CTAC Holster Position Question

This is a discussion on CTAC Holster Position Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield XD40 that I use for carry in a CTAC holster (the Kydex one with very little leather). It conceals well at ...

Thread: CTAC Holster Position Question

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I have a Springfield XD40 that I use for carry in a CTAC holster (the Kydex one with very little leather). It conceals well at about five o'clock but as I build my skill set, attempting to draw the gun, my arm has to contort to a very uncomfortable position. I want to do this 2,500 times (to build a habit) before I carry regularly but I think I may wind up with a busted ligament!

Which way should the butt of the grip be facing if I am right-handed? Any other suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Some who carry at this position for right hand draw use a right-hand holster with normal positive cant so the palm of the hand faces inward when drawing, others use a left-hand holster with negative cant to facilitate a palm-out draw.

If you have been using a right-hand holster, you could remove the holster and try drawing the unloaded pistol with the palm-out method from the waistband just to see if it feels any better before buying a left-hand holster.

I wear my CTAC with a G23 anywhere from 3:30 to 5 o'clock position. I just use 'higher' notches on the forward belt clip and the lower notch on the rear clip to faciliate a forward cant (grip of the sidearm 'pointing' up at a 30-45 degree angle) while holstered. It's an easy draw for me and I've practiced it for almost two years now.

If that's not working for you just continue 'playing' with the clips, trying diffrent angles......maybe even switching the leather tabs around......til you find a 'setting' that feels good and helps your drawing.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Some who carry at this position for right hand draw use a right-hand holster with normal positive cant so the palm of the hand faces inward when drawing, others use a left-hand holster with negative cant to facilitate a palm-out draw.
    What is a "positive" and "negative" cant?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carry my 1911 in my C-TAC. I've it canted bottom hole on front, top hole on back - on the new clips. The position depends on activities and dress.

In an un-tucked tee shirt, it goes at 2:30 or 3:00. When I tuck in something, it goes 3:00 or 3:30. In an open front cover item, it goes at 4:00 and I dislike it.

I used to be a fan of later than 3:00, but I've realized that I like it better a bit earlier.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    What is a "positive" and "negative" cant?
    Here's what I meant. Imagine a pistol holstered on the side of the person carrying it. Barrel vertical is neutral cant, barrel angled to point to rear of vertical is "normal positive cant", barrel angled to point front of vertical is "negative cant".

Which way should the butt of the grip be facing if I am right-handed? Any other suggestions?
    Bearing in mind that I am a relative ccw noob, everything I read says always keep your palm facing the body. If the grip was facing the other way [as in a right hander wearing a left handed holster] at some point the weapon is going to rotate towards you...which could be disastrous if high stress caused you to let one go before point of aim was acquired or the attacker was able to reach you and your arm first. It seems unnatural, but this is why you see small-of-the-back holsters are always grip up.

Warmon -

I have a Springfield XD40 that I use for carry in a CTAC holster (the Kydex one with very little leather). It conceals well at about five o'clock but as I build my skill set, attempting to draw the gun, my arm has to contort to a very uncomfortable position. I want to do this 2,500 times (to build a habit) before I carry regularly but I think I may wind up with a busted ligament!

Frankly I'd consider a 3-4 Oclock position if I were you. At 5 Oclock I'd almost need to be double jointed to draw with palm turned inward. I consider anything near SOB to be a very poor carry position. That's just me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Bearing in mind that I am a relative ccw noob, everything I read says always keep your palm facing the body. If the grip was facing the other way [as in a right hander wearing a left handed holster] at some point the weapon is going to rotate towards you...which could be disastrous if high stress caused you to let one go before point of aim was acquired
    This was another of my concerns- I kept "lasering" myself everytime I would draw. Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    At 5 Oclock I'd almost need to be double jointed to draw with palm turned inward.
    I'm glad to hear you say this. I was starting to feel like the only one who struggled with this position before I began this thread!

I heard that if you drew palm side out, you would muzzle sweep yourself. Depends on howyou are sitting/standing.

me
    Right Handed at 5:00 should look similar to this.

M&P40 CTAC at 4:30

I have my front hook on the bottom (I have 4 with 1 3/4 belt loops) with it touching the front of the sight track and the back one is on the top then ran a belt through them to make sure they pass well then try it on.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me
    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    I heard that if you drew palm side out, you would muzzle sweep yourself. Depends on howyou are sitting/standing.
    You will, this is why if you are right handed you should carry in a right hand holster (if you are going to right hand draw), whether this is cross draw or whether it is straight draw. THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD HAVE TO DRAW PALM OUT IS IF YOUR STRONG HAND IS DISABLED IN A FIGHT BEFORE YOU CAN GET TO YOUR GUN.

Other wise if you need to draw right handed buy a Right handed holster, If you need to draw left buy a left handed holster. Dont use a right side holster to draw left handed on a normal basis.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Sponsored Links