New Little Bear Leather (pic's!!)

This is a discussion on New Little Bear Leather (pic's!!) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my order today.. I took some pic's and thought I would post some.. I first had Dave refinish my belt. All the Kydex ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Little Bear Leather (pic's!!)

New Little Bear Leather (pic's!!)

I received my order today..
    I took some pic's and thought I would post some..

I first had Dave refinish my belt. All the Kydex has been rough on it..
    The belt was rolled up and had stuck together when I unrolled it some of the dye came off..Over all it looks good..

Here is the holster with loops..
    Saddle tan trimmed in black elephant..

Again but with the Kydex clips that came with it..
    You can see where the black dye stuck to the holster when I removed the loops..

Now with some Comp-Tac C-Clips

He put some really soft amber colored suede on the back of the holster..

Mag holder..
    Same saddle tan with elephant..

The fit of the pistol is tight. It will break in nicely..
    The leather is super tough I think it will last a lifetime..
    Also the super soft amber colored suede is a nice touch.
    I can't get the elephant to look as nice in a photo as it does in real life..

I really like the hand made look. It has a old timey feel to it that I like.
    The only problem is with the dye coming off or sticking to the holster. I myself would rather have a problem with the finish rather than how it was made...

One last thing the suede is such a nice touch but I think it would work better if it covered the T-nuts ..Just something to try..

Anyway thanks Dave and I hope you have a good vacation...

I will update after I get to wear it awhile..

Little Bear Custom Holsters - Welcome to Little Bear Custom Holsters. My name is Dave Galloway and I hope I can build you the holster you want. I understand what it is like to want a really nice holster but the need outweighs wait time. I hope I can

2. Remove Ads

Congrats Southbound, looks real nice. I really like the color and trim.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Explanation

Southbound,

I appologize for the dye transfer. I cannot explain it other than humidity. I did not attach them until shipping day; and I guess the same with the belt. Though I think it is more the "finish" than the actual dye.

As far as the T nuts... i didn't want to cover them just incase they became stripped for some reason. I didn't want you to be stuck sending it back in for recover/replacement.

I am glad you are over all happy with the holster, though I am not happy with the flaws. I am going to brainstorm and try and fix that for future rigs.

I appreciate your candor and I hope you enjoy it.

Take care and thanks again!

I had this rig on for 3 hours last night and all day today..
    Man it is comfy

I have had no problem with the mag holder at all...
    Put it on stuck in a mag and forgot it was there...

As for the holster I have only tried the elephant loops as of now but it does ride nice..
    It did have some pre curve to it before I started to ware it.Now it is molding around me nicely..

The pistol is starting to fit just right as well. In a day or so it will draw just the way I like..

O and as always I got a email from Dave being a stand up guy about the dye thing Evan while his on vacation!!

One last thing the elephant is super nice!!!

Thanks...

That is too bad about the transfer i noticed it on my holster also but it wasn't a big deal to me as my main concern was functionality with cosmetics coming in 2nd. My holster molded to my body very well and has been holding up great wear it every day. I am glad you like yours!!!

BTW looks great (a lot like mine but i have shark)

Adam

Adam500

I agree I am more concerned with fit and form rather than lipstick and rouge!!

Thanks....

I am currently working with Dave to make a custom carry rig for my P232. He stayed in contact with me even during his vacatuon time, that is awesome customer service. I posted a thread called "a different kind of holster" we have worked together and added some other options to it. When he gets back home he is going to do some sketches before cutting the $$$ stuff. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. The basic idea is a convertible IWB/OWB holster with removable kydex clips for IWB, and since the P232 is a smaller weapon he is going to incorporate a spare mag holder in the frontal part of the holster. Mine will be in a light tan with exotic trim and then he is going to do a spare mag holder for it and my G23 mag. I can't wait to see the finished product. I may ask him to keep the holster a few days longer to prevent the staining in the dye, whatever is causing it. You pay that much for a holster you want it to look nice, but I agree fit is much more important than finish. Talk to you soon Dave.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a question for you, I have been looking at the photos a little closer and I am a bit worried about a few things. First the stitching on the mag carrier in the lower far right corner looks funny, I am not sure if this is where the stitching starts and ends, but it just doesn't look right to me. Also did you request the stitching to be raised like that? Most holster makers recess their stitching for obvious reasons, just wondering if this is something I need to mention to Dave or maybe you wanted it done this way. Also the loops on the mag carrier don't look very straight, not sure if it is the photo or what. I am glad you posted the photos as it gives me somethings to talk to dave about before sending money. Thanks for the info.

NCH
    Last edited by NCHornet; July 26th, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Not wanting to be critical for it own sake, but the stitching looks amateurish, and the holster is not boned to the degree I am used to seeing in the holsters from the top makers.
    In addition, the loops on the mag carrier look pretty rough to me.
    Overall there is a lot of room for improvement.

I never want to discourage a new holster maker, but I do not think it is doing him a favor to brag on work that is lacking.

The important thing is that it satisfy the customer.

