Defensive Carry banner

Sig 228 carry dilemmas

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jwhite75 
#1 ·
Let me start by getting the ego out of the way... I am not a small guy... I am 6'2 240.

I have tried a few different holsters and as of yet I have not found one that solves my issues. No, its not comfort its printing.

I have tried both an MTAC IWB as well as a custom holster made by K&D IWB (maverick Defender)... and a Galco OWB.

I have gone from SOB and worked my way around to the 2:30 position.

Not sure if I wear my jeans to low, or what else it could be. I am getting a stiffer belt from K&D but to be honest I don't have issues with it flopping, its just the grip printing against my polo shirts.

Where to go from here?

Try tuckking?
Cross Draw (so the grip flows forward rather than backwards)?

I am open to suggestions noting the wife is getting fed up with holster purchases trying to "find" something.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try not wearing polo shirts, or go up a size. :yup:

Edited to add:

Your best bet with that gun is probably going to be 3 o'clock IWB with a larger Polo or different cover garment.

The only time I even wear polo shirts now is at work, and even then I have to carry a slimmer gun than normal.

Tucking will probably only make it worse, and less accessible. I generally don't carry cross draw, but I tend to think that the grips is going to be printing big time at the front of your polo shirt.

#3 ·
When you carry a gun you tend to dress around the gun, not dress and then put the gun on.

Once you decide to carry, your wardrobe changes as well to help you get the gun concealed. I now like wearing undershirts. They tend to help with the comfort issue for IWB. Then throw on something a little more baggy.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice -

I will try a few things but I can't bring myself to wear the Don Ho shirts... I think I would rather be shot than have my wife laugh at me... (edit: she just read this and said no... I won't be wearing those)

Cool months aren't an issue but the 8 months of summer here in Florida I need to have a good action plan.

#6 ·
People that carry all the time have a general preffered method of carry( and you should stick to that mode);however, sometimes the situation just has to have something else. I always carry in a IWB holster however, if I'm walking the dog in netted shorts that may not be an option, therefor I have a tummy pouch or fanny pack to throw on.

I may have to totally revamp my carry style based on Doctors orders in few months what is going on with my leg is actually occuring.

I had a condition as a kid that affects mostly boys. Its where your femur bone slides out of the socket.

Two solutions if they catch it early you can be put in a bed for 6 months and hopefully it will reset if the Doctor Id's the problem early. Or you can shatter it sliding into third base in the championship game only to have it rebuilt with 5 inch titanium screws. Thank you very much Military Doctors. Unfortunatly you can figure out which path I went down. My hip is now becoming extremly agitated, falls asleep, goes numb constantly and my left leg has turned out. Therefore I'm probably going to have to rethink this whole carry thing in a few months again. And decide to train myself now as a Right handed shooter or move to aa shoulder rig or off body carry (neither which I'm happy with due to the limtations, safetie issues, and lack of access. Anyway the whole point is carrying is a life style and you have to adapt and change your lifestlye, clothing, and training regiment.

#9 ·
I carry a P228 in an OWB Galco holster on a Galco belt as my primary carry. No problems. It isn't the flopping that is the issue, but if you look at the Galco or any gun belt it is canted to the top which holds the gun in tighter. Also I wear my polos one size up when necessary. I'm about your size but probably bigger in the middle right now.

#10 ·
I am firmly convinced that they are cutting jeans differently than they were say 25 years ago. I used to wear 36x36 Levi's 505's. One hundred pounds later depending on whose jeans I buy I am wearing anywhere from a 36 inseam down to as short as a 32! I am wearing relaxed fit jeans now:embarassed:, but the longer inseam, worn a little higher makes all of my pistols vanish at about 7:30 (left handed) IWB or OWB even under just an untucked T-shirt. With the baggy shirt thing going during the summer here in Texas I can also move the holster around to 9:00 with no problem.

#12 ·
I am roughly your size, 6'1.5", 215lbs. I carry my Sig 229 in an Andrews Mac Daniell II holster just in front of my right hip. I have a decent amount of cant on the holster to hide the gun. It conceals very very well with just a t-shirt on.

Stick to dark colored or patterned shirts, they really break up the outline of a gun. And make sure the shirt isn't too tight.

3:00 or anything behind my hip prints for me because I don't have much of a butt. We're all built differently.

#13 ·
* Please be gentle with the fat jokes ;) *

I don't know how much this will help, but I carry an HK P30 (not exactly a small gun) in an MTAC every day. I'm 5'10ish and 220# at 3:00/3:30 I hardly notice the gun.

Notice I'm not wearing a Don Ho, and am able to move around without showing off my firearm.

I work in a "No weapons at work" office, and in two months of carrying, nobody has noticed.

Part of that is likely because while you're aware of the butt of your gun sticking out slightly. People who don't carry guns, when they see a small bulge when you bend over poking through your shirt don't immediately think "Oh he's got a gun."

#14 ·
I am 6'3" and 270. I happen to have and occasionally carry my p228. I agree with JD...try a larger size shirt. you also might try a different cut of pants and/or jeans. Try a tall length shirt with a longer tail that hangs looser and longer too. We are pretty much built the same w/ BOB (Big Ol Boy Disease) not necessarily fat...just a big dude. I carry mine in a Mitch Rosen Premier at about the 330 position. I am thinking about getting an IWB for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.