Defensive Carry banner

MTAC???.....Milt Sparks, K&D, Bulman etc, WATCH OUT!!

14K views 104 replies 40 participants last post by  TwinCarry 
#1 · (Edited)
I responded to a recent thread, for someone seeking advise for the best IWB for his Glock 26. I notice a very interesting fact. I decided to copy and transfer my answer in a new thread in hopes to get as many responses as possible.

Here it is:

"Wow, MTAC is really making a name for itself!!! I posted 3 Milt Sparks IWB holsters (VM II, Watch 6 & Summer Special) and so far not one member replied a "+1". Almost 95% of the members who responded, recommended an MTAC !!! :boese51:

Hmmmmm, I did recently purchase an MTAC for my Hi-Power. I haven't had the chance to wear it yet. I guess I need to try it on soon to see what all the HYPE is about!!! :confused:

I've notice holster makers like MTAC, Comp-Tac, Crossbreed etc. are very popular lately due to thier holsters that - Does the job, reasonable cost, great customer service and most importantly SHORT Turnaround Times!!! :congrats: This may also be the reason why custom used holsters are not as easy to sell compared to a few years ago due to the holsters mentioned above (my opinion). For example, do I really want to buy a used MS VM II for $160 or should I just get a BRAND NEW MTAC for almost half the price and get it in less than a week???"

Let's make this thread more interesting and FUN! :danceban: Who ever comes up with the BEST ANSWER (sorry, but I'll be the judge of that), will win a USED KRAMER Horsehide IWB #3. I will NOT charge for shipping either. I PROMISE, no strings attached. Unfortunately, I don't know what pistol this holster is for.

Here's a history of this mysterious holster; I purchased this a year ago from ebay for $75 plus shipping. When recieved, it didn't fit my 3" 1911. I was so upset that I didn't bother returning it. :mad: It's been sitting in my holster drawer for over a year now, so I might as well put this holster to use. This is too big for my 1911 3", and remember it's a USED holster but....... a used Kramer is still a KRAMER right? :wink:

I will anounce the winner this Sunday 07/06/2008 at approximately 7pm (Central Time).

BTW, if you're not interested in this holster, can you please respond anyway? I'd like to hear your thoughts and will appreciate it very much. Thank you!

So here's my question:

Do custom holster makers like the GREAT Milt Sparks, Bulman, Del Fatti, K&D, Kramer and so on, need to worry about the latest holster trend like the MTAC??? :confused:

See less See more
#39 ·
Honda will never cut into the sales of Porsche, and the MTAC will never cut into the sales of Sparks, Del Fatti, Alessi, etc. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that their customers are after different things.

The Honda is cheaper and faster to get (usually) than the Porsche, but there is no comparison between the two. Same thing with kydex vs leather. IMO.

The high end makers mentioned above have nothing to worry about from the kydex guys. They each have their own fan base.

By the way, could some of you guys please start buying the kydex stuff. Maybe we could get my wait times down a bit? :image035:

#51 ·
regarding Del Fatti

the MTAC will never cut into the sales of Sparks, Del Fatti, Alessi, etc.
Maybe MTAC willl never cut into the sales of Del Fatti, but MTAC is being produced and sold; the Del Fatti website states they are not taking orders and are currently working orders placed in July 2006.

Possibly some leather enthusiasts think a 2 year wait is acceptable to them; it would not be acceptable to me.

#40 ·
Kydex was never for me. Custom leather is just so much sexier than kydex. I think that custom leather guys need to watch out if they are not making an adjustable custom IWB holster. IMO, the K&D IWB Defender series is at the top of the food chain for all the reasons out there like quality, accesibility without a crazy lead time, plus it has the features of the MTAC without the bulk.

Cant has always been different for me depending on the gun and the day. Why not buy an adjustable holster that can adapt to these nuances and eliminate accumulating holsters? Oops, I forgot that I like to rummage through the holster box every now and then.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's only been 3 days and so far we've had lots of great responses!! :danceban:

Another line from a member which I enjoyed very much. Also has an interesting point of view; "Honda will never cut into the sales of Porsche, and the MTAC will never cut into the sales of Sparks, Del Fatti, Alessi, etc. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that their customers are after different things.".

Going back to my question, "Do leather holster makers need to worry?” At this point, I think it's pretty obvious that the answer is NO. :smile:

With everything said in this thread so far, I think its safe to say that when it comes to functionality and comfort, the kydex's family of holsters like MTAC, Crossbreed or Comp-Tac are just as good as the family of fine leather holsters like Milt Sparks, Alessi, or Bulman. Our choice in holsters are really based on the individual's personality, style and preference. Do we agree?

