Options for Deep Carry and Specific Applications

This is a discussion on Options for Deep Carry and Specific Applications within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've finally found a couple of carry systems that work great for specific, limited purposes in my life. First, I've tried for quite awhile ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for Deep Carry and Specific Applications

Options for Deep Carry and Specific Applications

Well, I've finally found a couple of carry systems that work great for specific, limited purposes in my life.

First, I've tried for quite awhile to find a carry system that works well for the limited purpose of just having a decent-power gun on me all day without having to constantly take it on and off. I'm talking about a deep-concealment, BUG. As an analogy, I wanted a way to carry that was as constant, and unnoticeable by me as carrying my wallet, which meant I'd put it on at the beginning of the day, keep it there all day, not feel it there all day, and not have my pocket capacity diminished by it all day. For this system (not generally), reasonably quick access was desired but not a premium concern, since my purpose was to just have it on me, and since I'm usually carrying a primary weapon in an IWB anyway. Also, it had to carry enough gun, and I won't argue what that is, but my primary carry guns are various forms of 1911s in .45 ACP, so I want my BUG to be a form of 1911 .45 ACP too.

I have carried concealed handguns for many years, and I suppose I've tried as many different options and configurations as the next guy. My most common carry methods are pocket holster and IWB, tuckable and not. Thankfully, I'm large enough to have carried a holstered P220, and currently can carry a Lightweight Commander that way, as long as the pockets are deep enough, without it being obvious. Carrying in my pocket is great, except it leaves me with one less pocket to carry my other, non-defensive-junk in. Also, I suffered from that malady common to many and which some refer to as "The Gone Ass", meaning that on a sunny day, and with the sun in front of me, an observer can likely see my belt buckle from the back, and even a little weight can tend to drag my trou downward.

Now, of course, there's the ankle holster. In Central Alabama, it is warm enough to wear shorts almost all year, and so that's not a constant option. Frankly, I have yet to find one that doesn't get visible when I sit or slop around anyway, so frankly, the only use I still have for one is when I'm asleep in a hotel room.

So, then you have the belly bands. Personally, they either print, or they are uncomfortable - If I put them anywhere but at appendix, they print. If I put them at appendix, they are uncomfortable. No, I'm not fat, but I just continue to raise my eyebrow when even the most svelte, hard-bodied operator type tells me that he can stuff even an officer's model in at appendix and not have it mash something somewhere! Bottom line is that I can do it if I gotta, but I am always aware of its presence because it is, to me, uncomfortable.

So, then you have the Thunderwear type stuff, and that has never been even reasonably comfortable for me - at the very least, I have had to "adjust" myself like some jock football player every time I sat down, and in the end, I moved the Thunderwear up so that it went around the top of my abdomen to make it more comfortable, but then had to keep pulling it back up all day.

Well, I have found something that works - for me at least - I can carry a small-framed 1911 in .45 ACP with two extra mags in a manner that is completely concealed, very positive (no slop), and unnoticeable to me - even without an undershirt under it. The rig is shown in the first attached photo.

This is basically an elastic, Velcro-closure, belly band but with suspender straps so that the belt is worn up under the armpits instead of at waist level. The weapon is in muzzle-down orientation, and there are slots for two mags under the other armpit. I have found that carrying a decent-sized pistol that way is almost like having a wallet - I put it on in the morning, it stays there all day, I don't feel it there all day, it doesn't take up room in my pockets I need for other things, it doesn't print, and it doesn't move, and so my daily activities don't have to be altered in any way. In fact, like my wallet, it give me no reason to even notice that it's there.

The system has a couple of drawbacks that I've found, but these are in once case fixable and in another something I can live with.

