Fist #18 paddle holster?

This is a discussion on Fist #18 paddle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have one of these rigs? If so how close does it hold the gun to your body? Its looks on their website ...

Thread: Fist #18 paddle holster?

Fist #18 paddle holster?

Does anyone here have one of these rigs? If so how close does it hold the gun to your body? Its looks on their website like it holds the gun pretty tight to the body. If anyone here has one of these rigs how do you like it or fist holsters in general?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Does anyone here have one of these rigs? If so how close does it hold the gun to your body? Its looks on their website like it holds the gun pretty tight to the body. If anyone here has one of these rigs how do you like it or fist holsters in general?
    Fist is one of the most underrated holster makers going, in my opinion. Quality work, very good fit, functional designs that are effective, without a lot of embellishments that could double or triple the price.

I've got several Fist holsters, including the #18 paddle. Just received it a couple weeks ago.

Click here for a recent review I did on the new #18.

Some folks have several of them, here on DC. Check retsupt99's prior posts, including this one: click.

So far, I like it a lot. It's extremely comfortable, much more so than my IWB option. It's essentially an OWB with the easy-on/off feature of the paddle, instead of the belt slide or snap loops.

Paddles, in generally, aren't know for holding the gun tightly and closely. If you absolutely require that, then you need to consider IWB instead. IMO, this has to do with the nature of the twist that occurs when the butt of a gun is attempted to get shoved into your body. Without the resistance offered by the belt in an IWB situation, the OWB or paddle style simply twists out of the way and allows the butt to ride out.

Imagine an IWB that tightly presses the butt of the gun to your body, worn at 4 o'clock (for righties, or 8 o-clock for lefties). Even with a t-shirt, it can be darned near invisible, butt-wise. But with a paddle, that same position can result in quite a bit of printing, by comparison. Worn at 3 o-clock, though, under a larger shirt, light jacket or sport coat, it can be nearly invisible. Though the choices of clothing/position are fewer, the increase in utility and comfort is what you get. If open carry is your thing, then I think it's a fine choice.

Your choice, on the mix. Paddles provide that basic mix. Of the few paddles that I've worn, this Fist #18 Murnak paddle is definitely the most comfortable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Fist is one of the most underrated holster makers going, in my opinion. Quality work, very good fit, functional designs that are effective, without a lot of embellishments that could double or triple the price.
    I don't have the #18 but I do have 4 other FIST holsters. I'm in full agreement with the above quoted comment regarding FIST quality and fit. Also, a very reasonable 5 week turnaround seems to be standard for these holsters.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I find that paddle holsters that are high ride do not hold the gun as close as a lower ride holster. It appears that the Fist #18 is high ride and I would not expect it to stay as close to the body as one which rides lower, such as the Comp-Tac paddle.

I have never used the Fist #18.

I agree that no paddle holster will ride as close as an OWB pancake or a good IWB.

I also find that in a day of wear the paddle tends to become uncomfortable. They are very convenient and I do use them probably more than other holsters.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links