Holster for a small guy

This is a discussion on Holster for a small guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a holster for a while now. I am 5'6" about 130lbs and only 30" in the waist. The gun I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for a small guy

Holster for a small guy

I have been looking for a holster for a while now. I am 5'6" about 130lbs and only 30" in the waist. The gun I will be carrying is an XD 9mm Subcompact. I was thinking about getting the Supertuck, but I am worried that It will take up half of my back (i am planning on wearing it at about 4 o'clock). I was also looking at the K&D IWBs but I can't wait 14 weeks. Does anyone have some suggestions? Is there an awesome holster for small people out there I have overlooked? Maybe I should get a single clip IWB and wear it at 11ish?

Thanks guys,
    Monkey

2. Remove Ads

*double Post*
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Monkey,
    I am 5-10 150 LBS with a 32" waist. I carry a Glock G33 in a comptac CTAC holster at 4:30. I can conceal using just a T-shirt, granted the shirt isn't skin tight. Here is a thread with a pic of my setup and me wearing it http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-has-one.html Have you considered a CTAC?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am also 5'6" and I wish I were 130 pounds. (I am actually 150 lb and losing very, very slowly.) I carry a Glock 26 which is very comparable to the XD subcompact. I carry mine in a MTAC at about 4:30 to 5:00. As comfortable as it gets. I also just got a High Noon split decision which also works. It prints less, is just as comfortable but has some stability differences as it is held in place by just the one clip.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Have a look at Cross Breed Holster's. They conceal real good and you will forget it is there.

You young guys have it made with the baggy shorts. I'd look like a very old wanna-be thug if I wore something like that. Take advantage of it, use it for all it's worth!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs. You guys are crazy skinny. I ain't a big guy myself.

+1 on the C-TAC
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd like to recommend that you look at the HBE Leatherworks web site and call Eric. His lead time right now is 2-3 weeks. I just bought a COM3 IWB from him and from day of order to being at my door it took under 3 weeks and the work is superb! Are you looking for IWB or OWB? If OWB, consider the one he makes that has one belt loop on the BACK of the hoster and the other on the wing. It's good for small waisted folks.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeystomach View Post
    I have been looking for a holster for a while now. I am 5'6" about 130lbs and only 30" in the waist. The gun I will be carrying is an XD 9mm Subcompact. I was thinking about getting the Supertuck, but I am worried that It will take up half of my back (i am planning on wearing it at about 4 o'clock). I was also looking at the K&D IWBs but I can't wait 14 weeks. Does anyone have some suggestions? Is there an awesome holster for small people out there I have overlooked? Maybe I should get a single clip IWB and wear it at 11ish?

Thanks guys,
    Monkey
    Try a comptac pro undercover wear it @ 3:30 cant go wrong compfortable Comp-Tac : Products

Take a look at Milt Sparks. Matt Del Fatti, Mitch Rosen and Greg Kramer. They all make Holsters and Belts that will work for you.

I'm waiting on a Del Fatti ISP4 for my Glock 19. I don't like or use "tuckable" Holsters, but that's just me. I do have a CTAC but I don't tuck it. In fact I don't use it right now because I have a couple of other Holsters that meet my needs better.

BTW: I'm about your size and I carry a Glock 19, a Glock 26 and a S&W 442 if it's an Autoloader day. Usually though it a Ruger GP100 and an SP101 with the 442 along for the ride.

Biker

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Monkey, you must be my twin! I wear a fullsize M&P in a C-TAC, or a PPS in a CrossBreed SuperTuck. While the SuperTuck is more comfortable, it does take up more room. And room is something that I need, being so skinny. I just about can't fit the two flashlights, cell phone, pistol, extra mag, and Ka-Bar TDI on my belt. That's JUST the belt, not the pockets either. I wear a t-shirt and button-up shirt.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I don't have your kind of figure, but I carry a kahr P9 with a Bianchi #100 IWB at 3:00. I've tried it at 4 & 4:30 but it prints badly there. Under my elbow, almost completely eliminates printing, and is very comfortable. I've found this holster is readily available. I sometimes carry my Para 1911 in the Bianchi #100 in a larger size with same results.
    Good hunting.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Depending on your cover garment, you might consider something along the lines of the Milt Sparks Summer Special or the Executive companion. Otherwise, I would back the suggestion to look into Comp-Tac's gear.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I am 5'10" and 175; and while not as short or light as some others, I have a small frame (used to be 160). I had gotten a few dual offset loop design holster and they were just to wide for me. It felt like it was taking up half of my whole back. It was hard for me to conceal because I could not move the holster enough to find the sweet spot.

I eventually got a Ken Null UNS which while it has a wide paddle, only has a single double wide belt loop. It is an old Seventrees design, which the Milt Sparks Executive Companion also is that Boomstick mentioned. The main differences between Null and the Sparks is that the Sparks has a reinforced mouthband and the loop is interchangeable, while the Null is not reinforced and the loop is an integral part of the holster.

I love the holster and it conceals like a dream for me at 3:30. The belt loop is double wide so it distributes the weight a little and it is solid on the belt. It is shell horsehide so it is a little stiff and takes some time to break in; but now that it has broke in the extra leather to the left and right of the pistol has curved to my body shape making it extremely comfortable and close fitting.

Another issue I had was with holsters that were cut to the exact length of the PM9. With the PM9 having such a short barrel the grip would tilt out because there was not enough holster below the waistband. You might run into a similar issue with the similarly short barreled XD subcompact. The UNS has some extended leather below the barrel to stop this from happening and the leather to the side also helps to stop that.

Not cheap at $120; but the turnaround time for my holster was only a week, so something to consider.

However the CTAC looks great for us small framed guys because of all the adjustments and it is $75. I might have to get one for my CZ P-01. The MTAC looks appealing but I would be a little worried it would to be wide for me as other holsters I have tried.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up Hbe Com Iii

I'm 5' 7" and 170 lbs. Have a 32 " waist so I fall into the small guy category. I HIGHLY recommend HBE Leatherworks COM III for your CC weapon. Own 2 of them, one for my Browning HP and one for my SA Mil-Spec 5". Holsters are the most comfortable IWB's I have ever worn and hide my weapons superbly.

BHP

SA 5"
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...0189_thumb.jpg
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links