Best fannypack?? - Page 2

Best fannypack??

This is a discussion on Best fannypack?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if your looking for a a great gun bag holster i suggest you look into the safepacker mfg by the wilderness corp the same folks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best fannypack??

The safepacker

if your looking for a a great gun bag holster i suggest you look into the safepacker mfg by the wilderness corp the same folks that make the instructor belts

I don't care for Fanny Packs as they tend to scream " look at me I have a gun" unless you live in FL. If you must use one of these select one in a color or with a print on it. The all black ones attrack the most attention. You want a wide strap to carry the weight without it falling forward. I would also want the velcro fast opening pocket, no time for a zipper when you need your gun!! I think the company is called "Tommy Packs" or something like that, they make a decent pack at a reasonable price.
    I carry a G23 all year long OWB and don't find it uncomfortable, but I don't where the nylon Dolphin shots either, lol!!! jkding.
    it's a no go for those flimsier nylon, draw-string shorts I use during the high 90's days.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    No time for zippers?

The zipperred models generally have a pull cord or tab. A quick pull, and it opens every bit as fast, but without the loud "ripping" noise, as Velcro. Plus, they stay closed. (I see several mentions above of the Velcro models "falling open", never happened with my zipped DeSantis). My only complaint is the zippers tend to "jingle" a bit (pull against slide), but this can be cured by application of some compound to quiet them.

DeSantis makes some good ones (Gunny Sack II) That's the one I have. I don't wear it that much anymore, but it's a good option to keep around.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I've bought two Tommy's Gun Packs....they are inexpensive and well built. I bought the Large my first go around.......and a medium my second. The large is better for me.

Google Tommy's Gun Pack

Thumbs up Coronado Leather

The wife & I both have one of their packs; very well made!

I think I like the idea of a more vertical bag, like the Bagmaster, rather than a fanny pack. Maybe it won't scream "gun" as much. I've also considered something like the Maxpedition Fatboy, though that may be a bit much to haul around all day.

Here is a thought...

I believe it has been suggested before in another thread regarding alternatives, but:

I found an inexpensive fanny pack (about $3.95) on sale at "Old Navy." Some 3 inch velcro strips with glue on the back side (found at a fabric store) plus an inexpensive nylon holster ($6.00 range) attached with the velcro serves me quite well on those sweltering days of nylon running shorts and a Tee. Inexpensive tourist packs may be found at Good Will or at your neighborhood yard sale (possibly with your favorite national park on the front).

On mine, I have several pockets including two main, small change pocket on front and a document pocket (for wallet) on back, makes a nice and convenient package. I can fit a SP101 3 inch almost perfectly and draw with almost no effort.

Another plus, some how the periwinkle blue and "Old Navy" logo doesn't scream "gun" as much as some. (As some have written "your mileage may varry.")

Dano -- I hadn't considered it, but maybe you're on to something. Rather than getting one in black and/or leather, get one of those nylon ones in bright blue, or as you said, with a tourist or name brand logo on it ... might not say "gun" as much. I like the idea of velcro'ing in a small holster, too. Do you find the weight of the holster/pistol deforms the nylon too much (drooping)?

Actually, no, I haven't had any droop factor in mine. The glue sided velcro is thick enough to act as a kind of a "hanging board" for the holster. I cut mine as to cover both the nylon sides (two pieces, if you will), just have to watch the loop versus hook sides match up to the holster. Never a problem. Just a note, in warmer and humid weather, the factory tacky glue may pull away from the nylon pocket, I used some barge(sp) cement, or its replacement, to tack it down...seems to work for me.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The best fanny pack is one that someone else is wearing........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I can across a camera fanny pack, a couple years ago, that I truly love.

It's a small nylon rig that says Nikon on it, and hold my G26 along with a small point and shoot Nikon camera as well as my wallet.

During the summer when I'm out on the boat allot, I clip my cell phone on the belt, and just grab it when I'm headed out the door. My wife calls it my man purse. Think I paid $35 dollars for it on EBay

I just found this EBay auction for under $10 dollars

LOL, yea, I would agree, sometimes it "is" better someone else is wearing one.

On the lighter side, I might be willing to wear some of those "clown" pants weight lifters were so fond of not long ago. At 5'6" and 195 lbs, a Ronnie Coleman or Hulk Hogan "wannabe" might be just the ticket to avoid those unwanted altercations.

Seriously, for those quick get up and go, walking the boardwalk, lazy day park visitations, to me, nothing is better. Plus, it gives me a place to put a small pair of binoculars, snack, etc. for a run into town or grab a burger, etc. without feeling overdressed (or underprepared).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links