Frustrated with lack of 1911 pocket holsters.

This is a discussion on Frustrated with lack of 1911 pocket holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a decent way to carry a 3in 1911 in my front right pocket. I have tried different things and with ...

Thread: Frustrated with lack of 1911 pocket holsters.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar

Frustrated with lack of 1911 pocket holsters.

I have been looking for a decent way to carry a 3in 1911 in my front right pocket. I have tried different things and with 1911 the holster ends up being so much thicker that gives it away anyway. I have carried in the pocket but the cloth of the pocket is usually thin even in jeans. So I went to Wally World into the crafts section and started thinking. DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON, SAILOR HAVING IDEAS, EXTREME DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

1. Do you remember those denim patches you iron on holes in jeans, about 4 x 5in, buy a bunch of those.

2. Turn the pants inside out, keep track which pocket is the right pocket it can get confusing when the pants are inside out.

At this point you see both sides of the cloth pocket flopping around outside of the pants. The pants material, the outside of the pocket against the pants material, and the inside of the pocket against your thigh.

3. Iron the pocket until it is flat and hot.

4. Iron the patches onto the pocket material. This may require trimming, but the main concern is that the patch covers where you gun sits in the pocket.

5. Repeat step 4 on the other side of the pocket.

6. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

At this point the pocket is about the consistency of thin leather. Try the pants on and put your gun in your pocket. The pocket opens up as you insert your gun, and falls flat as you remove it. You can add more layers to the side of the pocket against you pants if you are still printing.

If your gun is so small that it is flopping around (not a problem with a 1911) turn the pants inside out with the gun still in the pocket. Lay the pants flat with the gun pocket up. Break out some thread and a needle. (The outside part of the pocket needs to stay flat against the table to block printing.) Mold the inside part of the pocket (The part against your thigh)around the barrel and trigger and sew it a little loose so the gun can slide in place and back out. (If you make the cloth too tight against the gun it will cause problems drawing and holstering.)

Since the holster is the pocket there are no issues with having to push the holster down as you draw. Also the muscle memory for holstering and drawing in that pocket were set by the time you were 10. Since the pocket material is now fairly rigid the cloth will not bunch up around the gun, if for some reason it still does just add more patches. As soon as the gun is in the top of the pocket it is in the holster instead of having to align the gun with a holster inside the pocket. The patches are made to go through the wash after ironing them on so washing is the same as usual.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

2. Remove Ads

That's a great idea!!!!

How bout some pic's???

I have the pictures but apparently they are too big, I will post as soon as I figure this one out.

Thanks for the help Southbound, here are the pictures I just took

100_0308.JPG

100_0309.JPG

100_0310.JPG

This is the 1911 in the pocket.

100_0311.JPG

Most people will never notice.

100_0312.JPG

here are some Jeans I patched.

Looks really good...

Keep it up.......

That IS a cool idea. I imagine it could be used with most any other type of handgun. I might have to try that!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Nice job!

Gotta say though, 30 oz or so of 1911 in my pocket just doesn't sound comfortable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Nice job!

Gotta say though, 30 oz or so of 1911 in my pocket just doesn't sound comfortable to me.
    I wasn't going to bring that up but it appears tha some people have bigger pants pockets than I do. My P3AT is about as big as I want to go for a pocket gun.

Not to take away from your ingenuity, but did you look at the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster? I have several of these for different firearms and they work great. It is listed as available for the Kimber Ultra Carry and the Para P10 (both 3" 1911 style guns).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I think its a great idea to stiffen up the pockets even if you use a pocket holster,but I gotta agree a metal frame 1911 is a lotta weight in a pocket
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Not to take away from your ingenuity, but did you look at the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster? I have several of these for different firearms and they work great. It is listed as available for the Kimber Ultra Carry and the Para P10 (both 3" 1911 style guns).

Hoss
    I'd second that. I have a Nemesis that I use for my Kimber Ultra and my Detective Special. I don't use it very often, because I prefer to carry either of those in a belt holster. When I need to pocket carry, though, the Nemesis works very well.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I carry it all day and it doesnt bother me. The 2 spare 8rd Wilson Combat mags on the other side balance it out pretty well.

I saw the Desanti Nemisis online, I was hoping to get a look at one first hand at the last gun show, but they didn't have one that I saw. I am actually thinking about stifening the pockets on the left side as well, just because it is easier to find stuff in the pocket afterwards.

Links