Place to carry on bike

Place to carry on bike

This is a discussion on Place to carry on bike within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i also happen to have this change bag from walmart my lcp slips in and slips in my pocket...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Place to carry on bike

i also happen to have this change bag from walmart my lcp slips in and slips in my pocket
    Attached Images
    TOMMY

I've often questioned the best place to carry on my bike.

If it's in a fairly accessible location (like your mount or in a tank bag, etc.), I always have to worry about what to do with it then I climb off the bike to walk into a c-store.

Can't leave it unattended, but can't be seen transferring it to my pocket.

I keep it in a fanny pack in my tank bag, so I can just grab it when I walk inside. 2 problems, though. One, it's not very accessible inside a fanny pack that is also inside a tank bag, and two, the astute bystander can probably guess what's inside the fanny pack when I grab it each time I get off the bike.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

jgp
    An LCP or the like is small enough to fit in the pocket of your riding jacket (which no doubt you wear for your own safety no matter how hot it is, right?). Have you practiced drawing and firing with your gloves on? Neither have I, yet.

This is the one situation in which the LCP or P3AT looks good to me. My Bersa T380 is a tight fit in the pocket. I'm not sure I could unzip and wrestle it out any faster than I could unzip my jacket and grab the G19 or PPS IWB 3 o'clock.

All my jackets have an inside pocket that could hold a clip type holster, but I haven't tried that. That might be easier to get at in a hurry.

Ok, let me preface this by acknowledging that I have a minor holster fetish, just ask my wife.

Now that said, when I used to commute with my motorcycle I used a tankbag exclusively for my carry option on the bike but for whatever reason I ended up concerned about whether, god forbid, I may become separated from the bike and consequently without a firearm. Bad mojo.

My solution was to acquire a holster from SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters

You can pick from a butt up or butt down option. And unless you are wearing a jacket the wind will most definitely give you away. I personally chose a butt down option since it allowed me less distance to acquire a full firing grip. I can carry the Glock 30 with no problems what so ever. Quick draw, two handed reholster. One hand holds the holster and re-insert. Viola!

I found this to be the best option for me, YMMV.

my lcp is small enough to just grab in my hand i have huge hands and slip into my pocket if i get off my bike no issues so far it could be my cell phone who knows
    TOMMY

I carry IWB, sometimes my jacket may lift up a little and a cager may get a glimps of something silver.

I figure if I have to draw I'm most likely off the bike anyway. If there is a problem while I'm still on the bike I'd be gone in the blink of an eye.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Wear IWB on my bike. I always wear my XR leather jacket after a 50 mph slide that took about 2 lbs. of my left butt cheek off, but was wearing my jacket thank God. Have since purchased Draggin Jeans to save my butt in hide in case of another accident (Darn Cagers!!).
    Last edited by Scott; July 13th, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: language workaround
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I don't know why we seem to need to put our weapons on our bikes. What is the problem with keeping it on one's belt just like normal?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

We were talking about this here...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-holster.html

I like my tank bag that doubles as a backpack, but Agave makes a good point. Why not just wear it where you normally wear it?

My answer would be 'alternatives are nice to have' !
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

How about something like a DeSantis "E-Z Rider"?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I do not carry in a bag...too hard to get to for one and potential left unsecured for two. But I do carry in my inside the vest pocket (like a coat pocket)...for at least the last 12 months...with no issues. Had the pocket sewn in to fit the weapon. Come rain or shine...always wear the vest.

And I have an X...

Rick

M2
    I carry my XD45 Service when I ride by using an Uncle Mike's vertical holster rig, it fits under my leathers and is about as accessible as any concealed weapon can be. I don't have to worry about it when I get off the bike, but the down side is that I cannot take my jacket off when I stop. I tend to wear a black t-shirt under my leathers so I can at least unzip the jacket without easily exposing the rig.

Cheers! M2

I carry my PF9 IWB with a vest, or i put it in the inside left pocket. I also have an X.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've pocket carried on occasion (obviously limits the weapon of choice, though larger for a jacket pocket, then you need to keep the jacket on). I've carried two Glocks in a Galco Miami Classic double shoulder rig, concealed by nothing more than a leather vest. Had chains to let the vest breath a bit more. I carried that way for a couple of Summers.

Trouble I see with IWB (my normal mode of carry) is either the cover garment blowing or riding up, or lack of security in case of an accident.

Planning to buy a vest with a concealed holster in the near future.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

jgp
    Last Friday afternoon I was making a left turn on a green arrow when my front tire found a patch of gravel that my eyes didn't. I was on the deck in the blink of an eye. I came down on the left, and my G19 in IWB MTAC stayed in place at 3:00. I have often thought that maybe a retention holster wouldn't be such a bad idea while riding.

There were people all around me checking on me, helping me pick up the bike and all, and I didn't notice until a few minutes later than my jacket had pulled up over the butt of the pistol when I hit the ground, but my shirt was still hiding it (I think). No one said anything, so I can only assume I wasn't made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links