Carry position with Sport Coat?

This is a discussion on Carry position with Sport Coat? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I'm wearing casual, untucked shirts that conceal my Glock 22 but if I need to go formal I'm worried about what option to take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry position with Sport Coat?

Normally I'm wearing casual, untucked shirts that conceal my Glock 22 but if I need to go formal I'm worried about what option to take (tucked in dress shirt with casual or formal sport coat).

I have a Comp-tac IWB infidel holster.

I'm not fond of tucking the shirt in over the holster, and if I try to carry between 4:00-6:00 I've got printing issues from the butt (the gun, not me).

What do you guys do in this situation? I should add that I will be in public view and center of focus (standing in front of a group, in a meeting situation) so not printing is paramount here.

I'm close to giving up and just using the P3AT pocket carry for formal attire.

A Glock 22 is a good size gun. Maybe scaling down to a 27. I also utilize a Kel-Tec PF9 for these type of dress situations.

VIP Member
    PF-9 for me too in these situtations.

I don't want to carry SOB (as I understand it, this is 6 o'clock). I was hoping a 4-5 o'clock would work, but it places the gun at an angle where the handle prints too easily. I'm not well rounded enough to keep the handle snug against my body at this location.

Shoulder holster if you don't take the jacket off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What type of hardware are you using on the Infidel? I know they offer hardware that is adjustable. Carrying at 4:00 with a decent cant printing should be minimal, but in a vertical position most guns will print bigtime. I carry my 1911 under a sport coat often at a 45 degree cant (I think), and it is pretty much invisible.

However, as others have noted, that 22 is a big un.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    Normally I'm wearing casual, untucked shirts that conceal my Glock 22 but if I need to go formal I'm worried about what option to take (tucked in dress shirt with casual or formal sport coat).

I have a Comp-tac IWB infidel holster.

I'm not fond of tucking the shirt in over the holster, and if I try to carry between 4:00-6:00 I've got printing issues from the butt (the gun, not me).
    Everyone's body is different but you may want to talk to your tailor about that. I've never had that problem, but I've been fitted for my suits and sport coats wearing my gun - it's an XD45 Service and I either wear it IWB or OWB at about 4 o'clock.

What do you guys do in this situation? I should add that I will be in public view and center of focus (standing in front of a group, in a meeting situation) so not printing is paramount here.
    Once you accept that it's no different than walking through the mall you'll get over it. I deal with this all the time. It's not that obvious... don't over think this...

I'm close to giving up and just using the P3AT pocket carry for formal attire.
    Any gun is better than no gun.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have no trouble with my P229 which is a double stack .40S&W with an MTAC at 4 O'clock. If I know I'm not taking my coat off I sometimes use a carry-loc with my GSR 1911 4" or the P229. I love carry loc holsters for OWB and the MTAC for IWB. I tuck the shirt over the MTAC just in case my coat moves. The key to handling the butt of the gun is position. You need to play with it a little and look in the mirror. If using the IWB try using different settings on the j-clips. I have 5 settings and use the middle ones. To cant it use different settings on each side. Also adjust where your pants ride, you want the butt to dif into your love handles just a bit. It's actually right over my kidney.

I gave several presentations at school (Colorado based college) and no comments or looks. It's legal in Colorado, but could result in expulsion or reprimand. Don't over adjust, or focus on the firearm. It's just like your billfold or watch.

My infidel has the single belt clamp. Maybe I should consider an MTAC for carry back there. The infidel with my clamp doesn't allow for changing the cant.

The infidel is a joy at 3:30 so I'm not complaining about the holster.

For the occasions I must wear a suit, I might leave the Kimber in the COM safe in the car, and take the P-3AT in a kydex pocket holster. This eliminates a problem if the coat comes off. This is a rare event.

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    My infidel has the single belt clamp. Maybe I should consider an MTAC for carry back there. The infidel with my clamp doesn't allow for changing the cant.

The infidel is a joy at 3:30 so I'm not complaining about the holster.
    If I were you I would try the C-Tac strut on the Infidel, just $10. But I don't know, maybe you want to buy a new holster
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Have you tried 3:00? I carried at 4 for about 8 months because most holsters are made to be carried at the 4-5 position. With a holster that has a straight(ish) drop to it and less cant, guns disappear. Cant is great when you need it because the gun is behind your hip, but at 3 or so it's not required. The thickness of your torso makes the grip conceal very well. Worth a shot.

I had to attend a wedding a couple weeks ago. I went with my j-frame and appendix carry. Never fully unbuttoned my jacket (a three button front) and had no problem at all.
    Jack

I prefer to wear a sport coat / suit jacket when I carry.

(1) It's the ultimate cover garment. The stiffness of the fabric doesn't conform to your every contour so printing is very minimal.

(2) It leaves a good impression. If people notice your piece they are less likely to react negatively than if you are dressed poorly. You'll also get more smiles from the opposite sex

(3) It frees you from mouse guns. When you wear a jacket you can wear a full size anything in any kind of holster. No need to pocket carry that little NAA when (thanks to the sport coat) the G22 just disappears at 4:30 with any IWB or OWB. And more firepower is better peace of mind.

Sport coats aren't for all situations, of course. In some small towns you'd stand out like a sore thumb and attract negative attention if you wear one. But, if you live in the city and your work doesn't involve getting dirty then the sport coat is a great option.

Carry at the 3:30 / 4: 30 position and nobody will ever see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links