G23 w/ CT laser in a Monarch rig

This is a discussion on G23 w/ CT laser in a Monarch rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been a while since I've posted. I've found that whenever I get a "new interest," I invariably wind up spending far too much time ...

It's been a while since I've posted. I've found that whenever I get a "new interest," I invariably wind up spending far too much time talking about it on the Internet, often to the point of obsession!

I've been carrying my G23 with it's CT laser in a Laredo Defender from K&D Holsters. I absolutely LOVE it. I got that from Kevin, along with a double mag carrier and one of his belts. All matching leather, it's just a shame that it's meant to be carried concealed, as it looks so good! It's also quite comfortable, and conceals well.

But I found times when a should rig, admittedly a slower draw, was an option I felt I had to have. After doing my research, mostly on this Forum, I decided on a Monarch shoulder rig from Andrews Custom Leather.

Problem was, the holster is a PERFECT fit for the G23, so perfect that it would not allow me to holster it with the CT laser attached. I decided I didn't like removing and replacing the laser grip to use one holster or the other and that having to do so started determining which holster I used, rather than which would have been the better choice of carry methods at that time.

So, I called the maker and explained the problem and said that it looked to me like a minor mod to the leather pattern would make it possible to accommodate the laser grip. He agreed that it might work, but he didn't have a CT laser to ensure a good fit.

To make it simple, I removed mine from the Glock and sent it to him. The results was a Monarch shoulder rig that fit the G23 with it's CT laser, absolutely perfectly! This means I decide which holster would be the one to use on a "tactical" basis, rather than my dislike for removing or replacing the laser grip.

Although he doesn't mention it on his web site, you should be able to get the "CT laser" modification for several different Glock models, if you should find that a Monarch shoulder holster is something you have a need for.

I can't say which holster I like better! I do use the Laredo Defender more often, but when the situation calls for a shoulder carry, the Monarch fills the bill. Two great holsters, and both made right here in my home state of Florida!

Well, that's enough from me for now, I'm going to catch up on my Forum reading and then it's off to the kitchen, my latest obsession. I'll be turning out my first loaf of sourdough bread today. . .

Later!

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Hmmmmm. . . Guess I'm the only one who thought this was interesting. . .

So far, I've been through two other holsters before I got to the one's mentioned, well, bragged about, above.

My first was a Fobus paddle holster, as it was about the only thing they had where I bought the Glock. It did hold the weapon close in tight, but half the time, a draw would bring the holster out with the Glock still in it, and the paddle pressed right on a pressure point. With the paddle-type mag carrier on one side and the Glock on the other, seems I lost access to both my back pockets! Getting a better belt did help keep the holster in place, though.

Second holster was a SERPA. I liked the retention that released during a "normal" draw without any extra movements. Just keeping the trigger finger extended along side the trigger guard put the release tab right under my finger tip. Problem with that one was that it was sort of bulky, and even when worn on the belt, it didn't pull in very tight against the body.

But now that I have both a Laredo Defender and a Monarch shoulder rig, I don't think my "holster box" is going to get any bigger.

And uh, just for the record, that sourdough bread came out pretty well.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Soon, I'm also going to be getting a shoulder holster for my G23. I had pretty much already decided on an Andrew's Monarch. Your story seals that decision. It sounds like they have great customer service. What's their turnaround time on orders like?

I don't have a laser on mine. I haven't spent any time checking them out, and even though your post tempts me to look them up...I'm going to resist in order to save money. I don't need another item on my wish list.

Tim

My sholder works fine with my CT.....it's military surplus, I have no Idea who made it.

My Laredo Defender will be here soon........I can hardly wait!

My IWB's from Comp-Tac are the best concealment holsters I've owned. I got 'em a week after I got my first G23.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    When I eventually get a shoulder rig, the Monarch is the one I'm going with.

As I recall, the delivery time on the Monarch was actually much faster than what the web site states. It seems he keeps a certain number of the rigs in stock, so when an order comes in, all he has to make is the particular holster needed.

And if you do need one for a Glock with a CT laser, he now has a pattern so that should be no problem.

Yes, Andrew's Custom Leather has fantastic customer service! Just give him a call, he's great to talk to. If you aren't sure what you need, he'll be more than happy to help. I found the same to be true of K&D as well.

As far as the CT laser goes, you'll find that opinions in this Forum run towards the extreme. People seem to either love them, or hate them, seldom anywhere in between. I happen to love them. My eye's are not in that great of shape and for me, the CT is a good tool. But, I also remove the batteries from them and get some range time without the laser. It's nice to have, but I'd rather not be 100% dependent on them.

There's more than one thread on the laser question, I'd read through them.

The Monarch is a very comfortable rig, I can wear it all day and then some. It's especially nice when the weight of the weapon is balanced by the double mag carrier on the opposite side. I like the fact that there is no loop attached to your belt. Instead, there's a cross strap that goes across your back, connection the holster to the mag carrier, so when you lean forward, neither will swing out into view.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Links