Instructor's Belt Follow-up

This is a discussion on Instructor's Belt Follow-up within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys! Well, after wearing my 5 Stitch Instructors belt 14+ hrs a day for 5 days straight, I have made the following observations: It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Guys!

Well, after wearing my 5 Stitch Instructors belt 14+ hrs a day for 5 days straight, I have made the following observations:

It supports the holster/firearm ( Def-Con OWB/5" steel frame 1911) superbly. The carry/draw characteristics are indistinguishable from my Combat Dress Belt.

It looks cool w/ jeans/BDU's and Docker type slacks.

The nylon webbing, although quite thick and with 5 rows of stitching is actually conforming itself to my waist/hipbones.

It is slightly less comfortable than my Combat Dress Belt. (This might well be due to my being fat, however. Some feedback from you slimmer guys and gals would be helpful.)
    Bottom line - this really is a lot of belt for the money. It won't make me give up my Combat Dress Belts, but I sure would use one in a heartbeat.

So guys, at this point, I am planning on stocking these things. However, I want to make sure that I'm supplying you with what you actually want and need. If you could all take a minute and post, I'd sure appreciate hearing your thoughts regarding these belts and whether or not you'd like to see me stock them. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it a bunch.

I just got one of these Wilderness belts in the mail today. I wanted a belt that I could beat up on, crawl under the car etc. then still support a holster. It will not replace my Combat Dress Belt that I usually wear but will give me a alternative belt to use so I do not abuse my CDB. So far I have to agree it is a lot of belt for the money.

I think the Wilderness belt is perfect for the person that is just starting to CCW, needs a belt in a hurry or if someone needs to save a few bucks. I do hope that everyone still looks into a good leather gun belt, they are so nice. The guy that made my gun belt really seems to know what he is doing. He also makes really great holsters.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Looking at the website....I like the 1 1/2 inch belt, in coyote color and the 5 stitch.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well as a skinny guy..the one I wore was very workable. I didnt have it on for a couple of weeks like you but would still wear one....If I didnt have a very good leather belt already that is. :D
    Shoot well.
    Last edited by QKShooter; November 21st, 2005 at 11:08 PM. Reason: correct minor typo
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I've been using a 5-stitch 1.5 inch width belt for 6 or 8 months. Works fine and is stiff enough. Did you happen to get the "extra heavy duty polymer lining" of the Combat Shooter's Model? I did not, and have been wondering if there is some advantage to the extra stiffness.

Gary goe ahead stock them. I am still saving up for a good belt and holster to carry my 1911. I currently use a garrison belt and fobus. This combo is good for my 637, but is not all that great for my 1911. I will one day get a holster from you and a belt.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Gary, I sent you a message on your website contact form.....

I'm a fat guy...belts with big buckles are no good for me. I'd rather have one of your belts Gary...

Oh wait...I AM getting one of your belts...
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Definitely a good idea Gary. I'd be interested the 1.5" 5-stitch in black of course, but the same belt in "coyote" or OD would make a good hunting and fishing belt as well. I'm thinking about the camo/stealth needs of turkey and bow hunting I guess. Plus, they'd offer a bit less "tactical" option too.

I'm a hardcore leather fan like everyone else but a good quality "beater" belt has strong appeal. I'd be really interested in your opinion of the 1.25" "Frequent Flyer" belts too if you have the chance to put that through trials. Curious if those would still fully support a heavy firearm like a steel 5" 1911.

Thanks Gary!
    Jack

That's the belt I carry with every single day. I've been wearing it for about 13 months now. I love it! When this one wears out (30 years from now), I'll buy another. :)
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

I'll order one!!!
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Gary - I have been seriously thinking about a 5" Black WB. Would be a gift for my father and maybe a buddy of mine - so could be making three orders within the next few weeks. When do you think you will start offering them?

OK, guys, what are you looking at? I went to the website and only saw the dress belt.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Here's the link to WT's site, you can see the belts there:

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I've been using a 5-stitch 1.5 inch width belt for 6 or 8 months. Works fine and is stiff enough. Did you happen to get the "extra heavy duty polymer lining" of the Combat Shooter's Model? I did not, and have been wondering if there is some advantage to the extra stiffness.
    The sample belt that I ordered is a standard 1.5" 5-stitch model. The folks at The Wilderness advised against the polymer lining except for use as a duty belt or for competition. (BTW, this thing is PLENTY stiff for CCW applications)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links