Comp-Tac C-Tac vs. Comp-Tac Gurkha vs. Milt Sparks VMII?

Comp-Tac C-Tac vs. Comp-Tac Gurkha vs. Milt Sparks VMII?

This is a discussion on Comp-Tac C-Tac vs. Comp-Tac Gurkha vs. Milt Sparks VMII? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What holster would be better for concealed carry? The Comp-Tac C-Tac, Comp-Tac Gurkha, or the Milt Sparks VMII? Or is there a better holster altogether?...

Thread: Comp-Tac C-Tac vs. Comp-Tac Gurkha vs. Milt Sparks VMII?

Question Comp-Tac C-Tac vs. Comp-Tac Gurkha vs. Milt Sparks VMII?

What holster would be better for concealed carry? The Comp-Tac C-Tac, Comp-Tac Gurkha, or the Milt Sparks VMII? Or is there a better holster altogether?

IWB Holsters

I have a CTAC holster and a Crossbreed holster. I like them both. I carry a XD9sc in the CTAC and a Hi-Power in the Crossbreed. Both holsters work very well. I do like the way the Crossbreed wraps around, I think it supports the heavy Hi-Power more comfortably than a CTAC holster. Pure speculation on my part because I don't have both holsters for each pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

All well thought of, but nothing compares to the workmanship and comfort of the all-leather Milt Sparks. There's a reason why it's the most sought-after holster in the country.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Are the clips on the C-Tac as fragile and likely to break as they say they are?

I've carried with the Gurkha and the C-Tac; I like the C-tac the best - but that's just a personal opinion.

I have also had one clip break after a few years of daily use. I purchased two new clips which, I'm told have been redesigned, tested for more severe use and should last longer than the old style.

I've never carried with a Milt Sparks IWB, but I do have an OWB 55BN - it's a great holster too.

IWB Holsters

The older wider clips on the CTAC did bend or fracture easier. I ordered a new pair in January. They are thinner and have four holes instead of three. The new clips are more adjustable and seem stronger to me. I think they will stand up to more use. I have two paddle holsters and a CTAC from Comp-Tac. They are very well made holsters.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    The older wider clips on the CTAC did bend or fracture easier. I ordered a new pair in January. They are thinner and have four holes instead of three. The new clips are more adjustable and seem stronger to me. I think they will stand up to more use. I have two paddle holsters and a CTAC from Comp-Tac. They are very well made holsters.

-- Richard
    What do you think of the "C" and "V" clips?

C or V clips

I have never tried either the C or V clips. If you do a search I think you will find people who have tried both. I have discovered that with a black belt, and some cell phone positioning the regular clips can be made to go away. I would hate to give up the easy on and off of the regular clips.

-- Richard

I have never tried either the C or V clips. If you do a search I think you will find people who have tried both. I have discovered that with a black belt, and some cell phone positioning the regular clips can be made to go away. I would hate to give up the easy on and off of the regular clips.

-- Richard
    How well does it conceal? Are you able to tuck your shirt in with it? Can you adjust how high the gun rides on you?

-- Richard
    I spoke to Greg from Comp-Tac about the new clips a couple of weeks ago, purely out of curiosity since I don't use kydex holsters myself. I learned a lot about them and I also learned that there's a lot more to designing a good product than I thought. Mind you, he was talking in very simple laymen's terms for me to understand.

He told me that when they first started making the old clips, forming the kydex manually, they had breakage problems so they hired a materials expert to test them. He made a gadget that would vigorously flex the clips a half inch, simulating heavy use, and count how many times they would flex before breaking. The average or mean, whatever the term was, for the old clips was something like 99 (he was working from memory so the figures weren't meant to be taken as gospel, just as a reference). The materials guy told them they should apply the heat digitally for better results, and when they did the number went up to something like 900, quite an improvement.

But they still had some breakage and decided to look further. They found a plastic material that was designed to act and flex like a spring would, rather than be hard and brittle like kydex, and were able to make the new clips thinner and more concealable as a result. The breakage number for the new style clips is around 10 million, which is pretty much an infinite amount of uses, though he says they can still be broken if you try hard enough.

So that's the story behind the new clips. And here I thought they had just changed them for the heck of it.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I personally do not like the new Comptac clips that they are using. They look like big cheap popsicle sticks and appear flimsy looking. Could these really be a cost savings short cut??. It looks like another maker (K&D) who used the same old ones switch to the popsickle stick style. I tried the newer ones on a K&D rig and did not like them. I have never had a problem with the older ones and I am no physics major but the old ones look like they have more surface area and would provide better stability and support on the belt. If they were made with a new material, why not have them made using the same material into the old version clips?

oops do not mean to thread jack..back to the original question...I think there is no BEST holster out there. Everyone has different personal tastes and body shapes. What someone says is best may not be best for you. Many people seem to think the VM2 is the best holster out there but I found it thick and bulky compared to others. The CTAC is hard to beat especially when they can be on your waist in a few days.

Yeah, good point. Nice picture btw

Links