What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!!

This is a discussion on What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well bust my bubble!!! I ordered a new COM3 IWB from HBE Leatherworks (Eric Larson) and just got it the other day and it HURTS!!! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a bummer! New Holster Hurts!!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Well bust my bubble!!! I ordered a new COM3 IWB from HBE Leatherworks (Eric Larson) and just got it the other day and it HURTS!!! Now let me say this, the holster is PERFECT and I mean PERFECT. It's the best made holster I've ever had. Fit, finish, function; all of it is great AND it's the fastest holster I've ever ordered from a custom place. I think the whole thing was under 3 weeks from order to delivery. I can't believe how well Eric did. So what's the problem?

It's a combination of my build and the gun size. It's for a Colt New Agent (any 3" 1911). The gun is short so when it's on my belt the muzzle is pressing just slightly in a spot right below my hip. It's NOT the fault of the holster, it's just my build. If I was carrying a 5" 1911 there the barrel would lay "across" that point and not be "pressing" up against it. The gun is held very tight to the body and conceals great but this preasure point is funny. I'm trying to move it forward from 4:00 to 2:30 to see if I can alleviate it.

I realize now that I've always carried either smaller or larger guns IWB but never this particular size. I'm using a very expensive custom gun belt so the whole rig is just out of this world except it hurts

I may have to ask Eric to make me (when I save up again) the same holster but with a flap of leather past the muzzle point to lay across that spot, or have him design it so the gun rides lower so the muzzle is just past that point!! Custom gun leather is the best but this is the one potential downside! I guess this is why we end up with our obligatory box of unused holsters!!

I wondered if any of you ever got the perfect holster with a great new gun only to find out it hurt?

Scarry thing is I'm getting a canute from UBG for a Kahr p9 and I'm worried it my be similar the way it rides on me.

I also have a Kahr MK9 I carry IWB and a J frame and of course those two are GREAT and never hurt at all!

So, I'm going to experiment a bit more but if I can't get it to work I'm going to have the best 3" 1911 holster I've ever seen for sale and it's almost in unworn condition!!

I think it also has something to do with the fact that I'm slender through the hips and I'm lacking any real padding on the sides there.

Anyway, I can't say enough about Eric's work and I'm simply AMAZED at the speed!!!!! I still have a Maxcon on order from Brommeland and it's been almost a year and a half!

You may want to play around with it some and see if you can find a more comfortable fit.

As for your holster from UBG, you should call/email Nate immediately and let him know about your concerns. He probably hasn't started the holster yet (with me he emailed me for payment the day before he made it), so it shouldn't be a big deal to put a flap on the bottom.

Lead Moderator
    Perhaps adjusting where it rides slightly (frwd or back)might make a big difference? I know if I wear any holster in one certain spot I get on heck of a pain in short order.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would wear it for a time when it starts hurting take it off and let the area rest a little then put holster back on ,over time you may get use to the new pressure,sometimes our nerve endings are real sensitive and take time to desensitise from new pressure in areas there wasn't any before
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Try a different position for the holster. It might work.

Yes, I bought a C-TAC for my 5" 1911 and it just digs into me. I've tried all sorts of locations/adjustments/etc. and had to give up on it.

Likewise I spent a mint and waited >6 months for an IWB Mitch Rosen holster. It was just too uncomfortable around the house, and it sits in a box of holsters.

It happens.

Eventually I'll get around to posting them for sale.

I have the same problem with my Crossbreed IWB. It just doesn't feel comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    I have the same problem with my Crossbreed IWB. It just doesn't feel comfortable for me.
    The first week with my Crossbreed was hellishly uncomfortable. Week 2 was not so bad, and by now (week 3) I only notice it a little bit (though it isn't what i would call comfortable). I do notice that it is starting to conform more to my shape over time. Perhaps holsters are like shoes, and require a bit of a "break in" period before they become truly comfortable?
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

I have nerve damage from a spinal cord injury and the first time I put on an IWB holster the unusual pressure almost broughtme to tears and I had to take it off but after time and wearing it for short periods of time I now wear it from the time I get up til I go to sleep around 14 to 16 HRS a day and don't even know it's there
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had a similar experience with my Tucker Answer. Everyone said that it would just disappear and I wouldn't even notice I had it on. Wrong! I had an unrealistic expectation. It took about 2 weeks for it to conform to me and for me to find the ideal position. After that, it was smooth sailing.

As has been suggested, don't give up on it until you've played around with it some more. Try shifting the position fore and aft, try a different belt, or tightening/loosening the one you have. Make sure your pants fit properly with the holster on.

When you've gone through all of that, if you still can't make it work, I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it here. I know I'd be interested. But I'd rather see it be successful for you.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I think you should give every well-made holster at least a solid month. The leather changes to fit you the same way it is molded to fit the gun. It can be quite painful until it does. During that time, it will settle into your ideal carry spot.

It's not so bad that I wouldn't wear it, but it;s just isn't comfortable. I'm sure I didn't give it the time I should have and maybe I'll give it another try.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    The first week with my Crossbreed was hellishly uncomfortable. Week 2 was not so bad, and by now (week 3) I only notice it a little bit (though it isn't what i would call comfortable). I do notice that it is starting to conform more to my shape over time. Perhaps holsters are like shoes, and require a bit of a "break in" period before they become truly comfortable?

Painful Holster

I agree with Ozshadow. You need to give it time. It is like a pair of really nice, leather shoes... you gotta break 'em in. Your body heat will help mold the holster to you. I know it sounds silly, but I have broken in a holster just by cutting the lawn and doing a few chores.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    As much as I hate to say it, sometimes holsters just don't fit. I would take the advice of everyone here and give it some time, but it just may not work for you.

I bought a holster from a top of the line maker and no matter what I did, it just wasn't comfortable. The biggest hurt was that I couldn't use a holster I waited 4 months for.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wolf View Post
    I know it sounds silly, but I have broken in a holster just by cutting the lawn and doing a few chores.
    In light of Silver Wolf's excellent suggestion, let me extend an offer of assistance to anyone who needs to break in a new holster. You're welcome to come by my place and cut the lawn and do some chores. Always glad to help . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Don't be too patient

I sometimes wear a holster till I adapt to it, in fact most of the time I do, and it works. But I wish I had at least let CompTac know I was having second thoughts about one- they are excellent at customer service and all that, but I just fought the holster for a long time, then finally put it in a drawer and moved on. I wish I had contacted them, and let them know about it, got their advice and involved them, so I could have returned it if it didn't work out. I am not good at communicating.

Exechobo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links