715 vs. High Noon Mr. Softy

This would be for a S&W SW9VE

Any comments or comparisons from those who have seen or handled both?

Also how is the High Noon clip without a gun-style belt (like, say a canvas belt, flimsy leather belt, or no belt)? Looks like it might not work well without a serious belt.

I would be using this for either appendix carry or about 4:00.

Are there other options in the same price range that I should consider?

Thx-
    Last edited by revelator; June 24th, 2008 at 03:44 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but I have to say it - Why would you consider wearing a holster and gun without having "a serious belt"?

I've owned a High Noon Mr. Softy... did not really like the way it felt, too soft. I do own a Don Hume H715 right now... It is a lot more solid feel to the holster when I need to wear this type of holster.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Sorry, but I have to say it - Why would you consider wearing a holster and gun without having "a serious belt"?
    well, because I don't wear "a serious belt".

If I wear a belt, it's a soft leather belt (with jeans) or a canvas belt (with cargo shorts). It's just a fashion thing, and pretty much non-negotiable. So I'm hoping to find an IWB holster that I can use that may work without particular belt requirements.

Looks like the Hume has a belt clip more compatible with the non-gun-belt-clad set.

In all likelihood, you are not going to have a good experience wearing a gun without a gun belt. Fashion accesssory belts just aren't meant to withstand several pounds of stuff hanging from it. Not to mention you want your holster to remain stationary and your gun to break clean with your draw if your ever called to clear leather in a dire strait. Your choice of a fashion belt will seriously impede accomplishing that goal, perhaps to your final detriment.

Are you sure your dead set against wearing a gun belt? No offense, but if so, are you sure your serious about personal defense? A proper belt, well made holster, and reliable firearm are essential tools of the trade. I wouldn't think you'd want to compromise on any of those in a true life or death confrontation.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    No offense, but if so, are you sure your serious about personal defense? A proper belt, well made holster, and reliable firearm are essential tools of the trade. I wouldn't think you'd want to compromise on any of those in a true life or death confrontation.
    I figured this would come up, just surprised it did so quickly!

Thread immediately goes off-topic!

I've lived nearly 36 years without carrying a gun at all.

Are you suggesting if I don't want to wear a gun belt, I should not carry at all?

Are you willing to make suggestions that will work within my constraints, even if they may appear to be unreasonable to you?

Or must one conform to gun-culture fashion norms in order to defend themselves?

I guess between the lines I am getting the answer that neither the Hume nor the High Noon holster will work without a gun belt... is that right? Considering this is at least related to the question I asked.

FWIW my belt is not a fashion accessory. It's there to keep my pants up. It's covered by the tail of my shirt all of the time. Sometimes it has other non-gun equipment clipped to it out of necessity. It is not really a viable option for me to change to using a gun belt for a variety of reasons but it's not merely some whimsical fashion choice.

revelator, neither holster will work well without a quality belt. Between those options I would probably choose the Hume. But you are going to find it a chore to conceal, it is going to shift around, when you try to draw the holster is going to come up with it, or be so loose as to have virtually no retention.

You really have 2 options...you can dress around the gun, or buy a gun based on how you dress. Since you are unwilling to do the first, you may have the wrong gun or carry method picked out. Check out the Smartcarry as it does not require a belt and is very concealable with just about any gun, or look into a pocket pistol for pocket carry.

So within your constraints and choices, I would choose the Hume, but I believe your choices with the constraints you have committed to will make it difficult for you to get advice one way or the other.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Thanks, I have a smartcarry. It will work much of the time. Was looking for another option.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Hi revelator,
    Maybe a tight paddle holster would work. The gun would have to be light, and relatively small to keep the rig from tending to torque away from the body.
    However, no holster will work as well as with a good belt. But if that is non-negotiable, then you will just have to try until you find what is best for you.

A belt has little to do with fashion, but a lot to do with comfort, and how stable it will hold the holster and gun. As it turns out, there are some beautiful belts that do both.

I would suggest you not be so defensive. Members of these forums desire to give good advice. What has been said about the necessity of a good belt is good advice. It is not an attempt to get you to be "fashionable" or to "conform," but to help you in carrying a CH for defense. A holstered gun that is not stable will be very difficult to draw with any speed, and you will not be able to get a full grip. That tends to be dangerous as any fumbling will be.

