Fist #18 Murnak Paddle -- two thumbs up

This is a discussion on Fist #18 Murnak Paddle -- two thumbs up within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a new holster for the CZ P-01 9mm pistol. It's a Fist #18 Paddle holster, from a Jim Murnak design. Two thumbs ...

Thread: Fist #18 Murnak Paddle -- two thumbs up

Thumbs up Fist #18 Murnak Paddle -- two thumbs up

I just purchased a new holster for the CZ P-01 9mm pistol. It's a Fist #18 Paddle holster, from a Jim Murnak design.

Two thumbs up! Highly recommended, if Paddle is your thang.

Thoughts:

• Workmanship -- Excellent. Fist holsters, in general, are built like a solid craftsman-style house. Well-built, solid, purposeful, without puffery or extras that detract from the purpose. The #18 Paddle is no exception. Fairly clean lines, strong stitching, no evidence of mistakes or issues with cutting or forming the leather.

• Fit -- Excellent. The holster is fairly new, so it's still being broken in, a bit. However, it holds the gun extremely well. It's tight, but for all of that it allows an effective draw from the hip. Just the way it should be.

• Tight to Body -- Paddle holsters, as a category, aren't known for holding a gun extremely tightly to the body. This one, though, is very good as compared to others I have tried. Doesn't quite compare to the average IWB unit, but it's nice. I like it.

• Comfort -- Excellent. Being a paddle, the larger, soft paddle "blade" fits nicely against the curve of the body to spread the load and eliminate "hot" spots (pinch points). It feels very comfortable sitting there, when drawing, when reholstering.

• Usability -- Some would argue that a good IWB is hard to beat. That's true, from the perspective of effectively concealing the gun from view. But, many people think IWB rigs aren't the most comfortable or useful. They are inside the belt, so the mouth can collapse, inhibiting reholstering. A Paddle is, essentially, an OWB unit that doesn't have belt loops. Rather, the paddle slides inside the belt against the body, while the holster hangs outside the belt.

• Cant -- A nice feature of the Fist #18 is the ability to have a ~18-20* forward cant. The range is from straight up, to canted, with anything in between. Once I find the right cant, I will lock it in (by ratcheting down the screws and holding them with LocTite).

• Time to Build -- The #18 is a custom unit, as with the rest. Being a bit more complicated and not being their largest seller, it took a bit longer than prior Fist holsters I've purchased. Normal turnaround time seems to be ~5wks or so, for each prior time I have bought a Fist. This time, it took nearly 3mos.

• Price -- A good holster isn't cheap. Some cost an arm; some, a leg. The nice thing about Fist is that they produce effective and functional designs for a fair price. The #18 Paddle, though, is at the top of their line. It's one of the best examples of their work, so it's priced accordingly. Plus, the design is a bit more involved to produce, so it's priced accordingly. Together, the holster plus single-magazine slide pouch cost $152 + $35, or just under $190 total.

• Value -- Very good. I'm of the opinion that solid, functional holsters that do their job well are relatively hard to find. Particularly at a good price. Now, this one's got a price tag to it, but many holsters these days go north of $200. Fist is notable because of the lack of baubles, gaudy exterior trim work. They build excellence into each holster they do, with simple, effective designs that will last a long time. Just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

• Overall -- Excellent, so far. I'll know more after ~30 days of wearing it. So far, though, it's comfortable, has excellent fit to the gun, has a useful cant, holds fairly close to the body (for a OWB/paddle) and is easy to use. I highly recommend the Fist line. This is the fourth Fist holster I have. Each one is a great match to the use, well-built and fairly priced.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Very good review. Congrats on the new holster, it looks like it is built very well and looks good. What is the tab on the paddle portion I see, is that to help keep it in your pants on the draw?
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Good review and +1 for FIST quality and turnaround time. I've got 4 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Good review and +1 for FIST quality and turnaround time. I've got 4 of them.
    Smarter than the average bear, I see. Fist makes a great product. Simple, effective, durable, functional and priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    What is the tab on the paddle portion I see, is that to help keep it in your pants on the draw?
    Haven't figured that out, yet.

The range of cant adjustment seems to stop when the edge of the holster aligns with the "tabs." The tabs themselves don't stop the motion.

I'd think a rubberized or "gritty" surface on the outward facing side of the paddle would be infinitely "stickier" than any kydex tabs sticking out. So, I'm uncertain what their purpose is.

The brief instruction sheet that comes with the holster simply describes the break-in process. Nothing about the ears/tabs on the paddle.

For those wondering why we're talking about ears, here's a photo that shows what "tabs" we're discussing ...
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nice review of Fist holsters...
    I have over two dozen Fist holsters and have been happy with all of them. They are not a 'production line'...delivery time is reasonable, and their prices are fair.
    Also, after your first dozen (I think...not sure or how many...), but now I get a 20% discount on any purchases.

I also have the Fist #18 Paddle Holster for my Glock-36...it is expensive, but very comfortable, easy on/off, and it holds the gun tightly against the body.

Enjoy your purchase.
    If you like any type of pocket carry, check out the kydex pocket holster. The 'thumb push' is a great idea...check it out!

Stay armed...enjoy Fist...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 for the thumb push on the kydex pocket holster.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

If they are like other holsters the ears help keep the holster from pulling up with the gun and kinda lock under the belt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    +1 for the thumb push on the kydex pocket holster.

You Sir...are the first person in 2 years to acknowledge the Fist kydex pocket holster with the thumb push. It is a great idea...I've been suggesting this for a long time, and I was beginning to think that I was the only one here who had ever saw/used one.

Your reply has given me renewed faith in mankind...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links