Catch This Guys Finger

This is a discussion on Catch This Guys Finger within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Darned nice looking work. I like the shark and elephant accent on some of the designs. I am betting that those leathers would be almost ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catch This Guys Finger

DC Founder
    Darned nice looking work. I like the shark and elephant accent on some of the designs. I am betting that those leathers would be almost impervious to sweat in a hot or humid environment....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Is there any extra care/upkeep involved with the exotic skins? Seems I recall snakeskin boots need periodic treatment to keep the scales from flaking, curious if the holsters would need the same.

What's the most exotic skin you leather gurus have used (or seen used)?
    Jack

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    You have to have extra peanuts for the elephant boots and a mouse for the snake skin boots......just in case :outtahere
    Shoot well...........
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    You have to have extra peanuts for the elephant boots and a mouse for the snake skin boots......just in case :outtahere
    Shoot well...........

Thanks for the idea Eric, next time I fall down I'll say "I'm not clumsy, my belt's just grazing!"
    Jack

OKShooter,
    Thanks for the plug!
    McClean3,
    Some exotics are more for show, like snakeskin, which does require some care and I wouldn't recommend it for a daily hard-use holster. Others, like shark, elephant, and stingray, are maintenece free and more durable and scuff resistent than standard leathers.

Most exotic leather? Probably still and always will be alligator or crocodile, and most expensive$$$$. Now most unusual? Probably African bullfrog or beaver-tail; no kidding.
    I know the jokes will start now.....

Administrator

Addition: The toughest to work with

The toughest to work with would probably be Stingray Skin with those Hard Nodules that will stop bullets as well as stitching needles.
    Bullfrog skin is BEAUTIFUL & bumpy!

Beaver tail.......hummmmmmmm???
    Absolutely, Some special protective care & precautions might be required for that.
    It pretty much depends on the nature of the tail...I think.

Sharkskin is tough & neatly beautiful.

Elephant is super tough leather. I love it.

My wife HATES ostrich leather. The pimples give her goose bumps.
    That ostrich leg or knee leather is amazing looking too! Really nice.

Of course it all boils down to how talented the "leather artist" is who is doing the actual holster construction.
    Mark (and our other forum makers) obviously have no problems (at all) in that regard.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I agree on a more serious note......Ive sewn crocodile, shark and stingray.....all were easy except the stingray BROKE a 328S stitcher needle! I learned not to follow my stitching lines to a T" and just kinda let the pc. walk a little bit.
    Shark is the most popular Ive got and is very very abrasion resistant.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Actually that is the newest Calif. approved safety... a 47lb trigger pull. Comming soon to a anti gunner near you.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity
    Most exotic leather? Probably still and always will be alligator or crocodile, and most expensive$$$$. Now most unusual? Probably African bullfrog or beaver-tail; no kidding.
    I know the jokes will start now.....
    First, Welcome to the forum (I noticed it was your 2nd post!).

Now........ Beaver tail I can understand, not hard if you've ever handled one, but BULLFROG? I guess you have to do something with all those crippled frogs after you eat the legs!
    Last edited by rstickle; November 18th, 2005 at 10:36 PM.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

This Forum

This forum certainly is accumulating its fair share of ultra high quality holster makers.
    It warms my heart!

Forum members just cannot go wrong in buying a rig from any of our CombatCarry Top Makers.

Hopefully, new forum members & new shooters will read the forum threads in the "Forum Gunleather Area" & wisely realize EARLY ON that for proper concealed carry you just CANNOT skimp on your carry holster and Gun Belt.

Please don't cut corners on your daily carry holster AND belt.

You will only ever get as good as you can get...as a defensive shooter...as your "Tools" will allow you to get.
    That's a fact.

Forum members SURE CAN save themselves a whole bunch of money BY NOT buying piles of basically worthless cheapo~crappy holsters that are not suitable for the best daily carry.
    Choose the best FIRST & grow into it.

It all just depends (I guess) on how serious a person is about going properly concealed - with firearm securely, safely, holstered, hidden & protected, & being comfortable AND being able to present their firearm in a lightning fast & efficiently repeatable manner.

Call me a self~proclaimed conceited spokesperson for high quality gun leather...if you want to.
    I sure am that.
    You absolutely NEED to have total confidence in your carry system.

I am sold on good, quality leather over Kydex or any synthetic for daily carry holsters.

Yes, I have tried mucho Kydex mostly just out of curiousity.

I have been carrying daily "hours upon hours" every single day.
    Top Quality Leather IS the way to go.

Kydex people...get mad at me if you want to. I'll never change my mind. That will be my personal opinion forever.

I'll still like you...should you choose Kydex over leather but, my personal opinion will always be that you are doing yourself a disservice by not going with the best constructed leather.

Leather has been worn (on body) and has been faithfully serving mankind perfectly for eons before recorded history.
    It is a treasured gift to MAN.

There is nothing better for holsters.

Kydex for Knife sheaths???...maybe...for holsters...LEATHER.

JT
    I hope he has some Kevlar boots on, because he is about to shoot his foot.

Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    This forum certainly is accumulating its fair share of ultra high quality holster makers.
    It warms my heart!

Forum members just cannot go wrong in buying a rig from any of our CombatCarry Top Makers.

Hopefully, new forum members & new shooters will read the forum threads in the "Forum Gunleather Area" & wisely realize EARLY ON that for proper concealed carry you just CANNOT skimp on your carry holster and Gun Belt.

Please don't cut corners on your daily carry holster AND belt.

You will only ever get as good as you can get...as a defensive shooter...as your "Tools" will allow you to get.
    That's a fact.

Forum members SURE CAN save themselves a whole bunch of money BY NOT buying piles of basically worthless cheapo~crappy holsters that are not suitable for the best daily carry.
    Choose the best FIRST & grow into it.

It all just depends (I guess) on how serious a person is about going properly concealed - with firearm securely, safely, holstered, hidden & protected, & being comfortable AND being able to present their firearm in a lightning fast & efficiently repeatable manner.

Call me a self~proclaimed conceited spokesperson for high quality gun leather...if you want to.
    I sure am that.
    You absolutely NEED to have total confidence in your carry system.

I am sold on good, quality leather over Kydex or any synthetic for daily carry holsters.

Yes, I have tried mucho Kydex mostly just out of curiousity.

I have been carrying daily "hours upon hours" every single day.
    Top Quality Leather IS the way to go.

Kydex people...get mad at me if you want to. I'll never change my mind. That will be my personal opinion forever.

I'll still like you...should you choose Kydex over leather but, my personal opinion will always be that you are doing yourself a disservice by not going with the best constructed leather.

Leather has been worn (on body) and has been faithfully serving mankind perfectly for eons before recorded history.
    It is a treasured gift to MAN.

There is nothing better for holsters.

Kydex for Knife sheaths???...maybe...for holsters...LEATHER.

QKShooter,

Man, I'm startin' to like you! :) (BTW, Sombebody wanna tell me how to use these smilies - I can't get 'em to work.)

Assistant Administrator
    Gary - if you use the ''advanced'' reply window, then if you select a smilie from those on right - it will be inserted at the end of your text at that point. There is also an option for getting more smilies - bringing up another small window with many many of em!

Otherwise tho you can memorize some of the codes that bring em up - eg, ;biggrin; if inserted with colons instead of semi colons should give
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Like this?

Assistant Administrator
    You got it!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links