IWB practicality questions from a newbie - Page 2

IWB practicality questions from a newbie

This is a discussion on IWB practicality questions from a newbie within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tally XD No matter what you try, what holster you try, what gun you try, if you have to frequently untuck/retuck inorder ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    No matter what you try, what holster you try, what gun you try, if you have to frequently untuck/retuck inorder to remove a gun so you can go into a restricted area or place that you cannot carry, it is going to become impractical.

Tuckable holsters work very well, however, I can tell you from experience they dont tuck quickly and easily enough to repeat the procedure several times a day with any convenience.

Now, if you only need to disarm a couple of times a day, that might work for you. What are your plans to store/hide the gun while you are not carrying it?

I carry an XD45 Service (4" model) in a CompTac Minotaur IWB. I have to tuck while at work and guns are not allowed at work. So mine MUST stay hidden at any cost. Just going to the restroom a couple or three times a day can be a chore when someone is knocking down the office door looking for me or if customers are in my office. A heavy full sized gun isnt easy to get tucked quickly and easily. I have had my gun fall while tucking and hit the floor. Its heavy and gravity wants to take it and your pants to the floor until that gun belt is cinched up tight.
    faithmyeyes, you got some really solid advise from these members. Based on my experience, "Tally XD" said it best and has a very important question for you. Depending on your answer, if you will remove your gun fairly often throughout the day, is getting a tuckable holster the best solution? Why not just get an IWB or OWB and just wear tucked out shirts/polo instead?

If you still insist on getting a tuckable holster, I would go with "rodc13" advise or any KYDEX tuckable holsters e.g. The Answer, MTAC, Crossbreed, etc. So when you are not holstering your gun the kydex holster will retain it's retention which gives you the ability to easily reholster you gun.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

I have read nothing but good reviews on the kydex and leather tuckables (MTAC, Crossbreed, Tuckers, etc), but I cannot imagine them being comfortable versus my Tucker Texas Heritage holster. It's all leather, comes preformed to your hip and is just very very comfortable versus every other holster I've used. It doesn't have a reinforced mouth, but when was the last time the concern you had was reholstering your sidearm rapidly? I am only concerned with getting it out quickly, and this rig is great for tucked in comfort. As I told Rob, I work with people every day up close and personal, and haven't been made yet... You should check it out!

faithmyeyes, you got some really solid advise from these members. Based on my experience, "Tally XD" said it best and has a very important question for you. Depending on your answer, if you will remove your gun fairly often throughout the day, is getting a tuckable holster the best solution? Why not just get an IWB or OWB and just wear tucked out shirts/polo instead?
    There's actually two separate scenarios I have to describe in order to answer this question. The first, and the reason I'm considering a tuckable holster, is essentially for Sundays or "nice" evenings out, where I'm dressed a little more tidily. Those are the only times I would actually carry tucked, and I wouldn't anticipate needing to disarm during those times.

The times I'd need to disarm are the second scenario, and those are why I want the Kydex holster - so I could just unholster, clear and case without having to mess with my belt and pants, then wear the holster empty until I could re-arm. I'd usually be disarming/re-arming in a parking lot, and wouldn't want to have to stand up outside the car to manage all that and risk showing my weapon to everyone (OC isn't legal here).

OWB concealment just isn't an option for me beyond the training range. The Hi-Power is just too long, given my proportions. A more concealable gun sometime in the future, maybe - but I like the Hi-Power and shoot well with it, and don't really want to replace it. If I felt I needed deep concealment, I could switch to the little Mustang "Plus II" I inherited from my father.

One thing that IMHO is an absolute must is a very good gun belt.
    Roger. That's definitely part of the plan.

Are you going to carry extra ammo? If so, where and how might be worth looking at.
    I don't know yet.

when was the last time the concern you had was reholstering your sidearm rapidly?
    Never. My concern is being able to wear the holster empty without damaging it. As far as I know you can't do that with any of the leather ones - not even the ones with stiffeners around the mouth.

Thanks for all the input. This is a great forum - probably has the highest "signal to noise" ratio of all the forums I've participated in.

faithmyeyes

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Good answer! You know when you will be tucked and when you wont be. Thats a great start.

Now, considering what type of "nice clothing" you will be wearing when you do tuck will determine what holster you will need/want.

