What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!!

This is a discussion on What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "I may have to ask Eric to make me (when I save up again) the same holster but with a flap of leather past the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    "I may have to ask Eric to make me (when I save up again) the same holster but with a flap of leather past the muzzle point to lay across that spot, or have him design it so the gun rides lower so the muzzle is just past that point"

Have you talked this over with Eric? He may have some valuable suggestions to your problem. Give him a hollar. He is a stand up guy.

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

2. Remove Ads

Gideon, I hate to say it, but I agree with 'exactlymypoint'. Sometimes holsters will just never be comfortable to certain body frames. Sounds like you got a lemon.

I really hate to see my fellow carriers inconvenienced and in pain, so I will, even though I shouldn't, take it off your hands. I'll even pay shipping.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    One thing I recommend is to shift the holster forward and aft on your waistband. The Canute, for example, is designed for 4-5 o'clock carry, just above the back pocket. Carrying it on the side say 2:30-3o'clock, for some and certain guns, causes pain. You should have a "sweet spot" on your hip somewhere where the gun will work well for you. It may not be where you want it, but it's where it works best for you.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I agree with Nate. I have some really great holsters from HBE, UBG, Bluegrass, K&D & Milt Sparks they all have their own "sweet spot" and they are not always where I thought they would be or even where I thought I wanted them. But with some experimenting I always found the perfect “forget about it” spot.

You might also try changing the cant by angling the loops, I have had really good results by shifting where things hit.

Just keep trying.

Craiger
    Last edited by Craiger; July 16th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

AKJ/Concealco's holsters for short-barrel guns are made extra long for just the reason the OP mentioned. I am sure HBE or UBG would be glad to accommodate if you ask.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    AKJ/Concealco's holsters for short-barrel guns are made extra long for just the reason the OP mentioned. I am sure HBE or UBG would be glad to accommodate if you ask.
    From AKJ website -
    In most cases, consumers purchase a handgun with a short barrel to facilitate concealment. So why is it necessary to add additional length to the bottom of the holster?

I have found, through my own experience, that when the bottom of the holster is flush with muzzle of a short-barreled handgun, there is a tendency for the bottom of the holster to dig uncomfortably into the wearer's hip or buttocks. To remedy this problem, we add additional leather to the bottom of holsters made for short-barreled handguns, then contour it around the end of the muzzle (to minimize the amount of print). Our rule-of-thumb is that the length of the front holster should be at least five inches from the top of the reinforcement to the bottom of the holster. The additional leather also adds stability to the holster.

AKJ Concealco IWBs Short-barreled handguns

As a side note, Nate from UBG was easy to work with on an order I had. He will also make suggestions based upon his experience.

holster digging

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Try a different position for the holster. It might work.

Yes, I bought a C-TAC for my 5" 1911 and it just digs into me. I've tried all sorts of locations/adjustments/etc. and had to give up on it.

Likewise I spent a mint and waited >6 months for an IWB Mitch Rosen holster. It was just too uncomfortable around the house, and it sits in a box of holsters.

It happens.

Eventually I'll get around to posting them for sale.
    i also have the c-tac holster and once in awhile i'll notice
    that sometimes it feels uncomfortable. the way i fix that
    (if it's not too hot out 2 t-shirts. one tucked in and the
    other as a cover for my edc. that works pretty good for
    me. pretty comfortable that. but we all know what works
    for one might not work for others. anyway good luck in
    your pursuit in finding and holstter that will work for ya.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    All good thoughts. Again, I haven't called Eric because I wouldn't ask or want him to do anything except help me come up with a slight modification on his excellent design to try again. His com3 holster really is OUTSTANDING; it's just the combination of the gun, me and the holster. I'll work with it and if I just can't make it work, I'll sell it and I know he or Nate could help me design something to work.

By the way, I just got my CANUTE from Nate at UBG Holsters. It LOOKS PERFECT!! but I haven't tried it on, will do in later tonight. Nate's holster looks every bit as good as Eric's and we just as fast.

Not to pick on Gary at Brommeland but it's hard to imagine the Maxcon being worth a year and a half wait when you can get the quality of leather I just got from HBE and UBG in UNDER three weeks!

I'll keep trying my COM3 and see if something gives but it's the muzze itself that's poking so It can't breat in too much, however, the whole rig my work out.

I have tried moving it to 2:30 and it's better but still hurts.

Anyway, some folks would think I'm nuts to go through all of this be when you see the whole package (belt, holster & gun) together it's a beautiful sight to behold!

