IWB practicality questions from a newbie

This is a discussion on IWB practicality questions from a newbie within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the process of shopping for my first "serious" IWB carry rig. I've been trying to think about what the ideal features would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB practicality questions from a newbie

IWB practicality questions from a newbie

I'm in the process of shopping for my first "serious" IWB carry rig. I've been trying to think about what the ideal features would be for my purposes, and a few questions came up that maybe someone with experience could help me with.

- I carry a Browning Hi-Power, which is a full-size pistol, but relatively slim. I'm of average build, about 6' 1", ~200lbs. Do you think I'd be able to conceal the HP with a "tuckable" rig, or is that for smaller pistols only?

- The Tucker "Answer" looks like a really nice setup. Could a holster that is half-Kydex, as that one is, stand up to being worn empty for a while? It would make certain aspects of my routine much easier to not have to practically take my pants off if I needed to disarm before going into firearm-restricted places.

- What are "V" clips, and how do they compare with "standard," "J," and "C" clips?

- What do I need to know that I wasn't informed enough to ask?

Thanks
    faithmyeyes

2. Remove Ads

I myself find that tucking in works better for me.. I'm 6'2" 240.

I cannot speak for the Tucker but I have made this and I can wear without a weapon no worries..

The V clips have a Velcro outer on them to attach to a layer of Velcro on the inside of your belt.. This way they are hard to see.. J clips are in my opinion the easiest one to take off.. I have just put C clips on my rig for the lac of being noticeable while tucked in and still save me from a new belt with Velcro..

I hope this helps..

God luck.

Ok, I carry a full size 1911 IWB, roughly 6' 200#, yup you can make it work with the right rig.

The gun belt is important too, don't skimp on that. I carried mine in a crossbreed super-tuck for a while, it is a great holster, conceals really well.

Basically in order to get the most out of your holster you need a complete set up, that involves both a belt, and clothing, also, have you considered extra mags?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've got the Tucker Answer, and it works great, whether tucked or untucked. I carry a compact 1911 in it, but I think a full size 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power would work just as well. The Tucker is an exceptionally well-made holster and I recommend it without reservation.

It will certainly hold up to being carried empty, while you get used to it. The kydex holds its shape with no problems. That was one of the reasons I picked the Answer, because it doesn't require a reinforcing band about the lip to keep it from collapsing, so it can be thinner, yet still permit reholstering with one hand..

Here's the Answer and a Tucker IWB single mag pouch, also tuckable.

That said, I'm planning to carry my Hi-Power outside the waistband, in a "Regulator", by Nate at UBG Holsters. I've admired that particular holster since he showed the first prototype. I'd also like to have one of Eric Larsen's IWB rigs for it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Crossbreed Supertuck, Tucker Answer, MTAC whatever-it's-called...all should perform more than adequately.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    No matter what you try, what holster you try, what gun you try, if you have to frequently untuck/retuck inorder to remove a gun so you can go into a restricted area or place that you cannot carry, it is going to become impractical.

Tuckable holsters work very well, however, I can tell you from experience they dont tuck quickly and easily enough to repeat the procedure several times a day with any convenience.

Now, if you only need to disarm a couple of times a day, that might work for you. What are your plans to store/hide the gun while you are not carrying it?

I carry an XD45 Service (4" model) in a CompTac Minotaur IWB. I have to tuck while at work and guns are not allowed at work. So mine MUST stay hidden at any cost. Just going to the restroom a couple or three times a day can be a chore when someone is knocking down the office door looking for me or if customers are in my office. A heavy full sized gun isnt easy to get tucked quickly and easily. I have had my gun fall while tucking and hit the floor. Its heavy and gravity wants to take it and your pants to the floor until that gun belt is cinched up tight.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I can tell you that I was able to conceal a G22 IWB in this fashion. I am 5-10 and 150lbs.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

+1 to Tally XD...tuckable holsters do allow tucking, but it isn't a quick process. Depending on the size of the gun and holster, it can be a royal pain. If you're going to need to disarm a bit, and need to tuck, a good gun belt is a must to try to mitigate the risk of the gun falling out.

Someone here has mentioned that a spatula is a good tool for aiding in tucking...you've just gotta explain why you've always got a spatula at hand.

-JT

You won't have any problems at all with the right holster. I use a crossbreed supertuck, but there are plenty of good ones out there.

Tucking, and getting it right is a PITA though and I seldom do it. If I'm dressing for an occassion where I have to tuck, I'll often just pocket carry a smaller gun as an alternative, unless there's a real reason to go full size.

With the right holster it is not a problem. I will often tuck a 5" 1911.

Both Tucker and Crossbreed are well made rigs. They share a feature I am not fond of though... the exposed muzzle. I have a crossbreed and found my pants were getting worn out where they rubbed the muzzle, not good.

In the end I found the Dakota Defender by K&D on this very site. It is a fantastic rig with everything I could want for a very reasonable price. K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories
    They have them for the BHP.

Not to repeat the others above me...let me add just one option to any brand IWB holster you should choose. A body protector could prove helpful with any IWB holster. OMO
    (This is an extra piece of leather that covers the slide/trigger portion of the weapon that would/could touch the skin when wearing the holster. Even while wearing a T-shirt under another shirt, the leather helps protect the weapon from body sweat and oils.)

Stay armed...stay comfortable...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[QUOTE]What do I need to know that I wasn't informed enough to ask?
    /QUOTE]

One thing that IMHO is an absolute must is a very good gun belt. Stiffer than a regular belt they provide a better, more stable platform upon which to "hang" your gun. Can't emphasize too strongly how important this is.

Many of the previous posts have mentioned some quality IWB (inside the waist band) holsters. If IWB is what you choose then (given how tightly you wear your trousers) you might have to give some consideration to that. I am 6'3" and weigh 260 and find that, for me, wearing my trousers a size larger (to accommodate the IWB rig) is an absolute must for a comfortable and effective carry situation.

Are you going to carry extra ammo? If so, where and how might be worth looking at. Good luck
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    One thing that IMHO is an absolute must is a very good gun belt. Stiffer than a regular belt they provide a better, more stable platform upon which to "hang" your gun. Can't emphasize too strongly how important this is.
    QFT!!! A good belt is a must. A normal belt will deform where the gun is attached and guaranteed to tear/deform where it fastens.

I have a 1 1/4" Don Hume black belt that works great with my tuckables and is nice enough to wear with a suit. It was also reasonably priced ($50 comes to mind but it was 2 years ago!)

Oops, wrong thread!
    Last edited by Musketeer; July 1st, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Deleted due to posting in wrong thread!

Comp- tac C-Tac or Minitaur (sp?)is the way to go. 6' was 225 down to 200 now but I switch between a 1911 full size IWB or my Beretta 92. As we know the 92 is much fatter and It is very concealable and easy to access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links