Regards,
    Jerry

jerry,
    What do you mean the "holster is not bonded to the degree I am use to seeing" I don't see that the photo shows a good shot of the edge of the holster. Since I was about to place an order with David I would appreciate your opinion.
    Let me say this that David is very honest that he is starting out in this business and has a lot to learn, he responds very quickly to emails and seems very friendly. I am all for supporting somebody who is still learning as long as it is a cosmetic issue and not affecting, or will affect the integrity of the holster later down the road. What has me most concerned is the stitching being non recessed in the leather.
    Thanks
    NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Jerry M

Thank you for your comments Jerry.
    Yes, I have alot of room for improvement. I have been doing this, without any type of professional guidance, for only 2 plus years.
    My stitcher is a Tippmann Boss, which is a hand crank instead of electric. Yes, I agree my start/stop need work but this was the first holster with a suede back I have ever made. I also use 346 thick thread, which is basically saddle thread; so making it perfect, is taking a bit of time, like all things.
    As far as boning, I cut it as deep as I could and I don't like rubbing exotic skin to the point that it may damage the look or function.
    What makes it worse is lighting of the photo; when I spoke to Heith, he stated it needed the "bag trick" to break it in... I think that is a tight fit. The back is kinda "weak" because of the suede.
    I have been in contact with a "professional" maker who has given me pointers on what I should work on; I appreciate the fact he didn't tell me how so that I find the way that works for me.
    I can promise you, I try to make each holster as perfect as possible... Sometimes everything falls into play, sometimes it doesn't.
    I appreciate your comments and I hope to surprise you with improvement as each holster is made.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    jerry,
    What do you mean the "holster is not bonded to the degree I am use to seeing" I don't see that the photo shows a good shot of the edge of the holster. Since I was about to place an order with David I would appreciate your opinion.
    Let me say this that David is very honest that he is starting out in this business and has a lot to learn, he responds very quickly to emails and seems very friendly. I am all for supporting somebody who is still learning as long as it is a cosmetic issue and not affecting, or will affect the integrity of the holster later down the road. What has me most concerned is the stitching being non recessed in the leather.
    Thanks
    NCH
    I was speaking of boning the holster so that such things as the ejection port on a SA shows to some degree. Of course that can be overdone.
    Take a look here http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/206.jpg
    http://www.delfatti.com/New%20photo%...-HTL&DM-LP.JPG
    http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/216.jpg
    Del Fatti Leather - LP holsters
    Lightning Arms Sports

Please understand that I am not suggesting that you not order from David. If it suits you I know that you are the customer.
    David has not made the number of holsters that the top guys like Del Fatti have, and few have reached his level of skill and design.

All I had in mind was to give some constructive criticism in order to help him.

I appreciate new makers, and we can use all we can get that have the skill to do first class work.

I repeat that we do no favor to a new maker by praising his work without letting him know his shortcomings.
    I would like to see him become the next Lou Alessi.

David, please take this the way it was meant and keep learning. No one reached the top without a lot of experience.

Regards,
    Jerry

Jerry M

Hey Jerry,

I didn't stay a Sergeant because I kept my mouth shut. I almost lost rank because of my candor, and I expect the same from others.
    No, I don't have 27 years of experiance and niether did Mr. Del Fatti, Sparks, etc until people began ordering their holsters. You cannot sit around your room and "practice" this like a guitar; it is a parishable skill that must be honed on a daily basis. The builder must strive to learn new things. My only expectations is if one is going to critique, one should also offer a remedy (maybe I am still too much Army). I understand not everyone is a holster maker and just by looking at a holster, one cannot learn to build one by just that method. I have hundreds of photos of various holsters, from various builders and I like specific things in each one. Not all are perfect. In fact, I am looking at a Kramer that has parts that were not dyed inside because it was dyed after the full stitching. I have a Horseshoe holster that the start/end stitch are ugly and I had to reheat them.
    It's easy to armchair work... heck, I do it everyday when I work my other job. I oversee "crews" who do alot of work in the Florida area and they can seem to screw things up. What I offer them, is a suggestion of how not to make the same mistake again. However, I have been known to fly off the handle and chew some butt because they thought cussing out an employer was the smart thing to do. I didn't offer anything but termination on that one.
    I digress....
    I take everything with a grain of salt. I also try and look at things from both perspectives... Was it perfect? NO. Am I truly happy about the flaws? NO. Is it going to happen again? I will try my best to learn from the mistakes I have made... I am human and everyone's perception of beauty is different. Not to mention it is easier to take the easy road and compliment than it is to offer a correction or critique. Most people do not like confrontation... as long as it is personal, I don't mind it at all.

Hi David,
    [My only expectations is if one is going to critique, one should also offer a remedy (maybe I am still too much Army). I understand not everyone is a holster maker and just by looking at a holster, one cannot learn to build one by just that method.]

Sorry, but I am not a holster maker, and cannot offer suggestions as to how to do it. I have posted photos that show quality holsters that meet or even exceed my standards to purchase. Sure you cannot learn by sitting and looking at photos, but you can compare your work with the best, and that should be a help.

However, if you desire to sell many holsters you are going to have to compete with all other makers. Some are better than others, and no one would expect you to have the skill of Sparks for instance at this point in time.
    But if everyone brags on a holster that is not up to average standards of the craftsmen that frequent this forum the maker might think that he is competitive.

That is the way I see it, and practice it. There is nothing personal about it, but I consider whether I would buy a holster that is posted. If I would not then I cannot in good conscience praise the holster. I could remain silent, but I fail to see how that is a help. I think that is one reason we frequent these type forum.

There are newbies who buy holsters with which they will not long be satisfied. It is cheaper to buy top quality the first time. I have learned that by the "school of hard knocks" and three large drawers full of substandard holsters that I never use.

Nothing personal, but when someone post photos I assume he believes it is a good one, and is likely to receive comments as to the perceived quality of the product..
    Don't be discouraged, and I hope not angered, by my comments. They are honest, and given with a desire to see you improve. Considering the back log of good makers, we can always use another skillful maker.

Regards,
    Jerry

WOW what did I start

I took some more pic's just now to try and show the boning..

I used the flash this time instead of the sun and they look more like the actual color..

The boning may not be as deep as some but the gun is snug in the holster.

To the point of I used the old dress sock trick last night and now it draws perfectly!!

Here is a shot of how it is molding it's self to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links