Carrying in a wedding dress

This is a discussion on Carrying in a wedding dress within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter -there is very little chance of needing to be armed at a wedding Maybe, but depending on who is attending, this ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a wedding dress

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    -there is very little chance of needing to be armed at a wedding
    Maybe, but depending on who is attending, this is not always true. You may have people in your family, or invited guests, that are 'high value targets'. You may think of them as just uncle Bob and cousin John, but others see them as leaders in the community, judges, officials, etc.

2. Remove Ads

I have to agree with my fellow Floridians.....

From a woman's perspective:

1. While there may be a great many women who frequent and post on this board, carrying in a wedding dress is an unusual application, and one I am sure most have no experience with, and likely haven't even thought about.

2. I wonder about your motivation to do so. I fully understand "because I can" as a motivation. I use it all the time. I also get the impression that your parents aren't supportive of your carrying a gun. If part of the appeal is to torque your parents, you might want to give that some more consideration. Realistically, carrying in a wedding dress is going to be more symbolic than anything else- you'll hardly be able to use the restroom without assistance, much less access a weapon.

3. As David in FL states, wedding are emotionally charged events. Regardless of how much you love your fiance or how "right" a thing marrying him is- your wedding WILL be stressful. As you dress for the event, you will have NO privacy. Further, wedding dresses are the most uncomfortable creations known to (wo)man. You'll be concerned about all sorts of things- like how you can't breathe, whether you'll ..umm.. "fall out" of it, how uncomfortable the spiffy foundation garments are, "OH MY GOD... what do you mean Mary has 3MM pearl earrings?? I SPECIFICALLY said 6MM pearl earrings!!!" .... you get the idea. Then there's the important stuff- like the mind numbing fear and urge to run that happens when the bridal march starts to play.

I know this has been a little over the top and facetious, but trust me, you will worry about all these things and more. If you are really concerned about your personal safety, have a talk with your fiance, and let him handle it (men really do love to take care of us, even -or perhaps especially- when we are perfectly capable of taking care of ourselves!). From the wedding day forward you will be a team- start thinking that way asap and you'll be ahead of the game.

Heather
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

My dear, congratulations!
    If you choose to carry for your wedding, then by all means do so; you need not give reasons to anyone!
    A belt under the dress, to help support the thigh holster, could be something like an elastic belly band band -- even an ace wrap -- with a vertical strap going down to the thigh holster. This would be low profile enough to hide under a gown.
    The style and particular cut of your dress is another variable. I knew a bride who had a slit in her skirt (think front trouser pocket location) because she wanted to access an unspecified item, I found out later it was a fighting knife. Did not ask why, none of my business.
    Because it was a full skirt, the slit was not visible to the unknowing eye.
    I was performing the wedding, and I had a Browning belted under my suit coat.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.
    Try the thigh rig..I'd think it would suffice for the task at hand

SkyPilot...
    A bride with a fighting knife....you hang out with Angelia Jolie much any more :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Something old, Something new, Something borrowed, Something BANG !!!

Thigh holster is your only concealment option, attach it to a garter belt to hold it up. If not worried about concealment cowboy rig is the say to go! Have your man wear a cowboy hat and spurs. Post pictures after the wedding.

Congrats !
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I suggest having several options available. The thigh holster and smartcarry are both good. You may want to use the thigh carry during the ceremony and consider switching to smartcarry for the reception.

I'm guessing it would be easier to conceal the smartcarry during the reception vs. the ceremony. A lot depends upon your dress.

Good luck. I think its great you are carrying and disagree with all the comments suggesting you let your fiancee handle that aspect.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

yea. my current thoughts is a thigh rig may be unformfortable while dancing.
    whoever thinks i shouldnt carry, thats fine, your opinion and thank you for sharing it. i am doing so not b/c i expect trouble more than any other day. but i do carry every day and whenever i can. and also it is somewhat a personal symbolic thing.
    as far as not carrying due to the already stressful situation, im not worried about that. i am having a very laid back wedding and i dont get stressed out often. im sure i still will be some. but heck, if i didnt think i was more than safe carrying a gun when i am most stressed out, i wouldnt trust myself carrying a gun at all
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

For the record- I wasn't questioning your carrying in a stressful situation- I was simply pointing out that you will have a million other things on your mind as well.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Dear Bride,

On this one very special day in your life, you should delegate the protection task to one of your trustworthy friends, and not be armed. Beware of obsession...

JERRY

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    However you do it, will you please post pictures.
    +50
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

While I don't have any holster suggestions, I thought I might point out it might be a lot easier with a lighter firearm. A S&W 640PD or such comes to mind. 12oz.

-john

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Unless the dress comes with some sort of jacket or cover-up, I think the thigh rig is pretty much your only option. The Aegis is a 3" barrel? It'd probably fit, though I am not sure I 'd be comfortable with cocked and locked in something like that (I am thinking ankle rig, myself, as something that could slip off). At the risk of starting a huge sidetrack here, this might be the day to consider carrying Condition 3, since it isn't a one-handed or quick-draw operation under a dress, anyway.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post

At the risk of starting a huge sidetrack here, this might be the day to consider carrying Condition 3, since it isn't a one-handed or quick-draw operation under a dress, anyway.

Well, now you've gone and done it.....!!!!!

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

From the wedding dresses I have seen - you could conceal a Barrett 50 BMG in one with all that fluffy stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links