Ladies of DC carry methods - Page 2

Ladies of DC carry methods

This is a discussion on Ladies of DC carry methods within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MrsFosforos David at DMBullardLeather.com customized an IWB for my Colt Defender. The cant is angled toward a cross draw and the belt ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladies of DC carry methods

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    David at DMBullardLeather.com customized an IWB for my Colt Defender. The cant is angled toward a cross draw and the belt clip makes the gun sit a little lower on the belt so the grip of the gun lies almost parallel and just behind the belt instead of sitting on top of it. I carry at appendix. The cross draw cant allows the grip to sit almost parallel to the top of my belt and keeps from poking me in my ribs and the slight transverse slant of the muzzle keeps it from poking me in the groin when I sit down.

It conceals well and is not uncomfortable to carry. It's perfect.
    We are going to be in Denton next month. It might be worth our time to go by his shop and talk to him.

I want to add a plug for smartcarry. I use it a lot, but I don't wear it as traditionally described. I use it up closer to the waist band of my pants so the grip is also just below my belt line and it's easy to get to. I don't have to dig down into my pants to reach it. It's perfect for a lot of reason, it conceals well under heavy fabrics like jeans and lightweight fabrics like sweats. It stays where you put it and that means a lot when you're going to the bathroom. There isn't any concern the gun will fall out when you drop your pants, because it is secured around your waist! For people who don't want to use belts w/holsters this is the ticket.
    I assume you are still wearing it in the front lower abdomen area though. My wife says her pooch would bother her at that position. I may get mine out again and experiment on her.

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV99 View Post
    I assume you are still wearing it in the front lower abdomen area though. My wife says her pooch would bother her at that position. I may get mine out again and experiment on her.

Thanks

Mike
    It rides more like a fanny pack. The grip is about level with my belly button. I wear it so the band is up around my waistline instead of my lower abdomen or hips. The holster part sits on top of my belly instead of under it.

Thanks. I will ask her to try the smartcarry tomorrow.

I showed her you email. I am not sure we are interpreting your IWB correctly. To simulate how the holster works: you put the gun in the right side waist band at about 1 pm with the barrel straight down the leg and the grip facing left toward the middle. Then rotate the grip away from the middle of the body until the bottom of the grip is close to parallel.

Does it look something like this, but as an IWB rather than OWB?

Thanks.

Mike

This was the concept picture I sent him. The first image is directly from his website. I asked if he could the position where the belt clip was attached. By rotating the holster slightly it changed the cant to more of a cross draw angle. It also lowered the position of the grips so it sits lower behind the belt - instead of ontop of the belt line.

This is the end product - the grip sits right behind my belt. the muzzle lies at a slight angle instead of straight down. This helps keep the grip out of my ribs and the muzzle out of the bend in my leg when I sit down.

The part of the grip resting on top of the belt normally sits behind my belt, I untucked it to show where it was in relation to the belt.

Sorry I'm no help to the OP, but for you MikeV99, and your wife's issues, I am not a Grandmother but I am the mother of 4, and have all the weight gain to prove it. I use a smartcarry, and love it. I DO NOT use it in the traditional way, I wear mine like MrsFosforos does up around the top of my waistband, but the pocket is at about 2:30 - 3. The grip tilts in, but because my hips are larger than that place on my waist, the gun does not dig, and the shirts I wear(tshirts mostly) tend to "wrinkle" a bit in that area anyway so no worry of printing... I live in a very windy area, so babydoll shirts, and other floaty fabrics do not work as they tend to float too much ;) If you have a smartcarry - even if it isn't sized for her, see if she'll try it.

Good luck to the OP! Hope she quickly finds something that works!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Still Looking

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    By rotating the holster slightly it changed the cant to more of a cross draw angle. It also lowered the position of the grips so it sits lower behind the belt - instead of ontop of the belt line.
    Thank you for the info. We have not had a chance to go visit with Bullard leather.

I have been talking (phone and email) with Rusty Sherrick about building her something similar to your holster, but as an OWB. If I understand Rusty's design, it is similar to a crossdraw but a strong side frontal (appendix carry). It would be worn in front of the strong side hip, with a rearward cant. He says this, like the crossdraw, is more comfortable and easier to draw for many women than the traditional hip holster.

If I understand his design, it would be the same as yours except it would be OWB. My wife thinks that in many cases, her pants are a bit too tight at the waist for an IWB. Of course, her T-Shirt would need to be long enough to cover the holster.

What would be your thoughts Rusty's design.

Thanks

Mike

2AMomma,

Pardon me for my dumb question ....

When you discuss the modified location for wearing the smartcarry, I assume you are still talking about wearing it under your pants or shorts? My wife is concerned that the waist band on her shorts are rather tight and would not comfortably fit over anything.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

It sounds like a great idea in design. OWB is definately more comfortable all the way around.

MOST OF THE TIME, the waist band on women's pants sits higher on our bodies than the waist band on men's pants (unless she specifically wears a lower rider pants). That might be why he's suggesting the crossdraw cant too, it changes the angle of the grip to make reaching the grip in a more natural position for women.

As an example - I used one of my husband's guns and holsters recently at the range and was practicing drawing from the belt. I had it positioned between 2:30 & 3:00 o'clock. The gun grip was so HIGH, I had to "chicken wing" it to get it out of the holster. My Bullard holster has the position of the clip dropped lower than a man would carry so the gun sits in a comfortable drawing position for me.

One of the fit tests should include drawing from a sitting position. I can get to any of my guns - using a smartcarry, a true crossdraw holster or at appendix, EASILY when standing; but it's a different story when sitting down.

Considering the amount of time we spend in cars, it has to pass the "sit test" too. If she can simulate practicing drawing from sitting in a chair and in a car with a seatbelt on-- that would be a good indication if she can get to it if she needs to. Positioning it in front of her hip like you described sounds like it would (as long as the seatbelt didn't get in the way).

Most of all, I like that you found a holster maker who is working with you to REALLY customize a holster to fit a woman's body!

Try a Smartcarry...seriously. I'll bet she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV99 View Post
    2AMomma,

Pardon me for my dumb question ....

When you discuss the modified location for wearing the smartcarry, I assume you are still talking about wearing it under your pants or shorts? My wife is concerned that the waist band on her shorts are rather tight and would not comfortably fit over anything.

Thanks

Mike
    I had to start having the waistband of my pants tailored 1" larger than before (I carry IWB).
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links