MTAC???.....Milt Sparks, K&D, Bulman etc, WATCH OUT!!

This is a discussion on MTAC???.....Milt Sparks, K&D, Bulman etc, WATCH OUT!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think that the fine leather holster makers have to worry. Some like kydex and some like leather. I've tried several IWB holsters both ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MTAC???.....Milt Sparks, K&D, Bulman etc, WATCH OUT!!

I don't think that the fine leather holster makers have to worry. Some like kydex and some like leather. I've tried several IWB holsters both leather and kydex. So far I think that my MTAC is the most comfortable. But that is just my opinion. I liked my Maxcon V, it was very comfortable. It just so happens that my MTAC is more comfortable.

The Maxcon was the only custom made leather holster that I purchased. I am currently waiting for a VM II for my G27. I should get it in August. By then I will have been using my MTAC for 3 months. I'll give the VM II a fair shake and make a decision.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Same as a few other post. I do not think the custom leather only makers have anything to worry about - otherwise that wait time would not be so long. Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, & others have a good if not great product line. But they are in a different class of holster design/manufacturing. For my fine leather holsters it is OWB only. I want to be able to show case that quality and craftsmanship. Not to say my Crossbreed or MTAC is not crafted with quality - because it is - but I don't need beauty for IWB - I need comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Totally untrue......I've had several high end custom leather holsters and none of them beats the MTAC.
    You have obviously never owned a Matt Del Fatti holster. Don;t get me wrong, I love Kydex and own 15 Kydex rigs from FIST,Comptac,UCR Threat, Raven, Kytac, and some unknown home made jobbers but Matt is a perfectionist and his fit,finish and stitching is the best I have seen and I have a box of 50+ holsters from all the makers.

Most high end makers have nothing to worry about because the end product speaks for itself. Waiting sucks but one day they will show up on my door steps. I have orders with Alessi,Bulman and Sparks still months from delivery but I will patiently wait in line for the goods. Like many here, I am a leather junky and often find a new holster in the mail is better than a new firearm. Kind of like buying a new tie for that old suit.

I do wonder about some makers like Mitch Rosen who makes fantastic leather but has some very high pricing on his full detail stuff. I do think twice about buying his leather when I know I can buy Sparks,Bulman or Alessi for half the price. I bet he makes most of his business these days from his express line. Cost can drive away demand.

Great Thread Rod
    Last edited by orangehole; July 2nd, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Prvt. Toter View Post
    Kydex or Leather are truely two different animals, PAPER OR PLASTIC. Both serve the purpose...like a Kia will get you to work, but a Cadilac will do it in style...
    The comment above in my opinion really holds its ground. I was going wait a little while to give my opinion to my own question or concern. Let's repeat this line "a Kia will get you to work, but a Cadilac will do it in style" - In the pistol holster industry, this line is pretty realistic in my view. When comparing Cadilac to fine leather vs Kia with Kydex, I think at this level comfort, functionality and effectiveness is no longer the issure here. As we know, with my observations recently, milt sparks and MTAC meet all the requirements that were just mentioned. What draws the line is if you like to wear it in style!

So when someone new ask, what's the best IWB? Should we ask the newbie more questions like, what their true intentions are? As one member put it "Some people need a fancy BBQ gun and rig to show off to their friends". If you ask me? Oh yeah! I have lots of fancy BBQ rigs......just don't own a grill yet.
    Last edited by TwinCarry; July 3rd, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added comments
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

I have the CTAC and I do like it. I bet the MTAC is more comfortable. But, IMHO, my K&D Cochise Defender is more comfortable and looks a lot nicer. I like the custom holster and this one is top drawer!!

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have two K&D Dakota Defenders on order. One for a PM9, the other for an Ultra CDP II. I went back and forth between them and a MTAC but in the end, I'd rather have leather for comfort and less wear and tear on my pistols. I've ordered from Kevin at K&D before (Pocket Defender). They make excellent holsters that are priced extremely well especially considering the quality that they deliver.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I have tried several different holsters and I have to say, the MTAC is the most comfortable. Doesn't seem right, but it is. Plus, with the kydex, it makes reholstering much easier.
    +1! My son bought an M Tac for his Beretta and Exactly's above comment is on the money. I ordered a very similar model from Cross-Breed for my Steyr and am stupid anxious to get it. I will certainly admit that the folks here that strap on a Milt or Mitch or Alessi or Brommeland all say, in chorus, nothing else comes close. Nothing.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Here is my opinion:

Quality takes time to make. Quality therefore costs money. However, a lot of people instantly think "Wow, that holster looks really well made" and "I bet they put a lot of time in to making that."

If it is expensive and there is a long wait, it must mean that they are popular because they are of high quality and are comfortable. Right?

Well, not always in my experience. I have tried holsters from nearly all the big names and some of the small names as well. Holsters are like shoes; not everyone like the same features as the next person.

Personally, I am yet to find a holster more adjustable or more comfortable than the MTAC. I don't see myself trying many more IWB holsters. The MTAC is comfortable, high quality and the turn around times are amazing. Thanks to Comp-Tac for showing us that there really is still good customer service out there!