The fixable problem is that the straps which hold the belt up are crossed in the back and then attach to the belt in the front so that the straps connect to the belt only an inch or two on either side of one's sternum. As a result, the straps cross over the shoulder fairly close to one's neck, and if he's wearing an open-collar shirt with the top button unbuttoned, the straps can be seen. I cured this very simply by sewing the receiver-half of Velcro strips on the belt much farther out - if one is facing to 12 o'clock, my straps now attach at about 10 and 2 o'clock. This brings the straps out just far enough to be hidden under the shoulder of my shirts, but the new attachment points are not far enough around to interfere with my access to the weapon.

The second problem is one that I can live with, and that is that there is no way to draw quickly from this rig. For best concealment, the pistol should be WAY back - completely under the underarm, and the pistol is in muzzle-down orientation instead of butt-forward. But again, for me, that's okay because speed of draw is not my primary concern. My main goal with this deep concealment system is simply to make sure that I have a reasonably powerful gun ON MY BODY. I'll have another, primary carry weapon IWB as often as possible for quick access.

Currently, I am carrying a long-time friend, an old blued-steel K9 Kahr in the holster. It is doing interim duty between the Springfield Micro I recently sold and the new Combat Master which is en-route.

The second thing I wanted was something that would allow me to carry a powerful handgun, backup mags, wallet, flashlight, cell phone and an I-Pod when I go running or walking. Before, the only thing that had worked was a fanny pack, and the darn thing used to whack up and down as I ran. The second photo shows a until I have been using that carries all this just as well, and in the same way (quick-rip pistol access), as a fanny pack, but without the up and down movement inherent with a fanny pack.

So, for these limited uses, these work great for me, so I thought I'd pass 'em along.

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BigJon; November 15th, 2005 at 03:56 PM.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

Interesting -- thanks for the photos. Your carry method looks like it puts the handgun in about the same spot that the undershirt holster from Kramer leather does (I haven't ever used one, I'm just judging by the photo).
    Is your "jogging" unit made by Blackhawk? I seem to remember someone had a front chest carry arrangement. I thought about using that under a motorcycle jacket at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    Interesting -- thanks for the photos. Your carry method looks like it puts the handgun in about the same spot that the undershirt holster from Kramer leather does (I haven't ever used one, I'm just judging by the photo).
    Is your "jogging" unit made by Blackhawk? I seem to remember someone had a front chest carry arrangement. I thought about using that under a motorcycle jacket at one time.
    Heck, I don't know who actually makes it, David. I bought it on-line at the sight mentioned above.

Best,
    Jon

Human ingenuity will never cease to amaze me... That's actually not a bad idea. I've considered the chest holster from Survival Sheath Systems myself.

Assistant Administrator
    Jon - I got a belly band ("Defender" was it - forget) and found that no good the way it was intended. I have tho thought of trying to hike it up as chest band - this could be much better. I wish tho the darned thing was ''flesh'' color and not black!!

My deepest concealment option is the SmartCarry - I use it very little but thankfully it is rare these days that my OWB and vest or shirt cover does not do the trick, even for full size. The SmartCarry is of course meaning slow access but - thing is it is there and I can adapt.

Other than summer, ankle is an option for me - R9 is good in my ProTec Outdoors light weight rig or if pants baggy enough an Ankle Pocket.

Final option which works OK for BUG or primary if I am limited is outer patch pocket on some Cabellas pants of mine - R9 sits there well in a pocket rig.

Overall I am just glad as all get out that most days my carry is able to be full size OWB - my fave method from choice.

Thx for your exhaustive description.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris,

If I remember correctly from previous posts, you carry a Sig. Correct? What kind of OWB holster do you use? I'm trying to find one for my Para P-12.45. I'm using a Watch Six most of the time for IWB carry, but it's getting cool enough down here that I will start wearing jeans and a light jacket.

Gary was supposed to get back to me as to whether one of his rigs would fit the Para. I have two of his Max Con V's for my G27 and 1911 GI. They work great!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - 226. That resides in Kevin's (K&D) beautiful belt slide OWB Eagle Defender rig - here is pic from side. As many know, IWB just ain't my bag.

