I don't get this argument anymore

This is a discussion on I don't get this argument anymore within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You don't want to carry a gun with a manual safety, but 7 out of the last 10 Glock CCW I saw at the range ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't get this argument anymore

You don't want to carry a gun with a manual safety, but 7 out of the last 10 Glock CCW I saw at the range were carrying in a Blackhawk Serpa.

I understand the need for locking a pistol in a holster, especially for those of us taking Carbine courses where we're rolling around on the ground, but for CCW, I see no difference between carrying a cocked and locked 1911 and a Glock owner carrying in a serpa type holster.

Anyone want to tell me there is a difference?

2. Remove Ads

OK...
    I'll toss you 10 of each, and you catch each of them with a stick through the trigger guard...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OK...
    I'll toss you 10 of each, and you catch each of them with a stick through the trigger guard...

Stay armed......stay safe!
    You know what happened the last time we played catch the glock with a stick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Glocks go bang whenever you pull the trigger?

:-)

but 7 out of the last 10 Glock CCW I saw at the range were carrying in a Blackhawk Serpa.
    The Serpa is a concealment rig? Interesting--I didn't know this. If you saw them, I'd say they weren't concealing at all. I view this as a P.P. post. (propaganda post) and I'd subsequently shoot holes in it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    You don't want to carry a gun with a manual safety, but 7 out of the last 10 Glock CCW I saw at the range were carrying in a Blackhawk Serpa.

I understand the need for locking a pistol in a holster, especially for those of us taking Carbine courses where we're rolling around on the ground, but for CCW, I see no difference between carrying a cocked and locked 1911 and a Glock owner carrying in a serpa type holster.

Actually---I'm not sure I get this at all.

It's a retention holster, not a safety device to prevent the unintended firing of the weapon. I know some folks who recommend the SERPA for duty; no one who recommends it for CC. Pretty self-evident...

No way i'd carry a gun for CC and "lock" it in a holster!
    i need it to come out when i pull it out...and real fast too. I agree with the rolling around on the ground idea but when i need it i need it now or 5 seconds ago. no time for a "push this button or you don't get it " holster.
    I am sure it's a "you'll get used to it" ...and "train with it" deal but when there are so many options without that i wouldn't use it for CC.
    call me crazy but ...
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    It's a retention holster, not a safety device to prevent the unintended firing of the weapon. I know some folks who recommend the SERPA for duty; no one who recommends it for CC. Pretty self-evident...
    Now you know one. I use it for CC and I think it's awesome.

But it's not for everyone, even with the belt attachment it sticks out a bit much. But it's my fastest draw from retention holster.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Now you have met 2.

Glock duty holster - Blackhawk Serpa retention
    CC holster - Serpa Retention

I train with it and live with it. It just makes it easier to have different holsters with the same retention. Muscle memory.

Make that three...

The retention isn't a hindrance at all. The "button" is excatly where I normally place my finger when drawing so it's second nature. It sticks out too far for t-shirt and shorts cover (IWB time for me), but it works great for with a jacket or even long tailed shirt untucked.

VIP Member
    Ummm...One is a holster and one is a safety device? One is designed to hold your pistol, and one is designed to keep it from firing when you don't want it to?

And, not for nothing, but when was the last time you threw ten pisols of any make to someone, and asked them to catch them with a stick? Now THERE is an argument I don't get...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

the holster wont slow you down at all in your draw
    heres a video from blackhawk of a .62 second draw and fire using a SERPA holster
    no direct link but just click on the first video

BLACKHAWKVIDEO.COM
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Administrator
    Actually Jamie is correct.

The SERPA holster moves an added manual safety off of the firearm and onto the holster.

Exactly like a COLT thumb safety - it is an action that you must physically perform before the firearm can be brought into play.

So in effect by carrying a Glock in a SERPA you have added an Index Finger Safety to the firearm rather than having a Thumb Safety on the firearm.

And BTW thumbing the safety OFF on a Colt 1911 will not slow you down either as it is an action that is a natural part of the presentation sequence.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I have to disagree, QK... One is on the gun, and one is not. Take the pistol out of the holster, and the "safety" ceases to be, whereas a thumb safety is always there. They perform similar functions (sorta), but they are most certainly NOT the same.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Actually Jamie is correct.

The SERPA holster moves an added manual safety off of the firearm and onto the holster.

Exactly like a COLT thumb safety - it is an action that you must physically perform before the firearm can be brought into play.

So in effect by carrying a Glock in a SERPA you have added an Index Finger Safety to the firearm rather than having a Thumb Safety on the firearm.

And BTW thumbing the safety OFF on a Colt 1911 will not slow you down either as it is an action that is a natural part of the presentation sequence.
    I must disagree as well. I know that there are many shooters who can draw a 1911, flick off the safety and throw some fast shots. But it is still an extra movement with your thumb on the weapon after it is drawn. Where as the draw from a Serpa level II requires no extra movement. Your finger hits the release as you index in the normal drawing position.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links