holster for 686p s&w

holster for 686p s&w

This is a discussion on holster for 686p s&w within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry a 686p concealed? I have one with a 2.5 inch barrel, so it is plausible, if a bit heavy. Still, I would ...

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

Question holster for 686p s&w

Does anyone carry a 686p concealed? I have one with a 2.5 inch barrel, so it is plausible, if a bit heavy. Still, I would like a recommendation for an outside the waistband type belt mounted holster, if anyone knows of one. Thanks, and this forum has some very informed people on it.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Well, I don't have a 686 but I'm currently carrying an M66 K-frame with the same barrel length as yours. I'd think your gun would be a bit heavier than mine.

At the moment I'm using a Don Hume J.I.T. as that's all I could find on short notice. It's not the greatest of holsters and in time it'll be replaced with something from the fine craftsmen we have here on the Forum. I think my biggest problem with carrying the 66 isn't the weight as much as the rear blade sight rubbing my forearm and clothes and the front sight snagging leather material every time I draw (both problems a better holster would eliminate). Personally, I plan on ordering a pancake holster for this as soon as funds allow.

We've got some of the best leather workers in the industry right here on the Forum and it'd be hard to go wrong with any of them: Gary Brommeland, Eric Larsen, Mark Garrity, Matt Del Fatti, KD Holsters and Tucker Leather... all good choices, just take your pick! (Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone). Whomever you choose, do yourself a favor and get a real gun belt with the holster. It makes all the difference in the world, especially with a hefty gun like your 686.
    Jack

I have a 686 in the 2.5 inch bbl...conciels well with my smith high ride pancake holster that was made especially for the gun. It also fits my Ruger police Servie Six just as well. The small pachmyer professonal grips work well also. they're for the K and L frame round butt guns
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I have a 4" 686 that I carry during the winter months, in a Galco, Fletch I don't have a problem carrying it all day. You will need a good belt BTW

Assistant Administrator
    My 686 6" - which used to belong to acparmed - was IIRC carried much, and in a very handsome (if large) sho rig! He kindly passed that on to me as well, - regular carry will probably not feature - tho hunting well might.

He may be able to comment on his experiences with that carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links