Galco holsters

This is a discussion on Galco holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any input or thoughts on Galco brand holsters? I am a bigger guy, and I am looking for a holster that allows ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galco holsters

Galco holsters

Does anyone have any input or thoughts on Galco brand holsters? I am a bigger guy, and I am looking for a holster that allows me to carry without showing at all that I am carrying if possible, as well as be comfortable. I am leaning more towards a side, middle of back, or off to the right side of the middle of the back.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I prefer their OWBs over their IWBs, however their M.O.B. holster is kind of right for what your looking for.

As far as "off the shelf" holsters are concerned, IMHO Galco is the best and I own quite a few.

Personally, I find that a good IWB or OWB will conceal equally as well as the M.O.B. / S.O.B. holsters.

Another thing is that the middle of the back holsters may be harder to draw from depending on your size.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Two of my three CCWs ride in Galco holsters. I use the excellent Concealable for my main pistol, (P2000SK), and a Fletch, (Sig P232) for my hot weather pistol. My Seecamp rides in a custom holster. Quality wise the Galcos have held up as well or better than any other brand I own, both off the rack and custom made. The fit of the gun in the five Galcos I own have been perfect.

I use OWB only, except for my Seecamp's pocket holster, as that is the most comfortable for my purposes. I carry at the 4:00 position, over my wallet pocket or a bit forward of that, depending on where belt loops are. The only other off the rack holster I've used that I felt was the equal of the Galco is the Mitch Rosen Premier although the initial fit wasn't as good as the Galco.

Don't forget the also use a good gun belt with your new holster.
    Last edited by ripley16; July 24th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard mcclete22.

There are a ton of post here about holsters and it boils down to personal choice. You just have to try some to find out what works for you.

I have a few Galco Concealables. They're a well made OWB holster for CCW that also works very well at the range and I often switch to them in cold weather.

90% of the time though I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II. I have one for each CCW I own and I am convinced it is the very best IWB holster made.

Go with quality and RUN from "inexpensive"! If you buy quality and don't like it, you can often sell it and get your loot back.

Again, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you are looking for a production run holster then Galco is great. I own two of their OWB holsters and they are very good.

That said, consider purchasing a Galco to hold you over until a custom holster is made for you. Money being no object of course.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

What make/model of gun are you desiring to carry. I have a SOB for sub compact Glocks that I would be willing to part with. Sitting for more than a hour or so killed me with SOB - but did carry/conceal well.

You will not be disappointed. The quality is very good for a "factory" piece. I own a CCP (paddle) for my G23, it is excellent for the intended purpose. If you have money and the luxury of waiting go for the custom, but if you have to have it now go with a Galco.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've had several Galco holsters throughout the years. They are what they are which is "off the rack" holsters that generally fit well enough and hold up well. In comparison, I have not had great luck buying Bianchi holsters with regard to proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclete22 View Post
    Does anyone have any input or thoughts on Galco brand holsters? I am a bigger guy, and I am looking for a holster that allows me to carry without showing at all that I am carrying if possible, as well as be comfortable. I am leaning more towards a side, middle of back, or off to the right side of the middle of the back.
    Galco makes decent holsters and I have a number of them that I like. However, I usually leave the house wearing a #88 Street Combat made by El Paso Saddlery. El Paso Saddlery - Holsters I have three of them and they all conceal very well under light cover garments. Depending on clothing requirements, I carry a full size 1911, a Combat Commander, or a Star Firestar without problems. Of course, a proper belt is critical to good concealment no matter what holster you strap on your waist.

The middle of the back concept seems reasonable on the surface, but I have found that it is difficult to conceal effectively when packing there and have read many bad things about people who have fallen on their backsides and hurt their spine because of the gun being there. You print badly when you bend over, and you can't sit comfortably carrying your weapon there. Just my opinion based on experience. It looks cool on TV and in the movies but doesn't work well in real life. You might want to rethink that position.

In any regard, there are many excellent holsters out there and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Man View Post
    Galco makes decent holsters and I

The middle of the back concept seems reasonable on the surface, but I have found that it is difficult to conceal effectively when packing there and have read many bad things about people who have fallen on their backsides and hurt their spine because of the gun being there. You print badly when you bend over, and you can't sit comfortably carrying your weapon there. Just my opinion based on experience. It looks cool on TV and in the movies but doesn't work well in real life. You might want to rethink that position.
    Amen to that. SOB carry looks cute in the movies but IMO shouldn't be considered for concealed carry. To each his own of course but I'd think a beginner would fare far better carrying at 3-4 O'Clock position.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    While Galco holsters do not compare with most custom makers', and especially the top ones, they are satisfactory for most folks.

If one looks at it from a utilitarian viewpoint what else can a holster do than hold the gun securely, remain in place and the draw be smooth, and last a reasonable time considering the price?
    Many of us just like quality workmanship above Galco. We can often get a custom holster that does work somewhat better for what we want, but if a Galco works and the price is right then I would not bad mouth it.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    +1 on the El Passo. It is pretty much the exact same as Galco IMO only it's less expensive. If you're a lefty I have the "Sky Six" (without all the floral stamping as seen on the website version) if you're interested. Wore it for about a week and then sold my glock.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member
    They are OK, when you need a holster fast. There are a lot better holsters out there at about the same price, but if you need one fast it will do.

I'm pleased with the Galco holsters I have.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Man View Post
    ......and have read many bad things about people who have fallen on their backsides and hurt their spine because of the gun being there.....
    Before purchasing one I also did research. I could not find one instance of someone becoming seriously injured by carrying this way. I think in large part it is one of those myths that got started and has continued. I truely believe that for every 1 person that has been injured in this respect - I could show several hundred that has not. I know everyone states they know a friend of a friend that seen someone slip and crack their spine - but I just could not find anyone. I think you could say the same thing about carrying on your hip - if one was to fall that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links