Contest

This is a discussion on Contest within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK All, here it is, as promised. At stake is a black IWB with no rake #1-1/2 Kramer Horsehide Holster, left handed, for the best ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contest

Contest

OK All, here it is, as promised. At stake is a black IWB with no rake #1-1/2 Kramer Horsehide Holster, left handed, for the best answer to this question.

Please tell why a handmade holster is better than an off the shelf Holster from a mass maker.

I will determine the best answer. You may answer more than once, but if I determine your first answer is the best one and you then make another entry, the second answer negates your previous answer.

The Holster is slightly used and fits a Commander length 1911. I got it in a contest from Twin Carry, here on this forum. If you win it, and can't use it for one of your guns I'd ask you to keep the contest theme going.

I think it would be kind of fun to see how long we could keep it circulating, so to speak. Nothing says you have to keep the contest in the Holster section though. Just let us that frequent here know where the contest has been moved to on Defensive Carry.

Thanks all and have fun. I will pick the winner in one week from today.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 26th, 2008 at 12:55 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I'm left handed, so I'm disqualified from the prize, but qualified to answer, I think-
    Pride of ownership is #1. Less subjective is finish. Nothing I've seen from the factory beat the DelFatti or Alessi holsters I've had. Fit-I've never seen a factory holster that the gun "pops" into like a bench made one. It is almost like popping the gun into a Kydex holster.
    One more thing...ever try to buy a factory holster that really FITS a one and a quarter inch gun belt, or do you have to be satisfied with one that "is kind of loose on the belt but works"? Haven't tried in a while, but darn sure couldn't some time back!
    Last edited by sheepdog; July 25th, 2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add reason
    What Would Gumby Do?

I'm left handed, so I'm disqualified from the prize,
    No you're not.

A handmade holster has a lot more time put into it. The custom holster maker will also work with you for your needs, and is likely to get a lot of custom problems that the mass makers will not. When he gets a lot of the same types of requests, he can incorporate it into his design, therefore making the entire holster better.

Even a good custom holster maker knows he will never be able to sell the kind of volume that the 'off the shelf' guys can move, so he knows he has to do it with quality and word of mouth. There is a reason why there are 2 or 3 names in the business that constantly come up as great leather makers. There is also a reason why they have such long lead times. They are in demand, and they are in demand because their products work, are comfortable, incredibly concealable, and are pretty impressive to look at, too.

While they may not be the best businessmen, the small custom holster maker provides a product like no other. A piece of leather that is perfectly mated to your carry piece and with a thousand small details that he takes pride in, and that the wearer can take pride in, too.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Simple...

1. They look better
    2. They have the heart of the maker stitched in.
    3. They last longer, eventually making them a much better investment

1 answer, 3 parts.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    The quality of the craftsmanship is MUCH better. They tend to pay attention to every little detail. From the stitching to the edges. I would also think that they are more in tune with what people are looking for since they are more likely to talk/email people personally.

A handmade holster is more likely to be an exact fit for your weapon and therefor will provide maximum accesabliity while at the same time provide retention until the time comes to draw the weapon.

While usually more expensive than an "off the shelf" product, a handmade holster is likely to be more durable and less likely to lose it shape over time.

In general, the handmade holster is the better investment.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Why custom

The craftsmanship that is hopefully evident in every last detail, stiching to leather selection. The fit and finish. and the knowledge that i am supporting a craftsman in his trade.

When you have a custom holster on your hip - your gun now has a permanent home that fits the carrier and the gun perfectly. Now you can have your holster and wear it too.

Because a real cowboy has a five dollar horse and a forty dollar saddle.

I don't have a 1911, so I'll pass. Nice GAW.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

It is actually very simple. The "off the shelf" holsters come from large companies. Large companies are driven by the "bottom line". If they can find a cheaper material to incorporate into their holsters and add a few more dollars to that "Bottom Line" than it is done without thinking. The "off the shelf" companies are unable to accept custom orders from individuals wanting something different.
    A custom holster maker is placing his label on each holster he makes. This mark is part of him, not the company he works for. It is much more than a company logo. He is placing his reputation on each and every creation that leaves his bench. In a day and time when having pride in the work you do seems to be a archaic idea, it is nice to see others that still value their reputation. A custom holster maker isn't driven by the bottom line as much as buy quality. He isn't going to accept materials that aren't top quality and worthy of his name. A custom holster maker also listens to his customers needs and is willing to make adjustments to fit their specific needs.
    In summary you can look at it like the difference between a mass produced Casio wrist watch and a hand fitted Swiss Movement, both will keep good time, but there is just something about the style and quality in that swiss movement. When speaking of the difference between "off the shelf " holsters and the "custom" holsters both will tote a gun but the custom holster becomes part of you and part of the gun, and carries a mans reputation with it, not just a company logo! It's a Concealed Carry Thing, you might not understand!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

JD
    Administrator
    Because I can't find exactly what I want on a shelf.

A special order is just that, special, made the way I want to fit my needs, not the needs of everyone else.

VIP Member
    Personal pride is the answer. We, each one of us, take the time to practice our chosen trade. We refine our techniques and as our abilities grow the end product gets better. So it is with the custom holster maker. Experience and professional pride is sewn in with every stitch. A holster made this way is a one of a kind masterpiece that beams with quality and radiates craftsmanship. It will cradle your weapon like no machine made holster can. Even the smell of finely crafted leather is a thing of beauty.
    When you wear a custom holster your wearing the end result of a mans pride, integrity, and imagination. In the end this is a comparison between the finely crafted creation of a man and the mindless stampings of a machine. For me there really is no comparison.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Because I can't get a mass produced holster trimmed in lovely elephant hide, like I can from Sparks.

Because if any mass producer makes an IWB for 1.5" belts with a forward cant and 2 belt loops- fore and aft of the gun- I haven't found them yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links