Then you have folks who just love holsters and would try them all! I fall in this category. :aargh4:

#42 ·
Not to derail the thread but isn't it kind of silly to talk about the beauty of a fine leather IWB holster? Nobody sees it tucked into your pants anyway.

OWB I could understand, but IWB????

It is also slightly amusing, this opinion that somehow the "leather holster" crowd is a cut above the "kydex" crowd. Porsches and Hondas???? Please. Putting a Glock into a $150 piece of leather is like a tuxedo on a pig. Now a Wilson Combat .45? Now you're talking.

Back to the previously programmed thread....................

#45 ·
Plastic, come on!! I ordered a supertuck until this arrived, needless to say it has been in the drawer every since.

#46 ·
I guess I got lucky with my "Blabbermouth".

Usually my Shotgun mouth over loads my BB Gun Rear End. :danceban: I'd like to thank the Academy and all the people, oh wait, wrong speech.

Anyway, thank you and take care. I am honored and undeserving, but appreciative.

Biker :palmier:

#50 ·
Thanks for the pic,

Can you use the newer, thinner Kydex clips similar to the new MTACs or are those clips specific to the VMII? I notice on the Milt Sparks page that they say that the clips do not attach to the belt. Does that make it more concealable?

#60 ·
No, you cannot use the MTACs clips, old or new version. As far as I know the MS VMII clips are specific to their holsters. As far as concealability is concern when attaching clips to pants vs the belt? - ABSOLUTELY! It is more concealed that way as long as you use a belt on top of the clips. Hope that helps.

#52 ·
I know I'm too late for the holster, but I thought I'd add my 2¢ anyway.

No. But also yes.

I'll explain.

No: The MTAC will never, ever cut into the aesthetic market -- that is, somebody looking for a beautiful holster will never, ever choose the MTAC. Also, custom leather makers never had any hand in the absolute "bottom dollar" market for people looking for something supercheap. So the custom leather makers always have and probably always will have a niche in that beautiful, "holistic experience" category.

But also yes: there is a group of buyers who are willing to spend a bit more than bottom dollar on a comfortable and very practical holster for everyday wear. That usually means a durable and comfortable IWB. Once upon a time, custom leather was the only way to go for a truly comfortable and useful IWB that would be good enough so that you'd "forget you were carrying." However, the MTAC and the like have taken over that middle ground, of the practical rather than aesthetic; the durable rather than beautiful.

The custom leather makers will always be in business because there will always be people willing to pay top dollar for a truly beautiful experience. But those looking for the best possible practical holster without regard for aesthetic appeal, a very large constituency, seems to be surging towards the MTAC. The fancy leather holsters will always have a market, but I think that they are absolutely losing the "best practical holster" category.

Honda may not cut into Ferrari, but I think the better example is Toyota cutting into Lexus. Never shall the purchasers of Hondas and Ferraris mix... but there's a middle ground of folks who would go as high as a Lexus, but not when they can get equal quality out of a Toyota and aren't too caught up in the hood ornament.

#63 · (Edited)
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I finally had the time to read "biasedbulldog's" response and I'm speechless. That was one HECK of a response. You were right BikerRN, that would of been pretty hard to beat!

#54 ·
It is also slightly amusing, this opinion that somehow the "leather holster" crowd is a cut above the "kydex" crowd. Porsches and Hondas???? Please.
Glad that amused you. That was the main purpose of the sentence. I didn't mean to imply that the "leather likers" (me) were better than the kydex guys. Most of the guys I work with use some form of Kydex on a daily basis and I consider them some of the best men to walk the earth.

Possibly some leather enthusiasts think a 2 year wait is acceptable to them; it would not be acceptable to me.
And that's the beauty of it. Different strokes, different folks. I have and would wait over a year for a great holster.

#55 ·
WOW!!

Just when I thought this thread was over.....we get more interesting reponses! Keep it going...........very intriguing stuff!!!!

#56 ·
With everything said in this thread so far, I think its safe to say that when it comes to functionality and comfort, the kydex's family of holsters like MTAC, Crossbreed or Comp-Tac are just as good as the family of fine leather holsters like Milt Sparks, Alessi, or Bulman. Our choice in holsters are really based on the individual's personality, style and preference. Do we agree?

