A different type of Holster ???

This is a discussion on A different type of Holster ??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about something I want some opinions. I have been cc'ing for 12+ years. When I first started out I tried IWB, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different type of Holster ???

I have been thinking about something I want some opinions. I have been cc'ing for 12+ years. When I first started out I tried IWB, nothing fancy, just a off the shelf Bianchi or Galco, but I found it to be very uncomfortable with my G23. I finally ended up with OWB in a pancake holster and have carried it this way ever since. My favorite is the Bianchi CarryLoc.
    Anyway I am looking for something for my P232, it is my church gun or for when I need deeper concealment. Since this gun is considerably smaller than the G23 I am considering giving IWB a try. I know everyone recommends the VM II but I am not going to spend that type of money unless I know it will work for me. I have looked at the Crossbreed line up as well as some other makers. It seems most of them have the same design as the VM II. While looking at the holster it dawned on me, why not place belt slots below the belt loops and the holster could be worn IWB or OWB?? The extra wide wings that are used on OWB to keep the holster tight to the body would do the same thing OWB given the proper belt is worn and as long as the gun wasn't to top heavy it should keep close to the body. I believe the P232 would be perfect for this type of combo holster. So what am I missing? Would this work, or not, please explain. I would think this would be a very versatile holster. I could see it not working with heavier and larger guns, but for something mid sized I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    Also for those more experienced at IWB do you prefer the adjustable clips or the loops of leather with a snap to attatch to the belt? I have seen the clips that have several holes for adjusting cant, these seem to be very versatile. I have contacted a Holster maker who does some fine work to also ask his opinions on this type of holster. I will let you know what he says.
    I appreciate the opinions.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Check out Bluegrass holsters (Bluegrass Holsters). He made me an OWB that I love and he has a convertible holster.

Son of a gun!!! There is one already made!! I reckon I wasn't so crazy. Instead of the belt loops I wonder if you could use the same clips like the M-tac uses, that would be slick.
    Thanks for the link, still looking for others advice. Here is a link to the Bluegrass holster, look under specialty holsters. It is called the Mason Dixon

Bluegrass Holsters

I just looked at Comp-tac and they sell the clips seperately. I think adding this to the holster would make a really versatile system. What do y'all think? As I said I am new to IWB. Here are the clips.

Comp-Tac : Products

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Fame comes too late for NCHornet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have the MTAC and CTAC from Comp-Tac....Love 'em both!
    The standard clips are my favorite although I have some of the 'older style' C-clips which work, but I like the look of those 'newer style' clips.

My G23 rides very comfortably in either holster and being able to tuck it in is a plus.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Fame comes too late for NCHornet.
    Story of my life!!!

I am going to show how naive I am about IWB holsters, what makes a tuckable a tuckable? It sure seems to me that any IWB holster can handle tucking a shirt between the holster and your pants. Of course you still have the clips showing. Just wondering for you stiff necked suit types, just kding, lol!!!

I am able to dress casual with a cover garment, so a tuckable isn't needed, but I am curious what the difference is between it and a standard IWB.
    Thanks
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

A tuckable is tuckable because of the way the clips or loops mount to the holster. With a tuckable IWB, the loops are inverted or attached to the holster much lower so that there is a place to tuck in your shirt. In a non-tuckable IWB, the loops come from the top of the holster, under the belt, and button above the belt, therefore there is no 'slot' for a shirt to be tucked into.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Son of a gun!!! There is one already made!! I reckon I wasn't so crazy. Instead of the belt loops I wonder if you could use the same clips like the M-tac uses, that would be slick.
    You may wish to inquire at "Ted Blocker Holsters". I have one of their horse hide holsters that converts from IWB to OWB in a pancake model for my 10mm Witness.

See 'Related Links'...find Fist holsters...look at IWB holster #1A with a clip and cant (add a body protector)...I have more than 6 of this holster for different sidearms...perfect comfort and concealment!

Stay armed...have perfect CCW...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks everyone I will check the above holsters out.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I just went to Ted's website but I don't see any holsters listed????

http://www.tedblocker.com/

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    NCH
    Yup.

A Bluegrass Mason-Dixon with C-TAC clips is what's on my belt as we speak.

I kept the leather loops for when I wear my black 1.5" leather belt, but more often I've got 1.25" belts on, so I bought a set of smaller clips.

They work great and, as a side benefit, they are a bit quicker on and off.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Thanks Fozzy, I reckon I wasn't such a pioneer afterall. lol!!! Would you mind sending me, or posting some photos how this holster looks in both configurations? Brock from Bluegrass Holsters has replied to a thread about this holster on TFL, he says the Comp-Tac risers and clips are less comfortable than the leather ones he uses. Have you found this to be true? What type of gun do you carry in yours? How long have you had it? Which position do you use the most? I appreciate the info. I just want to order this holster once.
    Thanks
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links