My P12.45 BTW, which I may soon be trading for a SIG 228 - has a small rig that suits it, but for a lefty - it is a simple belt slide Don Hume #53 5" IIRC and actually is quite adequate, tho muzzle sticks out of course.

Chris - P95

OD*
    Looks like a copy of the Kangaroo.

http://gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Nice holster Chris. Hard to tell from the pics I've seen of it, does it have a sweat/body shield on the far side? I know it's not as important in an owb but I'm constantly being rubbed in the "flubber" but the inside of my guns. I'm sitting here wearing my M66 in a Don Hume J.I.T., the cylinder release and even the hammer spur rub a bit if I move just right (or wrong).

Jon:
    Nice concept for deep concealment. Curious though, with the sweat and heat of underarm carry, is there some sort of barrier between your ribs and the gun? How secure does a 1911 sit in that sort of rig? Carrying C&L I'd personally want rock steady weapon position and, if possible, a positive thumb safety engagement. My little paranoid phobia.

One of the guys (I believe on the Sig Forum) came up with the idea of using velcro to attach an Uncle Mike's nylon holster between the support straps of a lumbar/back brace. It seemed to work really well for him and was relatively inexpensive as well.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Human ingenuity will never cease to amaze me... That's actually not a bad idea. I've considered the chest holster from Survival Sheath Systems myself.
    I'll check out the Survival Sheath - never heard of it. Is it more of a vest-with-integral-holster affair? The only reason I didn't opt (have never even tried) one of those was that I wanted to get the least bulky thing I could find.

Update on the white holster pictured above - yep, you will need an undershirt under it. I could do without if I have to, but it does tend to get a bit abrasive - pretty sharp, heavy material. Rough on the skin after awhile.

Best,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Looks like a copy of the Kangaroo.

http://gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm
    Yep, it sure does - and the Kangaroo photo on the link seems to show the straps connecting where mine now connect after sewing on the new Velcro attachements, and so I'd bet that it will not show the straps over the shoulders as bad as the one I have did before I modified it.

Best,
    Jon

Assistant Administrator
    does it have a sweat/body shield on the far side?
    No Jack - it doesn't. And it is not something I feel I need, despite sweating in gallon quantities in summer !! LOL.

The rig has coped very well with sweat and of course being OWB gets no direct wetting. Only thing I found this summer was, certain small aelements on the 226 are not stainless and so corrode.

I had to watch and keep smeared with CLP - the decock and slidelock levers, and, the rear sight. All easily showed corrosion beginning from sweaty humidity due to body proximity.

One of my many dislikes for IWB is the sweat factor!!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Yep - 226. That resides in Kevin's (K&D) beautiful belt slide OWB Eagle Defender rig - here is pic from side. As many know, IWB just ain't my bag.

My P12.45 BTW, which I may soon be trading for a SIG 228 - has a small rig that suits it, but for a lefty - it is a simple belt slide Don Hume #53 5" IIRC and actually is quite adequate, tho muzzle sticks out of course.

What do you to cover that with in the Summer???

Assistant Administrator
    Cat - summer cover is (when out only) my Smith and Alexander vest - a lightweight denim vest which is good for length and is ideal for cover when biking too - just have to keep one button done up for that.

The vest has four pockets - one small inner which is good for paper cash - one is top breast - good for my pipe baccy!. The two others are left and right bottom ones. Left one usually carries cell and right has NAA mini in it - which also by virtue of its weight helps keep vest from blowing back too easily.

This has now for two years been an ideal carry garment - in fact our biking friends never knew I carried (full size) until late this summer when I got the wife (Sue, as referred to in posts a while ago) into carry and the whole matter was discussed. They expressed total disbelief that I had been always carrying!!
    Chris - P95

Hello. I'm new here. Just found this forum this evening. I also have one of these shoulder holster rigs. I too was having a problem with the straps being too close to my neck. I'll have to get some velcro and alter them as you suggest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links