Wife's New Side Guard Holster

This is a discussion on Wife's New Side Guard Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back last June my wife, Leah, finally found her pistol - a Kahr CW9. If you are interested in the details the story is here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Back last June my wife, Leah, finally found her pistol - a Kahr CW9. If you are interested in the details the story is here. It came with an Uncle Mike IWB holster and that was not a problem because she carries in a Coronado concealment purse due to the dress requirement at her job. The only time she carries any other way is when I am not home. She does not normally carry when I am home, but I work three nights a week and so she does carry then.

Back in early May she told me that she wanted to get a better holster because the Uncle Mike was soft and she had trouble putting the pistol in without the material folding over. So I went looking for some holsters for her to look at. I narrowed it down to three that fit the criteria that she had given me concerning price, wait, and design. I had already decided which one I would buy if it were me, but since it wasn't for me I did not tell here which was my choice. When we got to the Side Guard site she pretty much decided that the Minimal Holster with the standard clip was what she wanted. Then we went to the Customer Pics section and there was a Minimal Holster with the snap connector holding a Kahr CW9 with the AGrip wrap around grip on it (just like hers). That settled it. So I emailed our member MNBurl, the owner of Side Guard Holsters, about placing an order. We corresponded back and forth a couple of times to get everything arranged, I sent off the check, and we settle back to wait.

On June 7, 2008, one year to the day from the date she got the Kahr, the holster arrived. Leah has been wearing it on the nights I work for the last three weeks. Since she didn't wear it everyday I gave her some time to get used to it before asking her opinion. She works at a computer a great deal everyday and except for checking her email and occasionally placing an order of some kind she doesn't do any computing at home. So I am going to give you her review of her Side Guard Minimal Holster with standard clip. First the photos.

Leah loves the color of the holster. That is another thing that sold her on the Side Guard. As you can see by the photos, she does not wear a belt and she carries in a crossdraw position. Around the house she wears shorts or jeans and never a belt, so the requirements for the holster were that it be IWB and clip on plus have just a slight reverse cant. The Side Guard fits the bill perfectly. The clip holds the holster firmly in place without a belt and the cant is perfect to let the grip of the Kahr just ride over the top of the waistband on the shorts or jeans. Leah likes that she can holster the Kahr without any worry about the holster material folding over on her. She likes the high back that keeps the slide from rubbing against her. Leah says the workmanship is very good and that she would recommend Side Guard Holsters to anyone who is looking for a quality holster at a reasonable price.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

me
    +1 My Father and I each have a SNAP OWB. Love them
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Go Leah, nice holster.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Nice rig George. I need to get something like that for my wife's pistol.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

You fellas are brave

That's great I think more women around here need to carry.

My wife has trouble driving let alone shooting. She likes the pepper spray tho...

O and I do like the holster. I really like the coloring...

Good luck...

I think it helps to show how a particular holster and gun fits to get an idea if it might work for you,especially for women to see that you can carry a gun IWB and conceal it while still being fashionable
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think it helps to show how a particular holster and gun fits to get an idea if it might work for you,especially for women to see that you can carry a gun IWB and conceal it while still being fashionable
    +1...I think it's great that some people will take the time to take pictures to show the holster being worn. I think it helps members who are looking for new holsters better than just pics of holsters. I'm one who has tons of pics of holsters but not any being worn (I need to work on that).

Thanks for sharing!
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

dr_cmg...

Several questions...

Does your wife CCW regularly like that?
    Can't get my wife to use a holster...only a small flat fanny pack.
    Does your wife find it uncomfortable not using a belt? How does she keep the holster and weapon firmly in place (without a belt)?
    Isn't it a bit uncomfortable (even with a body protector) against the skin?

Congrats on getting her to use an IWB holster...

Take care,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    dr_cmg...

Several questions...

Does your wife CCW regularly like that?
    Can't get my wife to use a holster...only a small flat fanny pack.
    Does your wife find it uncomfortable not using a belt? How does she keep the holster and weapon firmly in place (without a belt)?
    Isn't it a bit uncomfortable (even with a body protector) against the skin?

Congrats on getting her to use an IWB holster...

Take care,

ret
    ret, she only carries that way around the house while I am at work. During the school year I work 3 nights per week. The rest of the time she uses her Coronado purse. Because she works at the college she cannot carry during the day and because of the dress code she is not normally dressed in a manner that she can carry on body. She locks her Kahr in a COM auto gun safe when she arrives at work and takes it out when she gets back into the car.

Leah says that the holster is not uncomfortable without a belt. One of the nice things about a woman's body shape is the hips. They allow the waist to be smaller than the hips in the shorts or jeans and that means she doesn't need a belt to keep the holster up. The clip on the holster is good and snug and the bottom of the clip is just below the material of the waist band. This evidently keeps it snug when combined with the pressure exerted by the body and shorts on the holster with the gun in it. Leah has not problem putting the holster on and working around the kitchen, etc. for and extended period of time without the holster moving. She has practiced drawing from it and the holster does not move when she pulls the Kahr.

She doesn't seem to be bothered by the leather against the skin. Of course she is not outside in the heat with it on. It would bother me, but so would flipflops she is wearing. I can't stand anything between my toes. I imagine that she would want a tee shirt or something on under the holster if she was going to be getting hot. I think that she would probably want a belt to if she were going to be wearing the holster out in public for any length of time. Since she is at home and is keeping the Kahr under cover in case some one comes by and only wears it for 4 or 5 hours she likes the way it is.

By the way Side Guard also offers this holster with a J clip that would work great over a belt. The standard clip works great without the belt.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

dr_cmg...

Thanks for the reply...
    By the way, according to the lists on the frig, you have a lot of "honey do's" for next week...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Good looking color to the holster. Good review too. Glad she likes the holster , I find having a sweat guard on my holster I can wear it next to my skin in our heat up here(80's) in the summer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    dr_cmg...

Thanks for the reply...
    By the way, according to the lists on the frig, you have a lot of "honey do's" for next week...

ret
    Actually my list is hidden behind her. She makes lists for everything including what she wants as gifts. Her sisters call me and ask what is on her list. Her birthday is in August and they'll start calling about mid-July. I'll bring the list into my office area sometime over the next few weeks and make a copy that I can email to the sisters. One of the lists is a shopping list, another of things to take with us to a family get together for July 4. The one with the heart at the top is a recipe. That's OK, because the one with my name on it is long enough.
    George

Great pics, I am going to show them to my wife so she can see how other women carry a pistol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a "honey do" list on the fridge.
    God bless our troops!

Very nice holster.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

+1 on Side Guard Holsters! I have a SNAP that I use for occasional appendix carry of my XD9sc and love it!

I think Eric does great work with a very reasonable price and mine took only 3 weeks.

Congrats on your wifes holster! Great color and finish on the holster in those pics.

I'm also glad she keeps a gun on her person when at home alone!

Home invasions are brutal, fast and extremely violent. You Can Not Have A Gun That Is TOO Close when something like that happens, God forbid!

Stay safe and glad all is happy with the new holster!

Great Job Eric, once again! Keep pounding out those holsters!

(my personal opinion: I find sweat guards to be indispensable on holsters if for no other reason to keep the metal slide from digging into sensitive fleshy areas of my rather fleshy body)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links