Regards,
    Jerry

I carry my XD-45 in a Don Hume 715 all the time, and do so with a belt marketed by Dickies. Just pick a solid and stiff belt with distinct corners to hold the clip during draw.

I think 5.11, or whatever it's called has canvas belts specifically marketed to those whom carry...

I'll stir the pot. I use a High Noon Hidden Ally (tuckable version of the Mr. Softy) and a regular leather belt from a store in the mall and it works great

One caveat though... I appendix carry with this setup and it allows my gun to ride down while sitting. This keeps it from digging into my stomach. I've found that I don't need as much support from my belt when carrying this way.

I don't recommend this setup for carrying at 3:00-6:00 as it requires more support than a regular belt can provide.

Also, before someone tells me that I can't possibly defend myself using a $30 holster and a non-gun belt I've tried more expensive/custom holsters and they just don't work for me. This is not a matter of cost, but simply what works for me, YMMV.
    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revelator View Post
    I figured this would come up, just surprised it did so quickly!

Thread immediately goes off-topic!

I've lived nearly 36 years without carrying a gun at all.

Are you suggesting if I don't want to wear a gun belt, I should not carry at all?

Are you willing to make suggestions that will work within my constraints, even if they may appear to be unreasonable to you?

Or must one conform to gun-culture fashion norms in order to defend themselves?

I guess between the lines I am getting the answer that neither the Hume nor the High Noon holster will work without a gun belt... is that right? Considering this is at least related to the question I asked.

FWIW my belt is not a fashion accessory. It's there to keep my pants up. It's covered by the tail of my shirt all of the time. Sometimes it has other non-gun equipment clipped to it out of necessity. It is not really a viable option for me to change to using a gun belt for a variety of reasons but it's not merely some whimsical fashion choice.
    A good gun belt has nothing to do with "gun fashion". It's got all to do with supporting the gun and keeping the holster in place. I have a gun belt that is leather and looks no different than any other belt you would get at a clothing store. It's just reinforced , but no one would know by looking at it. You being against a gun belt just because that's what it's called makes me think you haven't searched the options out there.
    No one is trying to "come down on you" for not wanting a gun belt, like it's some fashion statement you have to use to "be in the club". It's only the best option for carrying a heavy gun and highly recommended. A regular belt just won't do it comfortably. Like using a guitar strap to hold up a guitar rather than a piece of string.
    You have other options of carrying. Smartcarry is good, but slow draw. I have one I use occasionally but I only use it for a j-frame because it's small.
    Maybe a shoulder harness. Or get a smaller gun that doesnt require a heavier belt for good support.

You simply cannot carry a pistol on your hip without a good belt. You are eventually going to have problems of either comfort or you are going to be very embaressed when your pistol flops out on the ground. There are belts made for guns that look like any style of fashion that you want. I do realize that there are times where you just can't wear a belt. For those times you need a small pistol in a pocket holster. There are trade offs to be made if you are going to carry. Spend the money and do it right.

ranburr

Revelator, I just got a HNH Bare Asset- (Solftee witha 15 cant) for my Colt OM. It works great for it. I am do not like any carry less than 4:00 for me.. just does not work. I find the belt does not matter very much with an IWB carry like this, as long as the belt holds the holster in tight to the body

All holsters work better with a good gun belt. It makes the gun feel so much lighter then it is. With that said our reverse J hook does work well with cheaper belts. The reverse J, will hook onto the belt when the gun is needed. Questions
    Its not going to miss. J Hook It does not know if its a cheap belt or a good gun belt. The holster is also lite weight, which will help the cheap belt out a little. And if you do not like it, just send it back inside 30 days. Guarantee

Take Care
    Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

to ANSWER the question..... I have 3 Hume 715's for 3 different guns and reallly like them. They work well, are solid, and well formed for the different guns (XD, Cougar, Kel-Tec). The clips are so tight, I can clip them to my pants and they aren't going anywhere...... LOL.

I DON'T use a gun belt, never have used a gun belt even when I worked in the system and carried almost 24/7, and never will. I have had NO issues or problems at all in 50+ years. I do use a good leather belt. I don't think I would use the canvas belts that I have... but then I pocket carry when I use those and wear shorts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links