How often do you replace your belt? - Page 2

How often do you replace your belt?

This is a discussion on How often do you replace your belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland I hope that my directness doesn't offend anyone. I'm just not all that diplomatic. I apologize in advance for any ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you replace your belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    I hope that my directness doesn't offend anyone. I'm just not all that diplomatic. I apologize in advance for any ruffled feathers. :)

Gary,
    I appreciate your honesty, it's always useful to get a professional's impression of things such as this - especially when they're willing to bypass the PC stuff and be direct about it.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion of the Wilderness Tactical belts as well. While I don't get to the trout stream as much as I use to, it'd be good to have an affordable alternative to wearing my good leather (and maybe falling in with it ... again! ). I'm pretty much in jeans everyday anyway so the "ultra casual" look of the 5 stitch belt wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.
    Thanks Gary and everyone else, this place is great!
    Jack

but they advised me that it is too stiff to wear with IWB concealment holsters because it cannot bend enough to follow the contours of the gun.
    I'm not Mr. Brommeland obviously:), but I do have two Wilderness belts: one 5 stitch Instructor 1.5" non-polymer, and a polymer-lined Frequent Flyer 1.25". While the polymer insert does make the belt stiffer than one would expect, it's not like it stays in a straight line or something when tightened instead of following the contours of one's waist with holster attached-mine doesn't behave that way by any means, and if it did, I don't think they'd sell too many of them. Go figure though.

I've had the Instructor for 2 years now, with no meaningful signs of wear at all....same with the FF, and consider both of them some of my better firearm/CCW investments. As I mostly carry concealed and typically wear things over my waist area (sweater or square bottom shirt, etc.), my belts aren't normally seen anyway, so I personally prefer function over the nice looks of a good leather belt (especially including the infinite adjustment these kinds of belts offer).

I'm pretty much in jeans everyday anyway so the "ultra casual" look of the 5 stitch belt wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.
    I use thier Frequent Flyer belt in tan (used two delrin rings for the "buckle" instead of the huge metal assembly of the Instructor) for just such occasions...despite being only 1.25", it still holds my 1911's up effectively if slightly less comfortably, and it makes a great jeans belt that doesn't scream "gun belt!" if you wear it when it can be seen.

FWIW, YMMV, IMO, blah, blah.

Chris
    Last edited by Crucible; November 14th, 2005 at 12:25 AM.

I have had my Instructor belt since 93 or so. It was an everyday belt for years. I bought the plastic lined version and it is still one of my favorite belts.
    Heavy leather or latigo belts are very comfortable too. They will take a shape after a bit. I got so fed up with trying to find a real leather belt several year ago and started making them for myself.
    The biggest mistake I see folks doing with their belts is carrying too much gear on too little belt. Those 1" fashion belts are for just that: fashion. A 1.5"wide or better yet a 1.75" is far superior. It also needs to be the width of the slots or loop on your holster.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    HollowpointHank, while some garrison belts are too weak for holster carry, if you can find a new, thick garrison belt it can work. I have a Strong garrison belt from my uniform days that works well for OWB carry. However some belts I had before wore out quickly so quality is a big issue (as Gary said). I have found the trick is to get the stiffest belt ya can and wear it till it comforms to ya and your rig. No mink oil or anything to soften em up either.

GGL
    Gary,
    How ya been?
    How's the new shop???

My personal daily carry belt is sharkskin over horsehide that I made for myself about seven years ago and needs to be replaced mainly because my waist is outgrowing it, (or it's somehow shrunk). The horsehide is getting a little softer in the tongue area where the holes are punched, but still stiff throughout the belt. The shark-skin looks as new and scuff free as the day it was made. Gotta love shark!!

I've also tried the cowhide/horsehide combination in belts and it works well, provided you can get strips of horsehide long enough.

Widerness Tactical is only a few blocks away from me in Phoenix.
    Nice group of guys and neat operation. they have a Juki sewing machine computerized just to do their rectangular box stitch. I've only bought accessories for my M16-M4 in the showroom and don't personally own any of their belts but other LE instructors I work with have them and they appear very stable and top-notch. I can say their rifle slings are excellent.
    "He who works with his hands is a labourer, He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, He who works with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist." (St. Francis of Assisi)
    Mark Garrity
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by GGL
    Gary,
    How ya been?
    How's the new shop???
    Hi Mark!

Welcome to the forum! In answer to your questions, I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest. The new shop has a few bugs (though they are rapidly getting worked out), but overall it's really a step up from what I'm used to.
    Thanks for the input ref: Wilderness products. I'm looking forward to my sample arriving - it should be here tomorrow.
    I would encourage you to get involved here and do some posting. The more input that we get, the better.
    I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you. Take care, buddy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links