Summer carry Vs. Winter carry

This is a discussion on Summer carry Vs. Winter carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have seen on many posts that some of you guys reference a Summer carry or a Winter carry. Being new to the legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer carry Vs. Winter carry

Summer carry Vs. Winter carry

OK, I have seen on many posts that some of you guys reference a Summer carry or a Winter carry.

Being new to the legal CCW carry life, we won't go in to my HS years in the hood, I have 1 question.

What's the difference, other than to simply have more hardware?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Some will carry smaller guns in the summer that are easier to carry in just a T-shirt with no other cover garment.

During winter months, with cover garments being more comfortable to keep on throughout the day, some will carry larger guns as they can be kept hidden more easily.

And yes, using it as an excuse for more guns is also valid.

For example, some may carry a G22 or 23 during the winter, but switch to a G27 during the summer.

OK, makes sense. I guess the Sigma .40 I carried to work today, left it in the car as I am not CHL yet, would be a bit more comfortable if it were a bit smaller and I didn't have to wear this friggin long sleeve shirt in Texas in July, even though it will only be 96 today.

Guess when I go get my first Mossberg at lunch today I might have to check out the pistol counter
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I used to carry a P226/9mm....until it got stolen...

Then I got a P229/.40....carried for years in all weather and such.

I got a P239/.40 that I now use as my summer carry (for the same reasons JD listed). Once it gets cooler, I'll go back to my P229.

I did replace the P226/9mm with the same in .40, but had already grown accustomed to my P229.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I carry the same weapon and gear year 'round. Sometimes in the winter I'll switch from an IWB holster to an OWB holster but that's about it!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I can't wait for winter so I can start carrying OWB. Much more comfortable; plus I'm a hooded sweatshirt kinda guy!

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    I can't wait for winter so I can start carrying OWB. Much more comfortable; plus I'm a hooded sweatshirt kinda guy!
    With a pistol, do I need to refer you to the discussions we had about profiling

Kidding of course.

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    winter means new holster
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I used to carry larger hanguns in the winter and smaller ones in the summer. But with the right holster it doesn't matter. I can conceal my Glock 19 in a Maxcon V or an MTAC with just a t shirt. And not an oversized t-shirt either, but one that actually fits.

Sometimes I switch to OWB in the winter, but lately I've been using my IWBs no matter what the weather conditions are like.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I got my permission slip on 6 Feb. It was mild that day, but I have carried my 1911 Gov't in cold weather and now that it is hot, the only difference is that I find myself scrubbing the red off of it more often.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

3" 1911 in my pocket in hot weather when a minimum of clothing is desired. 4,25" Bobtailed Commander 1911 IWB when a cover garment is feasible.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I think most of the reasons have already been discussed. I prefer the Glock 23c or 19 in the winter and the Glock 26 is the summer.

I prefer OWB carry all the time, but will carry IWB on the smaller Glock 26.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

There is definatly a concealment issue with summer wear. Light knit shirts do not cover well. Smaller guns are easier to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    There is definatly a concealment issue with summer wear. Light knit shirts do not cover well. Smaller guns are easier to hide.
    I am starting to learn that as I carry, where I can without my CHL, my S&W Sigma. Even with my IWB holster I am seeing that my thinner shirts show printing more since they ride up a little and don't fall back (from a bending to standing position).

-Paco

Most people (in changable climates) change their dress habits in summer and winter seasons. I find that carrying my 9mm during the summer here in NY becomes heavy and burdensome. Also, if I dress very lightly, it's almost impossible to conceal, so I save the 9mm for winter carry when more clothing makes the carry more comfortable.

During the warm months I carry my LCP, which can fit in a pocket, weighs only 12 oz fully loaded, and very comfortable to carry.

Hope that answers your question.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links