Glock 23 CCW holster and laser sights

This is a discussion on Glock 23 CCW holster and laser sights within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I am new to this site, and I am looking for some information and ideas about a Glock 23 .40 S&W handgun. I ...

Hi All,
    I am new to this site, and I am looking for some information and ideas about a Glock 23 .40 S&W handgun.

I am looking at taking my CCW class and I like I said I have a G23. I am looking for information on holsters. Just some info on me, I am a bigger guy who will probably be wearing on my back. I am not sure about a regular draw or cross draw on my back. I am in Utah, which can get hot, which is a consideration. I wear a lot of t-shirts and don't tuck them in. I also wear shorts a lot unless at work, which is in a no CCW area, so I can't carry at work, gun will stay in vehicle. Looking for something reliable and durable.

Also, in the realm of CCW, I am looking at getting laser sights. I am looking at getting:
    Crimson Trace
    LG-619
    G-Series
    Fits Models: GLOCK 19, 23, 25, 32, 38
    Cost $229.

This says it will not interfere with holstering the weapon but I want to make sure.

Also wondering if anyone has experience on installing and using the Crimson Trace brand on a Glock, and if it is reliable, and if it will interefer with holstering the weapon. Also if it is worth the cost.

Pretty much anything dealing with these topics or anything else is my question. Thanks for your time, help, input, and information!

Welcome to the forum! Say---I got a sense of deja vu here. Did you become a member of any other forum today???? This sounds eerily familiar to me. I'll pin you down soon.

Nope

Nope, in fact I just learned about this site.

For my G23 I have a Milt Sparks VMII, a Comp-Tac MTAC, and a Kramer Horsehide MSP Paddle Holster.(Also some special use ones Comp-Tac 2'Oclock, SmartCarry, and Comp-Tac Belt/Paddle adjustable cant holster, galco ankle glove and last but not least a Kangaroo Carry)

Both the IWB above would server you well without a doubt, along with a quality belt, which brings us to the Beltman at Gun Belts by The Belt Man.

I've tried the Crimson previously, wasn't for me, seem more of a hindrance when it came to racking the slide in an emergency jam situation.

The internal lasers I've never tried, only to avoid replacing internals to my SD firearm.

Also I just ordered up a Snap on Pancake holster for T.T. Leather Group
    He has been getting decent reviews lately with reasonable wait times.

Which do you prefer?

Isaac, of the holsters labeled, which do you prefer? Also, as far as laser grips, any better choices in your opinion? Even worth the money?
    Thanks

VMII, I use the MTAC for when I am doing yard work and the such, its more utilitarian, rest of the time it is in the Sparks.

I use the OWB out in the woods and on the range.

try the don hume 721 ot..works real nice for bigger guys...I wear around 3:30 4:00 o'clock position
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

So many good holsters to pick from. For OWB I like a good high ride leather or the Blackhawk Serpa. IWB I like Crossbreed or an MTAC. I had a Lasermax installed on my 23 and now have a Lasermax on my 27. I like the idea of having the laser internal - I don't know that one is functionally or quality better than another.

The G23 has been my EDC for quite awhile now, great platform!

1. "I am a bigger guy who will probably be wearing on my back".....?
    I'm unsure what you mean here.....the small of your back (SOB)? I don't carry SOB because, for me, it's tactically a bad place......you might end up on your back in a fight, it's a pain in the back while sitting, driving, etc.(pun intended), and it's in a place you can't see but somebody behind you can.

A cross-draw holster is a good choice in specific situations but it has limitations....great place to wear your side arm if most of your day is spent in a chair, at a desk, driving, etc......otherwise it becomes harder to conceal and you'd have to come accross your body to draw. I personally don't like it unless I'm driving.

I'm a big fan of IWB carry for concealment. I have Com-Tac's MTAC and CTAC holsters that I wear just behind my strong-side hip (3:30-4:30). The G23 dissappears. The MTAC, especially in the warmer months, gets the most use with me.

OWB is the most comfortable but if concealment is a concern for you make suer you get a 'higher riding' holster to minimize how much of you EDC is exposed while moving about.

2. I have the Crimson Trace LG-619 on one of my G23's for over a year now. It's a great sighting tool and I've had no issues with regard to holster fit and holstering in general, and it's been in all of my holsters at one point or another. It shouldn't be a problem at all.
    My disclaimer: any laser sight is a tool but should not replace your sights. Good, sound skill devolopment aquired through practice can not be replaced by something extra (i.e.- added on) that may fail in a high-stress situation. Sight placement and point shooting can always be relied upon and becoming dependent on a laser will become a 'crutch' and your skills will suffer. Use the laser, but don't abandon quality, repeated practice without the CT.

As for installing the CT, it's very easy and takes almost two minutes to complete.

I paid about $220 for my CT new, I don't regret the purchase at all......I love the CT and it gets use from me. Having said that, I won't spend that much money on another one. $220 can be put to other uses, like another gun, ammo, etc. Maybe many moons from now I'll want another one, but it's just that, a want, not a need.

3. Finally let me say.....Welcome Aboard! Any questions, ask...... anytime. This is a great fourm with a great group of people! Glad you came along!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

+1 on the MTAC.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I carry my G23 with a CT laser in either a Laredo Defender from K&D Holsters, at about 4:30 on the hip, or in a Monarch shoulder rig from Andrews Custom Leather.

Lot's of opinions here on the laser sights, I'll just say I will NOT give mine up.

The Laredo Defender conceals very well, and it holds the Glock with the laser grip, no problem. It is an outside-the-waistband holster that snaps on, so you can remove the holster if need be, without removing your belt.

But when I needed the shoulder rig, I had to send my laser grip to Andrews so he could make a variation on his standard holster for me. Now that he has done so, he should be able to produce a Monarch shoulder rig for several different Glock models with a CT laser.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I have been carrying a G23 ( 2nd gen) for 12 years now and have tried a lot of holsters. By far the best I have used is the Bianchi Carryloc. You will need the series 92 for your G23. This is a retention holster, but doesn't slow draw speed whatsoever. I myself can't wear a IWB just not comfortable. If you need any more info just PM me.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

For a good starter holster IWB, try a Don Hume PCCH in leather. For Kydex, try a Blade-Tech. These are both good starter options that won't break the bank.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links