Different dimensions for Kimber and SA

This is a discussion on Different dimensions for Kimber and SA within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber Compact, and two SA 1911s. One a SS LW Compact, and the other a Springfield customized Champion blue. I first noticed ...

Thread: Different dimensions for Kimber and SA

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Different dimensions for Kimber and SA

I have a Kimber Compact, and two SA 1911s. One a SS LW Compact, and the other a Springfield customized Champion blue.

I first noticed that there were dimensional differences in the Kimber and the Springfields when I bought a Fobus paddle holster at a gun show. It was made for either a Browning HP or Kimber 1911. When I attempted to put a SA gun in it the gun would not go. The Kimber went in fine.

I just received a holster from an excellent maker. It is OK for my Springfield guns, but loose for the Kimber. It is not overly tight for the Springfields, but won't fall out if turned upside down. The Kiimber will easily fall out.

I am wondering if the holster makers have noticed this or other users. If the holsters are so tight that it takes a "wax paper" treatment there is not problem. However, if the holster is not so tight, and made for the SA the Kimber is too loose.
    Thanks for any replies.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    The main difference is the dimensions of the dust cover, some holster makers do know the difference, others do not. Milt Sparks for one has different molds for Springfields IIRC.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The main difference is the dimensions of the dust cover, some holster makers do know the difference, others do not. Milt Sparks for one has different molds for Springfields IIRC.
    Thanks JD. I really did not know where the difference was. In fact I can use my Sparks holsters with either, but they are made very tight, and even when loosened they remain tight enough so the the small difference does not keep the Kimber from working in the SA holsters. The same goes for the Brommeland and Kramer holsters I have, but some don't work well with both.

Thanks again for the help.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Links