TT Gunleather

This is a discussion on TT Gunleather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Browsing through his gallery over there, and his boning detail is looking sweet. Guessing I am going to submit an order for one of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TT Gunleather

TT Gunleather

Browsing through his gallery over there, and his boning detail is looking sweet.

Guessing I am going to submit an order for one of the OWB Pancakes he has.

Anyone have any opinions on that particular one?

2. Remove Ads

I would say that all of his stuff has been top notch for me. I have a pancake and an IWB and they are excellent quality.

I have his IWB's and the fit is very good. Tim makes nice leather. Just got my order which took 2 months. Can't day much about the OWB but I am sure it is on par with his IWB products.

I'm afraid you'll find many loyal Sparks customers who are insulted by his blatant copies of Tony Kanaly's work and have said so in the past. Tony has addressed this issue on several forums.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Isn't everybody copying his work at this point though? I don't know how many VMII clones I've seen from just about every up-and-coming (or at least newer than Tony) holster maker.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

He does excellent work. I've got a post on here with a picture of my OWB holster, mag/light holder and a beltman belt. Love all of them. Tim is great to work with. Here, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...most-here.html

As far as it being "identical" to the Axiom, the snaps and the way it wraps the belt is different. And the mag holder is (was after more people order) a one of a kind that he and I developed over the phone.

CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm afraid you'll find many loyal Sparks customers who are insulted by his blatant copies of Tony Kanaly's work and have said so in the past. Tony has addressed this issue on several forums.
    I don't even own a Sparks holster and I think the blatant rip-off is insulting. Sure, everyone is going to "borrow" ideas from each other (there's just a limit to how many things you can do with a holster), but when I saw TT's copy of Tony's work it reminded me of something the Chinese would do.

Check out his version of the VM2...identical.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

TT's IWB may be pretty close in design to the VM2 but how many makers make a Askins style scabbard? It seems like many holster makers use similar designs and I don't think TT's leather can be compared to Chinese rip offs. I am a fan/owner of both TT and Sparks and I will not take sides as they both make great leather.

I'm with AZ Husker and Wagglebee. While most holsters are the makers version of a well established pattern, this guy just imitates the Sparks line w/out credit. He won't be getting my money.

It is very rare that I disagree with AZ Husker (in fact I think this is the first). I think most everyone in the holster industry copies the successful designs to one degree or another. If I were going to place a blame here, I would have to put it on the Sparks company for not legally protecting their design. The simple fact is Sparks cannot keep up with demand. Thus, other companies are going to fill that void. That is a much needed part of the free market. Until Sparks can step up and say that they can fill every order in a timely manner, I really don't think they can argue that TT Leather is costing them anything. And, if Sparks ever gets to the point that they can keep up with the demand, that just means that they were bought out by GALCO. I have holsters and mag pouches form both companies. Quality is pretty much the same except in one area. TTs mag pouches are superior to those from Sparks in my opinion.

ranburr

Quote Originally Posted by eljuez View Post
    I'm with AZ Husker and Wagglebee. While most holsters are the makers version of a well established pattern, this guy just imitates the Sparks line w/out credit. He won't be getting my money.
    As I said earlier, it's natural to "borrow" ideas, there's a limit to "new" holster ideas. However, a blatant knock of is too much when no credit is given.

John Ralston (I don't own any of his holsters, but everything I've seen indicates that they are top notch) at 5 Shot Leather (5 Shot Leather, LLC - Home 5shotleather) openly credits guys like Alessi, Del Fatti and Bulman -- that's CLASS and that also means that these guys will be willing to help him out and refer people to him. I have no doubt that there's more than enough business to go around, but it's still a bad idea to get on the wrong side of the most respected names in the business.

Just outta curiosity, since someone mentioned Tony's name in this thread, has MS or anyone else contacted TT about all this and received a response?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Say what you will, but if you look at the two holsters (Tim's and MS's) side by side, I think you WILL see there is at least a small difference.

Whether you think that's material or not is up to you, but I could honestly care less.

There are numerous copies of the VMII out there, some are blatant while others are not. I think Tim's work is top notch no matter which of those pigeon holes you put it in.

As of right now, Tim gets my money because he puts out an unbelievably awesome product at a good price in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Check out his version of the VM2...identical.
    I'd say close, very close but not identical in "feel".

My TT was nicely made, relatively inexpensive and fast shipping to me.

The fit was not MS VMII level, its a lil loose from the get go. The leather at that time, was softer than the VMII. I understand that Tim uses H Oak leather, better than before.

Damn if there's not much difference in price, what $20? I'm not that impatient.

TT is a great holster, Tim is a stand up guy. Imitation is a form of flattery-I guess...

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links