Any tuckable holster made of the hybrid leather/kydex should stand up well. You can wear it without the gun and it wont deform. What you need to consider now is what type of clothing will be worn when tucked so that you know very well what you have to do QUCIKLY and ACCURATELY when and if you ever need to draw your weapon in defense.
    As one poster said, "Who has ever worried about how quickly they can reholster their weapon". True, that isnt a concern now. What is a concern is how quickly you can get the dang thing out when needed. Its also nice to know that you can reholster without having to basically take your pants off to do so.
    Whatever you have tucked over the pistol to conceal it must also be untucked in order to get the pistol into your hand. If you get hung up in the process, you might also get shot.

The Crossbreed Supertuck and the CTac Minotaur are almost identical in design. Either one should do you well. The Dakota Defender also looks nice but it doesnt appear to have as much area for "tucking" The clips look to highly mounted to allow a good deep tuck.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Howdy!

A few things come to mind: I am personally very much against a "tuckable" because it slows access to the weapon and greatly increases the "fumble factor". Having said that, whichever way you decide to carry, do it the same way all of the time. Under stress and very short time constraints, you don't need be fumbling around trying to figure out how you happen to be carrying at that particular moment.

I am also opposed to the use of Kydex clips of any kind. I'll qualify this by saying that there are folks who will disagree with me on this, but my concern is that they work great until they don't. I've seen Kydex fatigue and break with little warning.

As far as carrying a reload, always, always, always carry at least one. I've seen mag springs break and followers jam leaving even perfectly reliable weapons virtually worthless. A spare mag is cheap insurance.

One final note - seek out some good tactical training. Most of the guys who I know that own guns and shoot (even a lot) are still not well equipped to survive an armed encounter. You won't realize that you didn't know what you didn't know until it is too late. A class or two will make all the difference in staying alive. Good luck!

A few things come to mind: I am personally very much against a "tuckable" because it slows access to the weapon and greatly increases the "fumble factor". Having said that, whichever way you decide to carry, do it the same way all of the time.
    I can see the sense in that - the problem is that I don't dress the same way all the time. I don't think carrying tucked is a great solution, and will avoid doing so unless dress mandates it.

I am also opposed to the use of Kydex clips of any kind. I'll qualify this by saying that there are folks who will disagree with me on this, but my concern is that they work great until they don't. I've seen Kydex fatigue and break with little warning.
    I'm not crazy about them myself. It's not obvious to me why stiffened snap loops wouldn't be as effective, but that's likely because I have zero expertise in holster-making (and not much more in holster-using).

I've decided to give an MTAC a try. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm very much in the mode of trying to get the most "bang for the buck" out of the weapons and skills I already have and those I can acquire at a high value-to-cost ratio. Time for practice I have; scads of money to try umpteen different weapon/holster combinations (as fun as it might be) I don't have.

One final note - seek out some good tactical training.
    This is what I'd rather spend the money on, when it's available. The two-day Defensive Handgun course at Shootrite was worth it to me and then some - I'm hoping to return at some point for the second Handgun and possibly the concealment course.

Tuckable holsters work exceptionally well in the circumstances for which they're designed and when the individual is well-versed and practiced in their use. Some people may not want to take the time to become proficient, and hence their distaste and bias. A tuckable holster is a tool, just like any other, and may permit concealed carry when circumstances may not otherwise permit. It's much better to have your weapon with you at all times.

Many very respected holster makers have found the advantages presented by use of Kydex in belt clips and holster forms. With proper use, such as avoiding over-flexing when putting them on or taking them off, clips such as those on the MTAC will last just fine. The material is really quite strong and won't just break.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My rig

Here's my raven IWB tuckable. Very sweet. Check them out at ravenconcealment.com and for sales at the malabarfront.com. Obviously mine is for an attached tac light but they have all different rigs. Everything fits nicely and I carry a full size .40 cal G22. The great thing is this holster is able to do both OWB and IWB with a simple 3 min switch. It comes already as and OWB and you just pick up the IWB attachment for a little more. Great adaptability.
    Attached Images
    I would rather sit before 12 than be carried by 6

"And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one".---Jesus
    Luke 22:36
    to the remaining eleven disciples following the last supper.

VIP Member
    Someone has to recomend you look at a VersaMax-II!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links