Honda will never cut into the sales of Porsche, and the MTAC will never cut into the sales of Sparks, Del Fatti, Alessi, etc. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that their customers are after different things.

The Honda is cheaper and faster to get (usually) than the Porsche, but there is no comparison between the two. Same thing with kydex vs leather. IMO.

The high end makers mentioned above have nothing to worry about from the kydex guys. They each have their own fan base.

By the way, could some of you guys please start buying the kydex stuff. Maybe we could get my wait times down a bit?

Kydex was never for me. Custom leather is just so much sexier than kydex. I think that custom leather guys need to watch out if they are not making an adjustable custom IWB holster. IMO, the K&D IWB Defender series is at the top of the food chain for all the reasons out there like quality, accesibility without a crazy lead time, plus it has the features of the MTAC without the bulk.

Cant has always been different for me depending on the gun and the day. Why not buy an adjustable holster that can adapt to these nuances and eliminate accumulating holsters? Oops, I forgot that I like to rummage through the holster box every now and then.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

It's only been 3 days and so far we've had lots of great responses!!

Another line from a member which I enjoyed very much. Also has an interesting point of view; "Honda will never cut into the sales of Porsche, and the MTAC will never cut into the sales of Sparks, Del Fatti, Alessi, etc. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that their customers are after different things.".

Going back to my question, "Do leather holster makers need to worry?” At this point, I think it's pretty obvious that the answer is NO.

With everything said in this thread so far, I think its safe to say that when it comes to functionality and comfort, the kydex's family of holsters like MTAC, Crossbreed or Comp-Tac are just as good as the family of fine leather holsters like Milt Sparks, Alessi, or Bulman. Our choice in holsters are really based on the individual's personality, style and preference. Do we agree?

Then you have folks who just love holsters and would try them all! I fall in this category.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 16th, 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: qkshooter removed all dead picture icons.

Not to derail the thread but isn't it kind of silly to talk about the beauty of a fine leather IWB holster? Nobody sees it tucked into your pants anyway.

OWB I could understand, but IWB????

It is also slightly amusing, this opinion that somehow the "leather holster" crowd is a cut above the "kydex" crowd. Porsches and Hondas???? Please. Putting a Glock into a $150 piece of leather is like a tuxedo on a pig. Now a Wilson Combat .45? Now you're talking.

Back to the previously programmed thread....................

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Putting a Glock into a $150 piece of leather is like a tuxedo on a pig.
    Hehehe!

I like my hogs dressed well!

And The Winner Is!!!.............

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    In short, no.

Kydex, or plastic if you will, attracts a different caliber of carrier than someone who is willing to wait for a true handmade leather holster. I have found that cops, always underpaid and trying to stretch a dollar, first time carriers and younger people used to "instant gratification" seem to be the one's that use plastic holsters.

I realize I'm speaking in generalities, but someone that is really concerned about concealed carry, and takes pride in owning a fine product, like a high end motorcycle, car or nice home is willing to wait for a superior product.

The Kydex Holsters are popular at the Range, and I even own a couple, but for day to day carry I find leather to be optimal because it is more comfortable against my skin. I've used plastic holsters to, "get me by" until I can receive a good holster from Milt Sparks, Matt Del Fatti and others, but I don't rely on them exclusively.

With the number of concealed carriers in the population today we have seen the wait times for handmade holsters either get longer or the makers have stopped taking orders in order to catch up to their backlog. Thus kydex fills a "niche" much like a leather or nylon holster from Bianchi or Galco, at least for me.

Once you find a good Holster you won't go to anything else. I've been carrying so long that I pretty much know what works for me. So I usually only have one or two Holsters per gun. The "pre-made" manufactured stuff is good to give you an idea of what you want in a Holster, but I can't see paying for a Kydex Holster when a handmade leather one isn't that much more. I'm referring to a good Kydex Holster and not the $12 Paddle Holsters I see on the Gun Store shelves.

The mark of a professional is someone that you can't tell they are armed. This is most likely achieved with a good quality leather holster. Yes, it's costly, to a degree, but the makers have, for the most part, been making holsters long enough that they know what works and what doesn't.

Matt Del Fatti asked my about my inseam, height, build and what gun I want to carry before I ordered. This is not something you can get from Galco or Bianchi on their off the shelf stuff. I never had Comp-Tac ask me those type of questions either. Milt Sparks asked some questions very similar the first time I ordered from them, to ensure that I would get a holster that would be optimal for me.

I have not found the Kydex Holsters to be comfortable for daily carry. Also, those Belt Clips are a dead give-away to what you are hiding, much more than a leather snap loop, at least in my expirience.

So, the long-winded answer to your question is, maybe, but I doubt it. Plastic attracts a different caliber of person than a handmade custom holster.

Biker
    .....BikerRN!

I feel he came up with the best answer on the topic of MTAC's (Kydex) vs Fine Leather holsters. If you haven't had the chance to read his post, I quoted it here - Check it out!

Congratulations! I will ship your Kramer holster! Thanks for participating. And many thanks to all who took the time to respond. Although the question was a little silly, we got some great responses!
    Last edited by TwinCarry; July 16th, 2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Plastic, come on!! I ordered a supertuck until this arrived, needless to say it has been in the drawer every since.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links