Then you have folks who just love holsters and would try them all! I fall in this category. :aargh4:

My Kydex family of holsters:

MTAC w/ Hi-Power:

Crossbreed Deluxe SuperTuck w/ HK USPc:

Tucker "The Answer" w/ HK USPc:

Then of course you have the Fine Leather Family of holsters:

Nossar Valovak Sharkskin & Milt Sparks Belt w/ EMP:

Bulman PDL Sharkskin w/ HK P2000sk:

Ah, can't forget the Milt Sparks Versa Max II w/ HK P2000sk (wish I had this with sharkskin!):

#57 ·
Very nice :congrats:Twincarry
The custom makers have always been competing with off the shelf get it now holsters and the list of custom makers is growing...(some not)....
I truly want one of each but my first choice is leather or exotics!!
There may be a Stingray in the future:hand5:
Twincarry That EMP rig is awesome.
I will give $20.00 and pay shipping for that Bullman for my USPc :rofl:

#58 ·
I love leather myself...but you have to hand it to the hybrids...nothing is as fast as kydex.

I may have to try out one of those.

#59 ·
Man, those custom leather holsters are beautiful. I have an MTAC and love it. Later in life when I'm making more than $10 an hour, I might have to go for custom leather.

#61 ·
So no deal on the Bullman Twincarry?:embarassed:

#62 ·
lol sorry cdwolf, nice try though! Besides, why are you after my Bulman, when your the one with my dream holster - Milt Sparks Versa Max II with Sharkskin!!! :aargh4:

Your nice VM II is for what pistol of yours? If your going to tell me it's for your USP/c, can we talk??? :image035:

Thanks for the compliment on my EMP rig - Got lucky on that one!

#69 · (Edited)
"Hanging Holster/Shoe Organizer"

For my final answer, I would like to share my holster collection to my fellow members. Hopefully this shows proof that "CUSTOM LEATHER HOLSTERS" are here to stay!!!!!!!!!!

.....And now I present to you my "Hanging Holster Organizer" collection:

BTW, I'm off to the Gun Show this weekend in hopes to finally get my 2nd pistol! :rofl:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOOKING!

#70 ·
For my final answer, I would like to share my holster collection to my fellow members. And to hopefully prove that "CUSTOM LEATHER HOLSTERS" are here to stay!

I present to you my "Hanging Holster Organizer"
You are to gunleather as Sarah Jessica Parker is to shoes. :bigsmile:

#71 ·
All I can come up with is ...WOW... Very nice
Now show us a picture of that 4' x8' safe:rolleyes:

#74 ·
I had a M-Tac at one time and couldnt get comfortable with it,though I now have a Tucker "the Answer" which I love.It has a few minor differences that make all the difference in the world...I have holsters make from kydex and from fine leather.They all serve their purposes and all are comfortable...Life would be a little bring if we only had a few holsters to choose from!

#76 ·
pen66, thought I'd let you know that you're right about the Answer! Very comfortable. Also regarding the new style clips, after wearing it a couple of times, I'm starting to really like it. I've been wearing it with my black jeans and the black thin clips actually looks like my jean's belt loops! Pretty cool!

#75 ·
Everyone has their tastes, likes and dislikes, hence the MANY leather crafters and holsters designs on the market. I've tired several holsters, but found the fit, comfort and ease of use of the M Tac to suit me just fine. And the fact that it arrived in less than and Comp Tac has given me NOTHING but great customer. Much more than I can say about some others who ripped me off totally, NEVER delivering a holster or a refund, or had endless delays and excuses.

#79 ·
That Tucker looks awesome! I intend to get one for my Ruger GP100 three inch barrel.

I do enjoy my recently acquired MTAC however. I have a few weapons and quite a few leather holsters...and I must tell you, the G26 in the MTAC is the most comfortable holster I've ever worn. The leather/kydex combo is so thin...fast...comfortable. I've finally found a weapon I can carry IWB that meets all my needs.

#80 · (Edited)
Speaking about the MTAC (still within our original topic), I don't doubt the comfort it provides, I know this because I've been wearing one myself. But I'm seriously having doubts with the quaility of thier work. Checkout my MTAC for my Hi-Power, it's either they rushed to get this holster out for an impressive turnaround, or the quality of their work is really dissapointing. Are the back of your MTAC just like mine? See those wet looking areas? They are actually spots that look like a sloppy glue job. I don't know. Also the outer area looks dirty, well thats how it was the day I recieved it.

The MTACs and it's kind have their place in the market when comfort are discussed, but when it comes down to true quaility of work, there's just no comparison to a Sparks or a Fatti. MTACs are tools that work but without the feeling of "Pride of Ownership"............my opinion, of course.

#81 ·
I just didn't care for how the kydex holster part had that lip that slid through the leather to create a lump on the backside.The Tucker attaches on the front creating a nice smooth backside and the suede backing is also very nice....I think I'm hijacking our thread,maybe we should make a new one...sorry!!!

#82 ·
Some people like Kydex and Glocks:rofl:
I just don't understand:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.