Wilderness Instructor Belt - 3 stitch or 5?

This is a discussion on Wilderness Instructor Belt - 3 stitch or 5? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered an Instructor belt yesterday with the 5 stitch option for an extra $5. Is this necessary? Am I going to wish I had ...

Thread: Wilderness Instructor Belt - 3 stitch or 5?

I ordered an Instructor belt yesterday with the 5 stitch option for an extra $5. Is this necessary? Am I going to wish I had gotten the 3 stitch? I ask because I believe I still have a few days before the order is shipped and I am pretty sure I can still call them and change it.

The belt is 1 1/2" in case that matters...

Also, this is my first, and for now only gun belt. I'm losing weight pretty quickly and will be waiting for a few months before spending more money on any more belts (but I do plan on picking up a Beltman once I feel my weight has stabilized to where I am happy with it). I plan on using this for a long time to come whenever I am dressed in such a way so as to not need a 'dress' belt, so I want it to be durable for the long haul. Will the 5 stitch be more durable than the 3 stitch, or is it just stiffer?

Thank you all very much for any input you can share based on your experiences with this belt - I appreciate it!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

me
    I have a 3 stitch in my operator (i think 1 3/4). I think it is a non issue but for $5. So f you got the 5 instead of the 3 there may be a little or no performance change but it is really a non issue for $5 extra is'nt it.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have a couple of 5-stitch 1.5 inch Wilderness belts (1 OWB length, 1 IWB length). I find them plenty stiff enough. I have used them daily for over 3 years and found no sign of wear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I have a 3 stitch in my operator (i think 1 3/4). I think it is a non issue but for $5. So f you got the 5 instead of the 3 there may be a little or no performance change but it is really a non issue for $5 extra is'nt it.
    It's not a question of the extra $5, but rather of how much stiffer the 5 stitch is over the 3 stitch. Since I have no experience with either, I have no way of knowing if the 5 stitch is too stiff, or if the 3 stitch isn't stiff enough. My suspicion is that either will likely be fine, but I won't know what others experiences have shown them if I don't ask, right?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I have a couple of the 1 3/4" 5 stitch. Very happy with them. They are stiff but not as stiff as a double thickness leather belt of the same width. I find the bit of extra stiffness good for my use since my kydex IWB holster has a J-hook, so it's "depending" on the belt stiffness (hope that makes sense) to stay in place. I'm not sure whether a 3 stitch wouldn't work just fine with a Sparks or similar holster with a wide leather loop.
    But, when I ever wear one out, I'm staying with the 5-stitch. The plastic-reinforced versions are much, much stiffer - more than I would want by far, but they are intended for carrying a ton of gear on the belt.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I carry IWB with a 1.5" 5 stitch and it is plenty stable.

I didn't notice much difference between the 3 and 5 stitch. If you add the polymer insert there is a big difference. Not everyone likes them though. I got mine because of my back, and it did help.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

The 5 stitch in the 1.5 inch belt is plenty stiff for IWB or OWB holsters. Its a great belt...you're gonna love it!
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.....

Thanks y'all! (I've gotta get my "y'all"s in while I still can - I'm leaving MS for MN next Thursday!).

I'll be stickin' with the 5 stitch. Y'all made it so my sleep tonight will be just a bit easier knowing that I made the right choice.

Y'all!!!

VIP Member
    I vote for 1 1/2" 5 Stitch! I have 3 of them.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You made a good choice. I have several. Beltman is a good choice, when you something less tactical looking than the Wilderness belt. I have several from him too.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    The 5 stitch is the way to go.

Sponsored Links