Question about my MTAC..leather binding..

This is a discussion on Question about my MTAC..leather binding.. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a glock 23, and I sleeve it in CompTac Minotaur IWB Holster. I'm having a bit of a concern about the shape the ...

I have a glock 23, and I sleeve it in CompTac Minotaur IWB Holster. I'm having a bit of a concern about the shape the holster is taking after less than a month of wearing it. Should I be concerned about this or just let it ride? Please take a look at the pictures and please let me know what you think.This first picture shows where the leather is curling up to protect, or shield the Kydex from cutting into any of my clothing or leg. I'm ok with this, doesn't bother me one bit.

The next picture is where my concern is. Right below the trigger guard, that leather that is there, is starting to curl up and buckle. Am I wearing this holster wrong? Do I need to adjust the ride height? I think the bottom of the belt clip is pushing on my pants making the leather do this, or is it happening from the hanging off my belt that's making it happen?

Has this happened to anyone else that has this same holster? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks, And I will be emailing this to CompTac shortly.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have had one for about 6 months. No issues like that.

My first question would be how are you positioning it? It almost looks like you are sliding it down your pants and the bottom lip is being rolled up and you are wearing it that way.

Please let us know what Comp-Tac says.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I have had one for about 6 months. No issues like that.

My first question would be how are you positioning it? It almost looks like you are sliding it down your pants and the bottom lip is being rolled up and you are wearing it that way.

Please let us know what Comp-Tac says.
    The bottom curl really doesn't concern me, it's the other curl, the one under the trigger guard, looks almost as if the leather isn't stiff enough to support the weight of the gun. If it's not stiff enough, then maybe something went wrong..I don't know. I was told that the holster 9/10 times is perfect the way it comes out of the box, so I tried it out, voila, it was. Fit great, was really comfortable, but now it just seems like the holster is sagging from that one clip and it's not strong enough to support the G23.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    From the pics, I wouldn't worry about it. It's getting broken in. Neither the leather or the kydex is gonna break, so it should hold your gun just fine.

It almost looks like the leather is pushing down on a chair seat or something bottoming it out causing it to curl up,what you can do is trim the curled up portion off it won't affect the holster in any way,and the curling by trigger guard could be caused by up pressure on the leather,I would trim the leather off and see if it fits better and solves the problem,the clips look like they are adjusted about right to where the gun should be riding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My MTAC has been holding my G23 for a little over a year now and no issues.......the bottom flap on mine has curled up some but the leather by the trigger guard......address by both dukalmighty and bluelineman.....it's just breaking in and molding around you and how you wear it. Unless it's causing a retention issue (dosn't look like it is) I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You might holler at Comp-Tac just to let them know what is going on. It looks like just harmless break-in to me, but I know that they actually read and use end-user input, and it might tell them something. I don't wear IWB, but don't think I'd adjust anything if it was comfortable.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It looks to me like you might want to adjust the rearward clip one hole to allow the pistol butt to drop down (back).
    Seems like you are trying to push the pistol butt down while the rear clip fights against it folding the leather. Or, its possible that the gun isnt canted forward enough and the weight is pushing down the butt of the gun causing the ripple in leather.

Adjust your clip and find the most comfortable position so you dont have the tendency to push the gun down.
    Last edited by Tally XD; July 1st, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The bottom curl is normal. A picture wearing it might be helpful to diagnose the other problem.
    Sig 229 Elite .40 S&W
    HK P2000 sk

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    It looks to me like you might want to adjust the rearward clip one hole to allow the pistol butt to drop down (back).
    Seems like you are trying to push the pistol butt down while the rear clip fights against it folding the leather.

Adjust your clip and find the most comfortable position so you dont have the tendency to push the gun down.
    I agree. This is what it looks like. That ripple seems to be caused by an unbalanced weight. Try moving that rear clip a hole.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    My MTAC has been holding my G23 for a little over a year now and no issues.......the bottom flap on mine has curled up some but the leather by the trigger guard......address by both dukalmighty and bluelineman.....it's just breaking in and molding around you and how you wear it. Unless it's causing a retention issue (dosn't look like it is) I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Mine has been doing the same thing. Not a show stopper by any means.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've been wearing mine for almost two months now. Mostly with a G27, sometimes with a G19 or 23. Mine isn't curling up on the bottome but loooks similar to yours near the retention screw. I assume you are wearing it at 4 o'clock which is causing the leather to mold to your back. That is what makes it so comfortable.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I cut the bottom "curl" off mine for the g27..dont use anymore since I went to milt sparks vm2..leather loops are more comforthable than the belt clips...

Links