Holster Suggestions For Kahr P40 And The New Guy

This is a discussion on Holster Suggestions For Kahr P40 And The New Guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are so many out there!! I have not yet begun to carry and not sure if I am going to be an innie or ...

Thread: Holster Suggestions For Kahr P40 And The New Guy

Holster Suggestions For Kahr P40 And The New Guy

There are so many out there!! I have not yet begun to carry and not sure if I am going to be an innie or an outtie.

I am trying to avoid spending $50 - $100 at ten different places before I find the right one. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    ...Brian

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a Kahr P9 and just got a Canute IWB holster from UBG holsters. It's on the web. The holster is VERY well made, VERY reasonably priced (I think I paid $70.) and the cant, fit, finish, etc. was perfect. There were only two things I noticed and don't care for, the belt loops were a bit oversized in my opinion. Nate at UBG's said this is intentional to allow the holster to ride the right way. At first I didn't like that but it's actuall okay. In fact I just got my MaxCon from Brommeland holsters for a Kahr MK9 and the loops there we're so tight on my gun belt that I wish they were more like the UBG holster

Still, I think the UBG hoster is a fantastic option. Then I'd also recommend the COM3 IWB from HBE leatherworks. I just got one of those too. Its also flawlessly made but it is quite a bit more money.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    First you need to settle if your an " innie " or an " outie " lol . If you absolutely cannot decide and dont mind a wait well call Kevin at K&D and speak to him about the Phoenix special that he designed for me . Yea its a 100 buck holster or so , and yea it has a 12+ week wait . It however will do journeymans duty iwb or owb when it arrives . As of now i carry my Kahr in a much abused don hume clip on ( one day ill take pics of a used carry rig ) but i got one of the K&D holsters for another pistol , and while i will not be backed into the " wait to carry " point for any maker when i get my cheap holster worn compleatly out i will order another from K&D for my kahr . Likely the same holster , just not prettyed up with exotic leather like the last one i got . You might search an informative post here that p95 did on holster/ body types . he missed the mark on some issues but on comfort he is not far from wrong .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I actually already have this Mitch Rosen (came with the pistol) so I am going to try this first around the house. Its very nice quality but I may prefer the IWB. For the record, I am not new to firearms, just holsters.

...Brian

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    You might find the Rosen holster all you want. His holsters are top grade, and in that class "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    If not try Sparks. My favorite OWB holster from Sparks is the I-BAK.

I have a Brommeland Def-Con that is about as perfect as I will ever find.
    If you want something other than your Rosen, try Lightning Arms. They may have what you want, and the mark up is not excessive.
    Lightning Arms Sports

If you prefer IWB my own personal preference is a Sparks ExC, but most seem to prefer a snap holster like his Versa Max. I like the extra skirt on the ExC which forms to the body, and prevents the muzzle end from digging in.

Regards,
    Jerry

I just double checked, and there's no requirement to carry just one way!

That Mitch Rosen won't mind......grab yourself a good IWB and wear them both. You'll likely end up gravitating one way or the other, but there's nothing wrong with having a choice. I dare say, most of us have more holsters than handguns!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Above: BearClaw Holster's Hidden Asset IWB - my most concealable holster.

Another view of the BearClaw Holster's "Hidden Asset", showing it's thinness. IMHO the only thing thinner would be clip-draw.

My newest holster for my Kahr P40, a SideGuard Holsters IWB. I really like how it rides and fits. I'll be writing a review of this holster after I wear it for a few months.

An Alessi ... you'll have a hard time finding one but if you can it's one of the most concealable OWB's you'll find. Outstanding quality.

Above, a Mernickle PS2 - not the most concealable holster ever made but it works and I wear it sometimes.

Summary: My Kahr P40 is my primary carry piece. I carry every day including in my home. All day comfort is a necessity. My first nod goes to BearClaw Holsters - more comfortable than most kydex because it's smooth sided and not all boned out, no corners therefore nothing to jab into your side. Thinner means more comfortable but it also means more concealable. It really hides away like no other holster. My SideGuard is the newest but it's rapidly becoming my favorite leather IWB, very comfortable, great balance of retention and presentation, and of course it's leather :) I have three other IWB's and two other OWB's for this gun, and a couple that I have discarded. These are my favorites as I'm suggesting only the best.

Shoot safe!

That SideGuard looks pretty comfortable and sharp looking too, I like it. What made you decide to go with straps and not the slides?
    ...Brian

I wear Mernickle double-thick gunbelts (own 3 of them) and Eric was concerned that clips would not be a good match - he suggested the loops and they've really worked out great.

A small detail worth noting is that the snaps on the belt loops are some sort of blackish metal - not painted over - which I thought was a nice thing.

Thanks for all the input lance, I would have to say that SideGuard is at the top of the list right now. Price isnt too bad either.
    ...Brian

I carry the Kahr P40. It is a great carry gun. I carry it in a MTAC using the new clips or the Velcro clips with a Beltman that has Velcro sewn on the inside of the belt. The MTAC gives me the ability to OC or CC. To CC I just tuck in my shirt and go. Very comfortable, thin, distributes the weight of the gun very well. BTW the gun belt is the main reason it is so comfy. It really makes that big of a difference.

Edit: Forgot the price. $80.00 plus extra for other clip options. It took a week to come in. Comp-Tac is a great company IMO. Good luck.

EW3

UBG

For OWB, I'd recommend a Regulator from Nate at UBG Holsters. I have one for my CW40 and love it!

beltholsters
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

That looks good too. There are just too dang many!
    ...Brian

I have the p 40 also and have a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Links