Galco pocket holster?

This is a discussion on Galco pocket holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here carry a snub nose revolver in a Galco pocket holster? If so how do you like it,does it conceal draw well? Do you ...

Thread: Galco pocket holster?

Galco pocket holster?

Anyone here carry a snub nose revolver in a Galco pocket holster? If so how do you like it,does it conceal draw well? Do you feel the Galco is a good leather pocket holster for the money?

2. Remove Ads

Galco Pocket....

I dunno. I worked in a gun store for about 2 years and sold ONE. I think people see the price point and kinda move along. They are nice and I like the horsehide, but as I said...

I do have a friend who has one for his Smith and he swears by it. That is his back up gun and he has had the holster for a few years. I know he would give you a thumbs up.

Don't know if I helped any...

I use one for my 642 in my Carhartt shorts (too big of a package for my jeans). Works pretty well. Holster stays put, gun draws easily.

Out of the package, it's ambi and stiff as a board, so I took the liberty of wetting it down and doing some molding of my own on it.

For the money... Eh, there's probably better. Galco holsters in general are overpriced, in my opinion. However, this one was quick and off-the-shelf locally, so I went with it.

I carry my 638 in a Ross holster. I like it very much and Phil Smith of CCW Supply,LLC is great to deal with. It's rough on the outside, smooth on inside, easy to draw from and holster stays put.

Joe

Do it right the first time.

One word...Kramer.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I had one for my model 60 and I didn't like it. The holster would want to exit with the gun. For the member who recommended Kramer, let me say this, I have pocket carried a B/U for a long time. I molded leather holster provides great retention for a OWB rig, but you don't want this in a pocket holster!! I have several with the thumb press and pocket hook, etc..... They all made drawing the weapon clumbsy. I then ordered a Nemisis pocket holster and I have found my perfect pocket holster. The material grabs the pocket so the holster stays in the pocket and the gun slips out of the holster without pressing your thumb againt the holster to pry it out. Try it you will be glad you did!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    For the member who recommended Kramer, let me say this, I have pocket carried a B/U for a long time. I molded leather holster provides great retention for a OWB rig, but you don't want this in a pocket holster!! I have several with the thumb press and pocket hook, etc..... They all made drawing the weapon clumbsy.
    Says you and one nay doesn't knock out all leather pocket holsters. IMO a quality leather holster trumps a nylon pocket pouch. My Kramer (and I believe many others) has great retention and a smooth, fast draw. Maybe yours was a bit of operator error. Either way, if it doesn't work for you then don't use it.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I for one will no longer use a pocket anything where the gun slips out too easily! Read my recent post about having my J frame slip out of a pocket and pocket holster to end up in a friends couch! Thank God I saw it as I got up, other wise I might have left a loaded J frame in their sofa where their little boy could have found it!

I was using an Uncle Mikes pocket holster that does a good job of breaking up printing, it stays in the pocket and the gun draws out as smooth as silk and THAT was the problem! I've got to have some amount of retention after that scare and recommend others think about that! It's important to be able to draw smoothly but it doesn't have to be so easy that the gun could slip out when you're sitting back on a big ole sofa with docker type pants pockets!

Semper-Fi I simply replied with what I have found to be true after carrying many guns via pocket carry. If you disagree that's fine, that is what a forum is all about, isn't it. Instead you want to blame me for "operator error", I think not sir!!
    Mr Gideon,
    I have never had a gun slip out of a Nemisis holster when it wasn't drawn out by me. I read your previous post and I understand, and agree with your concerns. It is my opinion that the Nemisis holster has just the right amount of retention, while also staying put in the pocket. But of course you have those that say if doesn't have a huge price tag and be covered in exotic skins it's not a decent holster. Gotta love the internet.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Read maybe; no blame implied and all opinions respected.

Links