This is as said a common occurrance with IWB, almost always goes away. It can be very painful getting used to the carry position but should go away completely. I use appendix carry, it hurt when I started many years ago, I think it was about a week. But appendix carry is the best IMO, I'm 5'11", 170 and can carry 2 Sig 239's, R & L under a tight t-shirt, no print at all and super fast draw. Mine is HBE DC Tuckable in full shark, I like full shark not for looks but wears like iron. Shark looks good too but only see it at night when when I hang the Levi's up.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    All good thoughts. Again, I haven't called Eric because I wouldn't ask or want him to do anything except help me come up with a slight modification on his excellent design to try again.
    I would suggest calling him. It couldn't hurt to talk to him.

Cell: 801-916-9248 10AM to 8PM Mountain Time

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    i also have the c-tac holster and once in awhile i'll notice
    that sometimes it feels uncomfortable. the way i fix that
    (if it's not too hot out 2 t-shirts. one tucked in and the
    other as a cover for my edc. that works pretty good for
    me. pretty comfortable that. but we all know what works
    for one might not work for others. anyway good luck in
    your pursuit in finding and holstter that will work for ya.
    Thanks, but I just found that the biggest part of the issue is that the 5" bbl on the 1911 makes the C-Tac too long (and non-flexible) for me. It bottoms out when getting into the car, etc. Adjusting the tabs and changing location just didn't work. Also being Kydex, it won't really mold to my body. I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for the 1911 that is great, no problems. My Brommeland DefCon for the 1911 works great for a pancake holster, again no problems.

I did speak with the good folks at C-Tac and tried all sorts of things. That combo just didn't work for me.

Some holsters just aren't going to work for some guns/people combo.

hmmm a 5" too long, a 3" too short, could it be that a 4" is JUST right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    All good thoughts. Again, I haven't called Eric because I wouldn't ask or want him to do anything except help me come up with a slight modification on his excellent design to try again. His com3 holster really is OUTSTANDING; it's just the combination of the gun, me and the holster. I'll work with it and if I just can't make it work, I'll sell it and I know he or Nate could help me design something to work.

By the way, I just got my CANUTE from Nate at UBG Holsters. It LOOKS PERFECT!! but I haven't tried it on, will do in later tonight. Nate's holster looks every bit as good as Eric's and we just as fast.

Not to pick on Gary at Brommeland but it's hard to imagine the Maxcon being worth a year and a half wait when you can get the quality of leather I just got from HBE and UBG in UNDER three weeks!

I'll keep trying my COM3 and see if something gives but it's the muzze itself that's poking so It can't breat in too much, however, the whole rig my work out.

I have tried moving it to 2:30 and it's better but still hurts.

Anyway, some folks would think I'm nuts to go through all of this be when you see the whole package (belt, holster & gun) together it's a beautiful sight to behold!
    I'd give Eric a call. There may very well be some adjustment that he could make which would set things right for you. For example, a bit more forward cant might make a difference. Or a slightly higher or lower ride. Have you tried it at 4 - 4:30?

However, if nothing works, there's really only one thing to do: ditch the rig and the weapon. I'll send you my address so you can just ship the whole thing to me and you won't have to worry about it any more!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Well, thanks for offering to take it off my hands but I'll keep the gun! The holster is made so I'll try to see if it or I break in; and if not, then I'll sell it and have Eric make me another one with the mods. It really is a beautiful holster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too, had the same experience with short barrels like my G-26, P2000sk, or my 3" 1911s.

This is nothing new but I would either get a holster that is at least 1 inch longer or get a holster design that has the extra leather at the bottom.

Here are some examples of the holsters I use that WORKS for me.

For my 3" 1911, the Max Con V with the extra leather is perfect and very comfortable!

They say, this is one of the most comfortable holsters around, the Alessi PCH; but it didn't work for me. It has the extra leather on the side but not at the bottom. I sold this to a member here, and I'm hoping to hear if it worked out for him. I recently purchased the same holster but for a 5" 1911 and I'm sure it will be comfortable (we'll see).

Here is an example for which the holster does not have the extra leather so instead I bought the Commander size holster for my 3" 1911 - Alessi Talon Plus. Very comfortable and does not dig into my hips. Can you tell the difference?

An example that does NOT work is the Galco Royal Guard made for 3" 1911. Because of the short barrel and holster, it digs into my hips, but when I wear my Royal Guard for my 5" 1911, it works just fine.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links