Workable Holster Design?

This is a discussion on Workable Holster Design? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Opinions?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workable Holster Design?

Administrator

Question Workable Holster Design?

Opinions?

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    QK,

Does the gun come in contact with or snag on the magazine carrier during the draw? What about the retention strap?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Not for concealed carry, but for the ocassional carry it has it's place.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    It would add weight to that area on the belt. That could be significant in the case of the .45 ACP or Glocks with high capacity magazines.

It would make concealing the rig more difficult.

It appears, as has been mentioned, that the height of the mag carrier would cause the gun to come into contact with it. At best it would change the way you would normally draw the gun.

All -in-all, I do not think it is a workable design. But that is the way things are improved.

Jerry

Administrator

I Honestly Don't Know

So Far......Interesting Worthwhile Thoughts.

I came across the photo on the web.
    It's an odd design that some "on line leather worker" has designed for carry.
    Just wondering if anybody thought it was practical?
    I'm also wondering if a heavy "full weight" firearm would pull in tight enough & what forum member opinions were on the attached spare mag holder in that exact location.
    All Opinions Still Welcome. Chime in.
    It's not my holster design so you won't hurt my feelings no matter what your particular opinion is.
    To me the actual construction work looks like (for sure) it could have been cut out better....but, is the basic design sound & practical?
    I have no idea.
    I'm just interested in feedback.
    I wonder if Brommeland or Larsen have ever "played around" with any design like it.
    Last edited by QKShooter; November 12th, 2005 at 12:53 PM.

Administrator

I Was Thinking

That if the holster fit the firearm well enough so that no holster retention strap was needed that it might be OK.

Me personally...I would not like a holster with the retention strap snap that close to the spare mag location.

Maybe???????? with a non retention strap holster and a tighter fitting magazine holder ALSO with no retention strap it might be a cooler design.

Also: What exact location (or O-Clock) on the gun belt would you wear it?

Assistant Administrator
    Interesting QK - and looking at belt slots it does have maybe 20 of cant which is good. That would help negate the mag carrier interference but I wonder too if the design could not allow mag carrier to be significantly lower.

Personally if I used that for carry I'd want no retension strap or retension vover over mag, and again as said - mag pocket lower. It could work - but main crit' otherwise might be - don't really want any spare mag strong side that way - unless in a sho rig when of course weak hand can grab.

Dunno tho - maybe with no restraining flap and that generous cant - weak hand could make a useful grab. hard to be sure without trying it.

I think it's an idea with some potential but needs tweaked and probably not a huge market demand I'd suspect.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've never encountered a design that puts the holster and magazine carrier together that I liked at all.

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I don't like the holster and mag combo holster at all. Too much bulk and weight in 1 location for me.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    IMO, its gonna put ALOT of weight on one spot. For desert/hiking kinda carry it would be ok......but I want my spare mags on my weak side when Carrying Concealed. I want my strong hand to be hitting the mag release while my weak one is getting my spare.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

That sort of design has been done before. I think the original versions I saw may have been a circa '70 DeSantis design for revolvers that someone tried to translate into pistol carry. The DeSantis design was kinda neat because revovler shooters at that time were taught to change the weapon to their off side hand and load with their strong hand (actually, I still do it that way ).
    Consequently, the ammo was carried on the strong hand side of their belt. That is not the case with a pistol. Since the wearer would be trying to acquire the mag with his off side hand and the holster looks like it's meant to be carried behind the point of the strong side hip, reaching it would be a real problem. That's especially true of anyone who has suffered arm length shrinkage due to beer consumption .

The holster pictured seems to be of pretty good construction but I think it could use some design improvements. If a person wanted a holster/mag combination like that, I think deleting the mag carrier flap and lowering the mag carrier bottom down to as near level with the muzzle as possible would minimize front sight hangups when the pistol is drawn. If a third belt loop isn't on the holster pictured, it should be added since the span between the two slots will probably allow the holster to sag out.

If someone wanted to carry that way or experiment with it, you can just tread your strong side holster on your belt first followed by your single mag carrier. That would place them in the same relative position and take up about the same space but still allow you to regulate the distance between the two depending on your taste.

The biggest problem I see is that it is so incredibly fugly.

However that could be an asset because as you draw, the bad guy might see it and piss himself laughing at the tumor holster.

Administrator

Thanks Folks

Great comments Matt & Eric.

I actually did see a Really Nice Western Carved 1911 pistol holster (years ago) that had two integral molded mag holders located - One Below and one alongside (in front of) the main molded part of the holster body. It's hard to explain.

The big difference was that it was an Open Carry "Camp & Wilderness Trek" type Holster...and not intended for any sort of concealment.
    It was a beautiful piece of custom tooled antique leather work though...and I'm sorry now that I didn't buy it...just to own it.

Mernickle makes a few models like this if you really want one. It's a answer looking for a problem IMO.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6mr1.html

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I havent heard or seen "Fugly" for a while.........Roflmao

Matt........."That's especially true of anyone who has suffered arm length shrinkage due to beer consumption" Love it........ :chairshot

Shoot well...............
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links