VMII and Rafter S belts

This is a discussion on VMII and Rafter S belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear a 1 1/4" Rafter S belt. This is a thick belt and I have seen issues with it fitting 1 1/4" loops. I ...

Thread: VMII and Rafter S belts

VMII and Rafter S belts

I wear a 1 1/4" Rafter S belt. This is a thick belt and I have seen issues with it fitting 1 1/4" loops.

I have worn a 1 1/2" loop VMII with this belt in the past and as I recall, that worked ok, just a tad on the loose side - most noticeable on the draw.

I am thinking of getting another VMII but was wondering what size loops I should get. I was thinking of just sticking with 1 1/2" even though the belt is 1 1/4"

What are your experiences with this combination and size if you have used it ?

2. Remove Ads

I have the same trouble with my belt..

It is 1.5 but it is 3/8 thick and the normal 1.5 does not work.. What I do and in fact did today is tell the holster maker what you need they should be willing to help...

What Dave (Little Bear) and I came up with was I needed someone to redye my belt and he offered to redye. At the same time he will make my loops to fit for the rig he is making me..

I do think you should have no problems getting someone to work with you...

Good luck...

Can't comment on the 1 1/4" but I have a 1 1/2" rafter cowhide belt that fits my VM2 1 1/2" belt loops just fine.My 1 1/2" SS2 will not snap down on it though!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I use the RafterS 1.25" belts with holsters which have 1.5" belt loops. I experience no problems of the holster shifting. I mostly wear OWB pancake holsters. When the belt is tightened it tightens the holster also as it bends slightly to fit your body.

I once tried a 1.5" RafterS, but it would not go through the loops of my Sparks I-BAK. Both were 1.5" with no slack, and the belt would not deflect enough for it to pass through the loops. For that reason I went to the 1.25" RafterS belt.

Some of my trousers do not have belt loops which will take the 1.5" belts.

If one wants to use the 1.5" RS belts, and order a holster it is well to tell the holster maker that the belt is fully 1.5" wide and the belt loops on the holster must have a little clearance.

Regards,
    Jerry

My Versa Max II's all have 1.5" loops.

All of my Beltman belts are 1.25". In my line (suits) 1.5" belts look waaay out of place.

Works just fine. I kind of like the little "give".
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Yep I agree with the rest. I use Rafter's 1.25" belts with 1.5" Sparks leather. The Rafter belts are usually too thick to use a 1.5" on a 1.5" slot. Milt Sparks belts are thinner than the Rafter belts and will fit perfect in Sparks holsters. I always order my holsters with 1.5" slots just so I will be able to use almost any belt in them. I recently ordered a VM2 1.25" with a matching 1.25" belt but this will be a matching Sharkskin setup.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Guys, Milt Sparks is a full service custom maker. I am certain if you explain the belt width/thickness (it's likely all you'd need to tell them is the manufacturer, and they've dealt with this before), I am nearly certain they can accommodate a proper belt loop/belt fit (probably stretching the existing 1.25 or 1.5 inch loops for the proper fit is my guess). No reason to compromise on movement on the draw stroke at this level of leather gear. Call them!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

FWIW I waited for my Rafter S (my "best belt" IMHO) but it didn't fit my XD40-C VMII. Some enlightened souls recommended that I thread the belt through the snaps while suiting up. So then, what would be the purpose of having snaps?

I kept that VMII snapped to the Rafter (with paper in between) in the closet and it has now stretched enough to be serviceable.

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Well, I just ordered one for my 229 from Top Gun Supply with 1 1/2" loops. I should have it by Saturday.

I liked the one I used before, so I already know I will like it. I've held off about 15 months waiting for a custom holster to be made, but I have a feeling it may still be a good long while before I get that one.

I guess it is about time I put the OWB holster away for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Guys, Milt Sparks is a full service custom maker. I am certain if you explain the belt width/thickness (it's likely all you'd need to tell them is the manufacturer, and they've dealt with this before), I am nearly certain they can accommodate a proper belt loop/belt fit (probably stretching the existing 1.25 or 1.5 inch loops for the proper fit is my guess). No reason to compromise on movement on the draw stroke at this level of leather gear. Call them!
    Maybe, but I would like to see Tony's comments. This has come up before, and I do not recall that he made any statements that he would modify the size of the belt loops.

However, it is not especially germane if one already has the holster, and wants a belt.
    In my case I had the holster, and the belt would not fit.
    I don't think it is a compromise to use the 1.25 RS belt as the holster does not move during the draw with that combination. When you tighten the belt with a pancake holster, the holster draws closer to the body, and deflects to form to the body curve. In my own experience the holster is tight enough not to move. That might not be true for all combinations.

I have a Laredo Defender by K&D that has 1.5 snap loops. I glued a piece of leather that I had inside each loop, and that solved any problem of movement with that type. One might have to do that with a VMII.

It would be preferable if Tony, or other maker, would make loops to fit. However it does not take much difference in dimensions to let it slip, and I am not sure how the maker would know the exact dimensions of everybody's belt, unless he sized each holster belt loops to the exact size the customer gave.

Any maker want to address that, or is that off topic?

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    My Versa Max II's all have 1.5" loops.

All of my Beltman belts are 1.25". In my line (suits) 1.5" belts look waaay out of place.

Works just fine. I kind of like the little "give".
    Love the avatar, Catalina. I'm very proud to say Justice Scalia and I attended the same high school and college, though 20 years apart. He's slightly more successful than me.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Just an FYI. I contacted Marty at Milt Sparks today and he politely informed me that they will make NO changes whatsoever to their belt loops on their holsters to accomodate any other belt makers products. I have 2 Rafters belts, one in elephant and one in shark, both of which are a hair over 1.5" wide. I ordered an Axiom with elephant trim anyway for my Wilson Tac Supergrade. Marty made a recommendation as to what I might do to the belt loops once I get the holster, which I hope works. I will post my results and photos of the rig when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by pathdoc View Post
    Just an FYI. I contacted Marty at Milt Sparks today and he politely informed me that they will make NO changes whatsoever to their belt loops on their holsters to accomodate any other belt makers products. I have 2 Rafters belts, one in elephant and one in shark, both of which are a hair over 1.5" wide. I ordered an Axiom with elephant trim anyway for my Wilson Tac Supergrade. Marty made a recommendation as to what I might do to the belt loops once I get the holster, which I hope works. I will post my results and photos of the rig when it arrives.
    I was pretty sure he would not make changes. There may be a maker that will do so, but I am not sure who. Kevin at K&D might, but have not queried him on it. I would think it would be more trouble that it is worth to change patterns, or however they do it.

I think it might be more advantageous for RafterS to reduce the width of their 1.5" belts slightly.

Regards,
    Jerry

The 1.5 VMII has been working perfectly fine for me on the 1.25 Rafter S belt.

Links